[Guide] ML 10.8.X - Dell Optiplex 780 (760)

pepto

127 posts in this topic

@Willy, you have to roll back AppleACPIPlatform.kext. Boot to safe mode with -x flag. Remove AppleACPIPlatform.kext from S/L/E and replace it with older version using kext utility. This solved the same problem for me.

tried and nothing worked, so i just gave up on this

• 5 weeks later...

[message sent to pepto]

Hi !

Great job for your guide but i'm stucked in the installation process.

Here's my specs :

Optiplex 760 SFF Intel Pentium E2220 @ 2,4 GHz

3 GB RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5450

Internal Drive : 160 GB

External USB Drive 1 TB with a 200 GB Mac OS HFS+ Journaled formated partition

Other hardware is standard Dell Optiplex 760 config

100% legal copy of Mountain Lion (from Apple servers with the Internet Recovery system)

I followed every steps of your guide, booting is fine but when I try to launch the installation, it says that it cannot because Essential systems components are missing. I tried to install in french and english, it's the same.

I also tried to skip OS Install and OS Intall.mpkg steps in your guide living the original files from the original Mac OS Install ESD but still the same.

I can't figure where I'm wrong because I tried all options. Any ideas ?

By the way, do you know what model of motherboard the Optiplex 760 is equivalent to ? I want to try Kakewalk but I don't know how to choose between Gigagbyte list of motherboards (list at : http://www.kakewalk.se/compatibility/)

Thanks for help and great job !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and thanks for help !

Your kext works fine though I had no problems with the one I previously used. Sound outpout works both headphones (green front) line out (green rear). Microphone (pink front) is Ok but line-in (blue rear) doesn't. Seems HDMI audio isn't working too as it isn't displayed in system preferences audio panel (I don't remember if it was before with the voodoo kext I used ^_^ but I think it was).

Beside, I don't have OpenGL acceleration anymore, AMD drivers loads and works fine, Quartz is enabled with full resolution support and card is perfectly recognized as a 128 Mb Radeon HD 5000 Series. HDMI video outpout is fine. The anly annoying problems I encounter is with power Management : the Dell can't be put in sleep mode and if I try to do so, it just stop displaying the screen and never let it back. And just for the cosmetic side, the card is shown as a Radeon HD 5000 series, not as a Radeon HD 5450. I can send you my chameleon boot plist, DSDT, smbios kexts, IOreg log and screen capture of system profile if you want to.

I tried a lot of ways but finally, the best config I obtained was reinstalling ML from scratch, following to the letter the tuto and using files from http://www.osx86.net/view/3043-ati_radeon_hd5450_with_full_qe-ci_support.html and that's it.

Hope this help !

When you update to mac os x 10.8.3 you need a fix for the ati radeon graphicscard, because QE/CE dont work anymore.

First you have to delete all ati related kext and amd kext in system/library/extensions. Then you have to install the kext files of this package. What I did is open kext helper. Then i drag the files in kext helper. wait. After that i open kext helper again to repair permissions. Finally i reboot and it works smoothly.

download link files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iwic1uww32kli8i/mountain%20lion%20fixed%2010.8.3.zip

I didn't updated ML because I've got a MacBook Air and I used the internet recovery tools to get the very latest build of 10.8.3 directly from the Apple's servers. Here's what I exactly did :

• Created a USB Installation Disk with myHack tools and my ESD Install.dmg

• Booted from the USB stick and proceeding the ML 10.8.3 installation.

• Booted from HD and finished the Mac OS configuration process.

• Installed AppleIntelE1000e.kext to activate my ethernet connection and audio with voodooHDA.kext downloaded from the Guide ML 10.8.3 Dell Optiplex 780 (760).

• Installed the ATI/AMD kexts from the link I mentioned above.

• Edited the DSDT following the instructions for DSDT patching with the files in the archive of the link (DSDT Patch for Radeon HD 5450) and edited the AppleGraphicPowerManagement.kext following the instructions with AppleGraphicsPowerManagement Patch.

• Finally installed the NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and EVOenabler.kext.

• That's it.

As I mentioned earlier, the only things that doesn't really work nicely are Sleep/Wake mode and cosmetic issues with displaying the exact Radeon model in system Profile. But that's no big deal for me though I would be glad to have a 100% fully functional Hackintosh.

