[Guide] ML 10.8.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

- - - - - dell optiplex 780 guide Mountain Lion osx tech erra osx86 project insanelymac

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

polyzargone

polyzargone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

What about the kexts that you must have in 10.8 folder ? Make sure you have FakeSMC.kext at least.

Also, boot in verbose mode please…

bocajoe

bocajoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

What about the kexts that you must have in 10.8 folder ? Make sure you have FakeSMC.kext at least.

Also, boot in verbose mode please…

I copied the 10.11 kexts (fakeSMC, USB_Injector & Intel82566m) from my working El Capitan into my Mountain Lion USB 10.8 kexts folder AND ALSO put the same 10.11 kexts into my 10.8 folder on my El Capitan EFI HDD.

Also, I just tried booting in verbose mode but still seem to be getting the spinning beachball cursor once verbose is done and the grey screen pops up. 

bocajoe

bocajoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

This is what I've done so far (with LOTS of excellent help from polyzargone)...

I made the Mountain Lion USB by restoring Mountain Lion (Mac OS X Install ESD) in Disk Utility and named the USB "ML-USB"

then from Terminal:

es/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB

cp -/Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/ML-USB

rm /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages

cp -/Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages

Then used Clover Installer with these settings 

• Install Clover in ESP
  • Boot loader: Install boot0af in MBR
  • CloverEFI: 64-Bits SATA 
  • Themes: BootCamp
  • Install RC Scripts on Target Volume
  • Install Clover Preference Pane

Then copied my EFI 10.11 kexts from my working Dual Boot El Capitan/10 to the Mountain Lion USB pen 10.8 kexts folder and also added the 10.11 kexts to my working El Capitan 10.8 kexts folder. I also add the working DSDT to the Mountain Lion USB pen.

When I boot from the Mountain Lion USB from Clover in verbose it shows all the verbose text then the Apple grey screen appears and the cursor is just a spinning beachball even after 20 minutes.

Any ideas? My brain is hurting... this is the end of night 3 "TRYING" to get this working  :(  But I'm not giving up!

polyzargone

polyzargone

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

I made the Mountain Lion USB by restoring Mountain Lion (Mac OS X Install ESD) in Disk Utility and named the USB "ML-USB"

then from Terminal:

es/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB
cp -a /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/ML-USB
rm /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages
cp -a /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages

Not sure what you meant by :

What's "es/"Mac OS X Install ESD" ? es is not a valid terminal command :wacko:

Anyway, if you restored the InstallESD/BaseSystem.dmg to your USB pen then ran the "cp /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB" command in terminal, you made the same thing twice !

Basically, the cp command will copy the content of BaseSystem.dmg in the root of ML-USB which is exactly what the Restore function does.

Then copied my EFI 10.11 kexts from my working Dual Boot El Capitan/10 to the Mountain Lion USB pen 10.8 kexts folder and also added the 10.11 kexts to my working El Capitan 10.8 kexts folder. I also add the working DSDT to the Mountain Lion USB pen.

You're aware that you need to replace (not merge) the whole CLOVER folder in the EFI folder of your USB pen by the one in your current working El Cap and not just add the kexts from 10.11 to the 10.8 folder aren't you ?

That means you must have the correct DSDT.aml file in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched for both CLOVER folders (USB pen & HDD) and also the same config.plist.

In other words, the CLOVER folder must be strictly the same for both USB pen & HDD (assuming you filled both 10.11 & 10.8 folders with same kexts).

[EDIT]

OK, got it !

It was a typo wasn't it ? I mean, the strange command you mentioned :

Was actually :

cp /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB

bocajoe

bocajoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Not sure what you meant by :

What's "es/"Mac OS X Install ESD" ? es is not a valid terminal command :wacko:

Anyway, if you restored the InstallESD/BaseSystem.dmg to your USB pen then ran the "cp /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.dmg /Volumes/ML-USB" command in terminal, you made the same thing twice !

Basically, the cp command will copy the content of BaseSystem.dmg in the root of ML-USB which is exactly what the Restore function does.

You're aware that you need to replace (not merge) the whole CLOVER folder in the EFI folder of your USB pen by the one in your current working El Cap and not just add the kexts from 10.11 to the 10.8 folder aren't you ?

That means you must have the correct DSDT.aml file in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched for both CLOVER folders (USB pen & HDD) and also the same config.plist.

In other words, the CLOVER folder must be strictly the same for both USB pen & HDD (assuming you filled both 10.11 & 10.8 folders with same kexts).

[EDIT]

OK, got it !

It was a typo wasn't it ? I mean, the strange command you mentioned :

Was actually :

sorry, yes the 1st was a typo. It was supposed to read: 

cp -a /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/BaseSystem.chunklist /Volumes/ML-USB

rm /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages

cp -a /Volumes/"Mac OS X Install ESD"/Packages /Volumes/ML-USB/System/Installation/Packages

I didn't realize I did the same thing twice with the ESD and the CP, but thank you.

I'm going to go back and make sure I "replace" the entire Clover folder from my working El Capitan to the USB so they both match. I think I'm getting closer here, I feel it!

bocajoe

bocajoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

OK. Midnight here so I'm retiring for the night but I'll be back at this in the morning and maybe a little fresher. Thanks polyzargone for all the help!

bocajoe

bocajoe

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Back at it again. I have a 2nd hard drive with Mountain Lion installed that I was able to do somewhere along this process.

Not sure if I did this right, but I installed Clover on the ML 2nd drive with these options

• Install Clover in ESP
  • Boot loader: Install boot0af in MBR
  • CloverEFI: 64-Bits SATA 
  • Themes: BootCamp
  • Install RC Scripts on Target Volume
  • Install Clover Preference Pane

then I copied my working El Cap EFI/Clover folder which has kext for 10.11 and 10.8 onto the ML EFI. It does have the working DSDT

When I boot the machine Clover shows the ML drive and allows me to try to boot from it. When I boot ML in verbose mode it displays all the text after a minute or two it boots back into BIOS. But when I boot in SAFE mode it boots ML just fine. Looks like I'm getting closer  :)

Any ideas why it only boots in safe mode????? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dell, optiplex, 780, guide, Mountain Lion, osx, tech erra, osx86 project, insanelymac

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2016 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy