OS X Lion on Dell Inspiron n5110

kcpatel83

2 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

Just like you all i am also an experimental person. I have enjoyed different versions of Windows (98, 2000, XP) and Linux on my Pentium-3 :)

But never tested any version of Mac, as not supported by P3. Then i bought Dell Inspiron N5110, preety decent laptop for the price so this time want to enjoy Mac on my dell laptop.

-----------------------------------------------

My Dell Inspiron N5110 configuration:

-----------------------------------------------

Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz

Northbridge Intel Sandy Bridge rev. 09

Southbridge Intel HM67 rev. B3

Samsung 4GB DDR3 SO-DIMM

Intel HD Graphics + nVidia GeForce GT 525M 1GB

ST9500325AS 500GB SATA hard drive

PLDS DVD+RW drive

Intel Centrino Wireless N-1030

Realtek PCIe Ethernet adapter

Renesas USB 3.0

If you dont know your laptop/PC configuration, please downlaod CPU-Z and check your system configuration.

Link to download CPU-Z,

http://www.cpuid.com...61-setup-en.exe

-----------------------------

What is working so far?

-----------------------------

Detects CPU, hard drive, DVD drive perfectly

Intel HD graphics is working fine

Laptop keypad is working fine

Realtek ethernet is working fine

USB 2.0, 3.0 working fine

IDT audio input/output is working fine

--------------------------

What is not working?

--------------------------

tochpad is not working, need USB mouse

nVidia GeForce GT 525M is not working

Intel wireless is not working, and probably will not work

------------------------

How to install?????

------------------------

I assume you all have windows 7 installed and know how to install windows 7.

1) Download iAtkos_L2 dmg image.

2) Buy a good quality blank DVD (preferably Sony,Moserbaer make)

3) Burn dmg image to DVD (4.7 GB) if already Snow leopard installed using Disk Utility.

4) If you are using windows, no worries download latest Transmac trial version.

5) Expand dmg image using Transmac and on completion of expand it will ask if you want to save, select yes and save the image.

6) Burn the saved image to DVD using Transmac at possible slowest rate.

7) Backup your hard drive to any backup media as fress installation will erase your hard drive completely.

8) Restart your system and go to bios setup, select AHCI mode for SATA hard drive and select DVD drive as first boot device sa ve changes and

restart.

9) Put burned iAtkos L2 DVD in DVD drive and press F8 to enable start-up options.

10) Select iAtkos L2 using arrow keys and type -v to boot verbose mode so that you can observe if it stucks anywhere.

11) This should take you to installation prompt, in case it stucks before that try GraphicsEnabler=No -x -v

12) On installation prompt you will will be asked to select language, select whichever language you prefer.

13) Next you will see screen asking you to continue installation. Dont press continue here.

14) Select Disk Utility under Utilities. And create partitions as you like (but atleast 40GB partition to install Lion). Use GUID partition type and format

the partitions with Mac HFS (journeled).

15) Exit Disk Utility and click continue to start installing OS X Lion.

16) Next it will ask you to select partition to install Lion on. Select the one and continue installation.

17) On the left hand cornet you will notice customise button click it to customise your installtion. e.g. select bootloader, kexts and all.

18) Now wait untill installation is completed. Typically on system similar to my configuration will take 10-12 minutes to complete installation. It may

vary on your system.

19) On completion of installtion it will ask for restart, if you dont restart it will automatically restart after 10 secs. I advice let it restart automatically.

20) After restart dont remove installation DVD once again boot using installtion DVD.

21) On installtion prompt open terminal from Utilities and enter below given commands,

rm -rf /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelGMA*

rm -rf /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD3000*

rm -rf /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHDGraphics*

rm -rf /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext

rm -rf /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext

rm -rf /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelSNBVA.bundle

rm -rf /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/ATI*

rm -rf /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/GeForce*

rm -rf /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV*

chown -R root:wheel /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/*

chmod -R 755 /Volumes/YOURMacintoshPartitionName/System/Library/Extensions/*

21) exit terminal and goto Disk Utility, select your macintosh partition and click repair disk permission. On completion restart installer.

22) Now remove installation DVD and boot using Lion installed partition.

23) Thats it, prepare your login account and you are good to go. Enjoy Mac OS X Lion.

24) You can download and install 10.7.4 upgrade combo.

But, i like to tell you this is not a read Mac,this is just to see how mac can be. If you can spend enough money buy a real mac, you can always install windows on real Mac :)

I am going to buy a mac mini for my adventures.

Adios folks.

• 4 months later...