ML installed smoothly, only loads from USB bootloader (Asus G53SW)

noamdev

10 posts in this topic

(Dunno if this belongs in the install forum or post-install forum. If this is the wrong one, please move)

Hi,

I have an Asus G53SW laptop and I installed Mountain Lion alongside Windows 7 from a premade USB image. The installation went smoothly. Afterwards I ran the windows recovery tool to recover my MBR and that went well as well.

I got to a point where :

A - Windows loads clean (so no damage done)

B - I can start both windows and ML from the USB stick loader

So, I'm looking to get the 3rd and final part : loading ML without the USB stick. I have tried a few things and all of them failed :

- Install chameleon from the windows app (reboots immediately)

- Follow various tboot / chain0 methods of editing the windows BMR with bcdedit.exe (always get MBR errors about files being corrupt or not existing)

- Downloaded an ISO of chameleon (r2069), used EasyBCD to add the ISO as a boot option. Chameleon loads fine, get kernel panic when I try to load Mac OSX.

The weird thing is that after all of the attempts, it still works when I boot to it from the USB stick, so it feels like the installation did work.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try / where I should look to find out where the problem is?

Thanks!

- Downloaded an ISO of chameleon (r2069), used EasyBCD to add the ISO as a boot option. Chameleon loads fine, get kernel panic when I try to load Mac OSX.

Can you link your verbos page to see what caused the KP ? Maybe the problem is coming from the FakeSMC.Kext (try to delete the oemsbios inside the plugin folder and boot again).

Hi, here it is :

w2Qg.jpg

Looks like AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.

Also, another thing I found out : If I use the flags -v -c -x then it boots successfully. But I'm not 100% sure what they mean, and I think its better to get it to a cleanly booting state...

Since Windows 7 is my main (first) partition, if I install chameleon on Mac it doesn't pop up in the boot menu.

Googling a bit told me that -x is safe mode, which makes sense that it would change things when booting up. I'm beginning to think that since the USB stick is an installation USB, it automatically adds -x when booting, which is what causes the mac to boot from it.

However, I can boot into safe mode, which is a plus.

Ok... A bit more progress : This thread ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/281404-asus-g53sw-mountain-lion-quick-setup/ ) does give an alternative kext for the one that is crashing for me. The question is - how do I install it? They list macdrive (Which isn't working for me) or an existing installation. Can I use my safe-mode boot to do this? Couldn't find a definitive answer?

(TL;DR : How do I replace a kext when starting OSX in safe mode?)

very easy, boot with -x -f -s

mount /

cd /System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/name_kext_for_remove

reboot

or this from installer

restart KP ANY KEXT?

Boot from your install DVD/USB media,go to the top bar,Utilities > Terminal >:

Type: cd /Volumes/name_of_your_Lion_drive/System/Library/Extensions

Then just remove the offending kext by ex: rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext then just "reboot" Replace the partition and kext names accordingly.

Hi,

I was able to use the "kext utility" from safe mode to update the step1 kexts from the thread I linked to, and it boots! ^_^

I also installed the atheros kexts and now I have wifi, so I'm posting from the hackintosh!

Thanks for the help guys.

Next missions : Get audio working, and fix red<->green color inverting in images (WTF!?!)