If someone can find the fix, I think I would post a fully functional archive of my files for Dell Optiplex 760 in the download section of insanelymac for those who own the same config.

• Like 1

Thanks for the file matthijs465 i will ad the modified voodooHDA in the install files and the documents after testing on a 780.

pepto

I'm not sure of this audio kext will work. But i modified the voodoohda kext for the dell optiplex 780. maybe someone can test this kext. It's a voodooHDA kext. I want to know of the rear output works in mac os x mountain lion.

well guys, just for feedback, ML 10.8.4 works fine for me :-)

Just to re-add vendor and product id and now my Radeon HD 5450 is fully recognized. Nothing new with voodooHDA kext, the sound works as before and still no HDMI output

Oke i have today also updated to 10.8.4 and had to modify the AMDRadeonAccelerator.kext and the ATI5000Controller.kext for my Sapphire videocard to make QE/CI to work.

I have uploaded the new files and the new tutorial is ready.

I have also a new Install780.zip with the modified VoodooHDA.kext from Matthijs465, Thanks for that.

I wanna thank Pingu Matthijs465 and all other forum members who are helping me out with this tutorial without the community i never had begin this topic onec again thanks everyone.

Pepto

Thanks for the guide Pepto. I was using this for my Optiplex 760 and I ran into the same issue as polyzargone regarding the essential system software and it relates to the OS install files you have in your package. Updated files are available at http://www.osx86.net...o=file&id=2902. Explanation and credits for helping me figure this out goes to the folks in this topic: http://www.insanelym...rces-not-found/

I also ran into an issue with the chameleon bootloader giving me the boot0 error. The newer version should fix this.

I ended up using the myhack method to do the install, but am currently running into issues with my GeForce 9300 GE. If anybody else has had issues with this card and has some fixes or a link to a guide that could help me with this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Edit: Update to let you guys know I got the GeForce 900 up and running. Only issue I'm running into now is getting the app store working. When I try to log in it gives me an unknown error has occurred or if I click create new account it just shows the loading icon but never does anything. I have an SMBios with a good serial number and I've done the EFI string for the network adapters (and also trying built in LAN) in the Boot.plist and deleting everything and the network.plist. Anyone have any ideas to assist in this?

How high is the confidence level that it will work on an Optiplex 760 the same way - can anybody confirm success?

Thanks

I will be giving you a detailed description of my 99.9% working Optiplex 760, using this guide and others in a follow-on post....

Are you using HDMI cable for sound ??

If yes then try to use your jack ports from the motherboard, i also had problems with HDMI and sound now i have my speakers on my motherboard.

The audio controller onboard is a ADI 1984A HDA and i have used VoodooHDA.kext v. 2.62 (x86_64) witch is in the install files.

I am using the green sound out port on the back of the tower. As it turned out, The newer VoodooHDA Kext I was using was the problem - every time I re-booted, I had to go back in to the VoodoHDA System Prefs pane and re-enable all the sliders MANUALLY. I have recently gone back to using the 2.6.2 version of the VoodooHDA Kext, which seems to be the best version for the onboard audio hardware that is in the Optiplex 760. I know it's going to work on startup, as there's a slight "pop" in the speakers. This sound is absent if an incompatible audio Kext is installed.

Now the only problem I have is "Monitor Spanning". I have full 1600x1200 resolution on BOTH of my Dell 2001FP monitors. (One is connected to the DVI port, the other to VGA). Using the instructions I found for enabling QE/CI, I now have that working as well. That said, no matter what settings I try or Kexts I install, I cannot get it to use the second monitor as an "exteneded display" like it did in 10.8.3. In other words, it will only display the same image on both (Mirrored Mode). When I open the Displays Pref pane, there are no options for either Mirroring or any alternatives. Is it possible I need to add a third-party "patch" to fix this? (The old "MirrorDisplays" App doesn't work in ML). Any help would be greatly appreciated (I'm so close - this is the ONLY THING that isn't working perfectly). I was also able to get the App Store working using the complex-but-detailed instructions on this matter. WHAT A PITA! (GRIN)

Today i have problems with my audio the latest kext file wasn't good. I have tested it not so good and now i have put back the old VoodooHDA, i have put the file in the Install780.zip. Sorry folks

