Would like to buy this weekend. I need some guidance.

10 posts in this topic

I stumbled upon this site from a place I will not mention. This place seems way more helpful and the average user seems much more knowledgeable.

I am planning a build that I plan to use for some video encoding/music editing/streaming of video and just general use. I plan to triple boot windows linux and osx. I am also looking to get into gaming eventually and will upgrade the gpu at that time. I am having a hard time selecting a cooler and case for some reason and have questions on some motherboard compatability. Feedback will be very helpful for me.

Have-

cpu - i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)

psu -XFX XXX Edition P1-650X-CAG9 650W

gpu -EVGA 01G-P3-1371-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) FPB EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

ssd- Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL60GB-DX 2.5" 60GB Will use for linux.

HDD- Western Digital WD Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare

Planning to get

mobo-

either GA-Z77X-UD5H or GA-Z77X-UP5-TH

from what I understand gigabyte plays very well with osx and i believe linux which is why its at the top of my list.

I am also interested in either the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT or ASRock Z77 Extreme4 I am not sure on compatability with these two boards I don't see as many guides.

ssd either OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) or SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The Vertext 4 looks to be a little faster in regard to write time but from what I've seen the 830 is very highly suggested because of compatibillity in OSX. I will get the 830 for OSX and the Vertext 4 for windows.

ram- CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M4A1600C9

case.

I like

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case

This case is awesome. There are a few things that I think could be refreshed. It seems like the front I/O ports now include a usb 3.0. I like the fact that it is roomy enough for me to work in and grow so to speak.

650d- Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Steel structure with black brushed aluminum faceplate ATX Mid Tower Computer Case I like the look of this case as well its very similar to the 800d but has been updated a bit.

I am also considering the Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case because its supposed to be very quiet.

NZXT SWITCH 810 White CA-SW810-W1 I really like the way this case looks as well and I have read great things about the innovation, I like the fact that its new. Then I have also read that it is plasticy and poor quality.

Finally the BitFenix Shinobi XL Window White Steel I also really like the way this case looks I like the 'charge' port that is on the front.

CPU COOLERS

I have only used the corsair h50 never used air before so i am afraid of them being loud.

I am considering the antec 920, the corsair h100 and h80 and for air i am considering Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme I like the way the cooler looks have read mixed reviews don't know if its loud or not.

as well as the Phanteks PH-TC14PE 140mm

I know i am all over the place but i am having a terrible time choosing! Thanks for the input anything at all will help.[/background][/size][/font][/color][/background][/size][/font][/color]

Sounds like you've done you homework, so the final decision on most of that will come down to personal preference, budget and availability. I'm an ASUS guy and I'll be damned if anybody tells me installation will be more difficult, sounds like a challenge :) But seriously, don't know of any issues with any of them and both ASUS and Gigabyte are excellent quality mobos overall. If you get a big beautiful case like the legendary Corsair 800d :thumbsup_anim: I suggest holding off on your final cooling plans until you've had it a little while and can explore it's vast expanses which will probably lead to at least one 360 radiator being installed, the stock case fans and basic CPU cooler will do fine until then. Hot swap bays are now available with SATA-3 backplanes and front panel with USB 3.0, the fact that they offer those upgrades not just to new buyers but to existing owners at very reasonable cost, along with other spare parts availability also speaks well for the future and is rare to get continued support on a "case" of all things. 800D may be big and expensive, but will last forever and I could never go back to a smaller case again now, would have to split my system into two new baby systems or something :) Have fun, post picks when your done either way!

Thanks eep! Last time I built I didn't pick parts wisely enough so I am trying to do so this time around!

Your setup is great! I am going back and forth with the 800D and the fractal r4 I'll get it figured out. Thanks for your help.

Once you go Corsair Obsidian Black-you'll never go back! :)

It's the weight, especially when fully loaded with goodies, that I think should be the biggest consideration vs size. Weighs 41lbs (18.5kg) empty. Add water cooling, graphics card(s), mobo, stack of drives and other stuffs, easy to get into 120lb+. Make sure any LAN parties are at your house :)

• Like 1

Once you go Corsair Obsidian Black-you'll never go back! :)

It's the weight, especially when fully loaded with goodies, that I think should be the biggest consideration vs size. Weighs 41lbs (18.5kg) empty. Add water cooling, graphics card(s), mobo, stack of drives and other stuffs, easy to get into 120lb+. Make sure any LAN parties are at your house :)

I just have friends come and move it to were we are going because they insist on not having lan parties at my house...

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone, I am looking for information on how well the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH works compatibility wise. I am looking to build again and this is the board I am looking to base the build around.

did you go with it Maxlol? if so how did the build go and have you been happy with it?

looking for info prior to grabbing the board.

HBP

Hello everyone, I am looking for information on how well the GA-Z77X-UP5-TH works compatibility wise. I am looking to build again and this is the board I am looking to base the build around.

did you go with it Maxlol? if so how did the build go and have you been happy with it?

looking for info prior to grabbing the board.

HBP

He has not posted in a long time. There is no known issues with that MB at this time.