I need help

5 posts in this topic

I am an OSX86 noob, so please forgive any stupid questions.

I have a dell XPS 17-L702x, and I followed this tutorial but I can't seem to get it to work:

http://www.insanelym...s/page__st__440

Here is what I did:

1. I tried installing iAtkos L2 without any modifications, the DVD boots just fine, then I go through the installation wizard with no problems, then comes the actual installation which gets stuck at about 60-70% with 4 mins remaining (or 30-40% if I customize the installation and tick everything).

2. I tried this method to boot from USB using a VM:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhXogfrvTQk

that didn't work either, the computer says no operating system found (and on my HP laptop, it just skips and goes right to windows, and yes the HP does support USB booting)

3. Using transmac I tried restoring the 10.8.2 image to an 8GB USB drive and then installed Chameleon using the VM and this installer: http://tonymacx86.bl...-installer.html , also to no avail: the computer says no operating system found.

Here comes the noob questions:

1. If I install OSX using the iAtkos L2 installer, would the installed mess with my existing Windows 8 bootloader?

2. The L702x supports eSata booting, can I restore the image to an external eSata drive and boot from it every time I want to get into OSX?

3. How can I use the XPS Image?

4. What am I doing wrong?

These are my specs:

Dell XPS 17-L702x: Intel Core i7-2720QM, 6GB DDR3-1333MHz, Geforce 555M 3GB with Optimus, 120GB Intel 330 SSD and Seagate 500GB 7200rpm HDD, B3 Motherboard Revision, Windows 8 Pro.

Update: after following the mentioned tutorial for the DVD installation of iAtkos, the installation now finishes, but the OS doesn't boot, without a booting CD, it says that there is no operating system, with a booting CD it just hangs at the apple logo.

Thank you,

EDIT MODERATOR :

Your topic does not deserve any more attention than others seeking help hence topic titles must reflect their content, and topic titles containing things like: 'please help' 'look here' 'cash reward' 'urgent' or other inaccurate descriptions will be removed. This includes all-caps titles.

Edited by fantomas1

First, never check every option, on anything. Your install that completed won't boot without CD until you finish the first boot and install a boot loader. boot with -v and see where it hangs, grey apple logo isn't very useful to trouble shoot.

Can you please tell me:

Do I need to take my windows HDD out when I install, since I want to preserve Windows Bootloader settings?

Does the OSX installation mess with the main drive's bootloader settings even if it is installed on the secondary HDD?

Thanks

Typically, it's installing Windows that destroys other bootloaders, but anything can happen, especially when your still learning. So if you can take out your Windows drive and eliminate any possibility, why not do it?

It's much easier to connect an HDD to an ESata port than it is to open the laptop trap door and change hard drives; however, since I am using windows 8 and it took me sometime to make all the drivers work, then I am going to take it out. Better safe than sorry, Right?

I'll take your advice and report back.

Thank you

Regards