About dual monitor i have no clou Maybe you can ask in a topic of someone can help you out with it, sorry that i can't help you

Strange that it worked in 10.8.3 - I wonder what changed? I tried using the Kexts from 10.8.3, but it didn't help. I assume there are multiple places in several files where the Video Card's Vendor ID must be inserted (Info.plist) - my problem is, I don't know which ones make the crucial difference and whether that also affects the "monitor spanning" functionality. (My Card's Vendor ID is: 0x68f91002, ATI Radeon HD 5450 "Cedar")

Anyone out there with an ATI Radeon HD 5450 running 10.8.4 with two monitors and "spanning" is functional?

Thank you for the terrific guide. I successfully installed 10.8.4 on a 780. Everything works fine except the audio volume. I have sound but cannot adjust the volume. I've tried both Voodoo kexts. 

Another forum suggested a USB audio device. Has anyone had success with one?

Thank you for the terrific guide. I successfully installed 10.8.4 on a 780. Everything works fine except the audio volume. I have sound but cannot adjust the volume. I've tried both Voodoo kexts. 

Another forum suggested a USB audio device. Has anyone had success with one?

do you have icone volumes ?? and do you try this installer, because its work perfect on my optiplex 755

http://www.osx86.net/view/2746-voodoohda_2.8.4_pkg_installer.html

Thanks for the reply.

The Voodoo installer gives me a new preference pane but there is still no volume control. The icons and slider all respond to the mouse but they have no effect on the sound volume.

I've ordered a USB Stereo Audio Adapter and will see whether this works.

• 2 weeks later...

"2. Requirements
Here are the requirements:

• A copy of Mac OS X – This can be in the form of an existing hackintosh, a virtual machine within Windows or Linux, or even a regular Mac. If you don’t have any of these things, then find someone who can help you out for a while. I prefer using a hackintosh with OSX Lion.
    Using an already working copy of Mac OS X either in a VM or a native hackintosh install is HIGHLY recommended.

A copy of Mountain Lion 10.8 GM – If you don’t have a Mac Developer Account, then you’ll find torrents of 10.8 around the web"

I dont understand this part. First it says i need a copy of MAC OS X, So i purchased and downloaded 10.8 from the Appstore. Then it says i also need a copy of Mountain Lion 10.8 GM. I dont see where is the 10.8 GM used in the tutorial. Am i missing something ??

"2. Requirements

Here are the requirements:

• A copy of Mac OS X – This can be in the form of an existing hackintosh, a virtual machine within Windows or Linux, or even a regular Mac. If you don’t have any of these things, then find someone who can help you out for a while. I prefer using a hackintosh with OSX Lion.

Using an already working copy of Mac OS X either in a VM or a native hackintosh install is HIGHLY recommended.

A copy of Mountain Lion 10.8 GM – If you don’t have a Mac Developer Account, then you’ll find torrents of 10.8 around the web"

I dont understand this part. First it says i need a copy of MAC OS X, So i purchased and downloaded 10.8 from the Appstore. Then it says i also need a copy of Mountain Lion 10.8 GM. I dont see where is the 10.8 GM used in the tutorial. Am i missing something ??

Its easy you need a working MAC to make the Mountain Lion USB and the tutorial is writen when 10.8 was in beta.

Maybe i must change the text.

tried and nothing worked, so i just gave up on this

Followed the Guide

Installed combo update 10.8.4

Rerun the Chameleon install

Installed Videofix1084

As with you, I crashed at com.apple.driver.AppleRTC

(As said by Rebel09)

I just updated AppleACPIPlatform.kext while in safe mode [-x] and it fixed the com.apple.driver.AppleRTC crash for me.

Thanks for the guide Pepto

Its easy you need a working MAC to make the Mountain Lion USB and the tutorial is writen when 10.8 was in beta.

Maybe i must change the text.

I had to use chameleon wizard to generate a random serial/model number before iCloud and the APPstore would work [ I'm a Hackintosh noob ].

• 3 weeks later...

I did this guide and all worked out and OSX is up and running but the dell 780 has a intel gma video onboard and its laggy. I have two other cards. Nvidia FX 5200 and the 8400 and I can not for the life of me get them to work. Any tips?