I am new to this and searched the forums to no avail. I am attempting to install a retail Mountain Lion to a new OS X virtual machine in VMWare Player 5.0.0 on Win 7 Home Premium (Core i7). I followed the instructions in
1. Buy Mountain Lion (don't run the installer otherwise it'll delete itself)
2. Convert the installer into an ISO: hdiutil convert "Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg" -format UDTO -o "Install Mac OS X Lion.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.iso" as mentioned at http://partnerweb.vm...acOSX_10_7.html
3. Copy the ISO (you'll have to rename it from .iso.cdr to .iso) to the host
4. Install Workstation 9
5. Run VMWare unlocker 1.1.0 found here: http://www.insanelym...-os-x-unlocker/
6. Mount the ISO in the machine's CDROM settings
7. Create a new Virtual Machine for Mountain Lion
8. Install Mountain Lion inside the VM
9. Install VMWare tools using darwin.iso that came with the unlocker
10. You're done.
but in Player 5, not Workstation 9 and everything is good to step 8, but when I boot from the iso I get the "beach ball of death" and am unable to get to the installer. I have attached the .vmx, has anyone else had this issue? I would like to install from the clean retail iso!
Sorry, it won't let me attach the .vmx
1 reply to this topic
Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:38 AM
Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:47 AM
I figured out the problem, I was using a .vmx and .vmdk from TonyMac. I started a new clean virtual machine with new virtual hard drive in VMWare Player and the .iso installer ran without a hitch. It could not have been easier!
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users