Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Mac Install Guide

cbushjr56

29 posts in this topic

UPDATED!!!!

Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Hackintosh Mac OS X 10.8.0 Build
This guide is for the build that I have done and is specific to the hardware I choosen to use. I am not saying that this guide can not be used with other hardware configurations, just it will work 100% with the hardware below. A DSDT is not require if you boot the drive with UEFI, the GT 640 is works without any extra kexts.

The Hardware:
I have searched the internet looking for the best parts to build a Hackintosh That would be 100% working and as Vanilla as possible. So on with the show.

Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard
Intel i5-3450 Quad-Core at 3.1GHz
Corsair CAFA50 120mm CPU Cooler
16GB Patriot Intel Extreme Master, Limited Edition DDR3 1600 RAM
Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GT 640 2GB video card
OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III SSD – Mac OS X 10.8.2 Drive
Seagate ST31000528AS 1TB Hard Drive – Windows 7 Drive
Maxtor STM31000340AS 1TB Hard Drive – Storage Drive
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply
Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus Case
BenQ RL2450HT MLG Pro Circuit Tournament Monitor

You will also need the following:
A working install of OS X
An 8GB or larger USB drive
Download Mac OS X Mountain Lion from the appstore

NOTE: All essential utilities, kexts and Extra folder listed in 1.B, 1.C & 1.D can be downloaded here. The zip file contains all the software, kexts & Extra listed above. I have also included this guide and screen shots of the BIOS settings for the Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H motherboard.

1.B. Essential Software
You will need to obtain the following. I suggest you place them all in the same folder along with the essential kexts below for use later:
1. The Chameleon boot loader, the latest version of which can always be found here (You want "The Latest Trunk PKG ~ Standard and Official Revision"):
2. Chameleon wizard to create a smbios (basically identify your machine as a mac) and to help with bootloader problems
3. System info for finding device ID’s for general post-install troubleshooting (Check you get the Mac version).
4. DSDT editor for extracting your DSDT once were up and running:
5. Kext utility for installing additional kexts.
6. Wizzard is used for showing/hidding hidden files.

1.C. Essential Kexts (kernel extensions)
1. FakeSMC.kext – absolutely essential – tricks OS X into thinking it’s a real Mac
2. NullCPUPowerManagement.kext – generally required initially to prevent kernel panics, may not be needed once AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement is patched after install.
3. VoodooHDA.kext – required for audio.
4. AtherosL1cEthernet.kext – required of network.

Part 2 - Creating the installer
2.A. Preparing the USB
1. In your working OS X install open Disk Utility
2. Click on your USB drive in the left sidebar
3. Click the “Partition” tab
4. Under “Partition Layout” click “1 Partition”
5. Click Options -> select “GUID Partition Table”; check the format is set to “Mac OS X Extended (Journeled)”; name it “USB”
6. Click Apply

2.B. Creating the OS X installer on the USB drive
1. Show hidden files in finder by opening Terminal (in utilities) and typing (copy / pasting) the following:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
then
killall Finder
2. Mount your Mountain Lion DMG. If using a copy downloaded from the app store: Navigate to Applications (which is where it will save your downloaded copy of ML by default) -> right click "Install OS X Mountain Lion" and click "Show Package Contents" -> Contents -> SharedSupport -> Double click "InstallESD.dmg"
3. Mount BaseSystem.dmg by typing the following in terminal:
open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg
4. Go back to disk utility and click on “Mac OS X Base System”, click the “Restore” tab then drag and drop your USB to “destination” and click restore then erase. This will take a while.
5. You’ll now have 2 “Mac OS X Base System”s present in Finder, right click them and “get info” to determine which is your USB drive (hint: look at the size).
6. Navigate to the one which is your USB drive, open it and go to /System/Installation. Delete the “Packages” link then create a folder called “Packages”.
7. Open a new Finder window and navigate to “Mac OS X Install ESD”. Copy everything inside the packages folder to the packages folder you have just created. This will take a while.
8. Copy mach_kernel from “Mac OS X Install ESD” to the root of your USB drive.

2.C. Patching the installer for a PC:
1. Copying the following kexts to /System/Library/Extensions on the USB stick:
FakeSMC.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
VoodooHDA.kext
AtherosL1cEthernet.kext
Note: You may have to rename or delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext only on the USB stick:
AppleTyMCEDriver.kext → AppleTyMCEDriver.kext.old
2. Run the chameleon installation package and ensure to choose your USB drive as the destination.
3. Go to the root of your USB drive and create a folder called “Extra”. This is used to store configuration files for the chameleon boot-loader.
4. Open Chameleon wizard, click the “SMBios” tab then click "Edit". Now there is a list of “Premade SMBioses”. Look through this list to see which relates best to your PC (Hint: iMac 12.2 for modern desktops or MacBook Pro 8.3 for modern laptops is a good place to look to start with). Click “Save As” and save it to the /Extra folder we created on the USB stick.
Note: I have included the org.chameleon.Boot.plist and the SMBios.plist All ready set up for the GA-Z77DS3H motherboard & nVidia GT 640 video card. Just copy the Extra folder in the zip file to the root of the USB drive.
5. Copy the folder of Essential Software & Extra folder to the root of your USB stick.

2.D Hide hidden Files
4. Hide hidden files in finder by opening Terminal and typing:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
then
killall Finder

Part 3 – Installing OS X:
Please note: Parts 6.2 & 6.3 & 6.4 below are very important to a good build; just because you make it to the desktop in the next few steps doesn't mean your hacking is over.
3.A Installing OS X
1. Stick the USB drive in the computer you wish to install ML on and boot from your USB drive. If you’re unsure how to do this when your computer first turns on look for a prompt that says “Press X for boot selection menu” (where X is a key) or something of that effect. Common keys are F8 & F12.
2. When Chameleon comes up press enter to boot OS X. The OS X installer should boot. Go to the utilities menu and click disk utility. Select the disk / partition you wish to install OS X to, call it "OS X" and format it as “Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)” (See Part 2.A. if you’re a bit rusty with disk utility). N.B. For those dual booting on the same HDD as Windows ensure you've got the Partition Scheme as MBR.
3. Follow the installer to install OS X to the desired partition.
4. Once the installer is finished it will reboot, on reboot boot back into the install USB - NOT OS X!

3.B Fixing the OS X install
1. From the installer go to Utilities and Terminal.
2. Type cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
3. Type cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/VoodooHDA.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
4. Type cp –R /System/Library/Extensions/AtherosL1cEthernet.kext /Volumes/"OS X"/System/Library/Extensions/
4. Type reboot
NOTE: Include the quotes in the lines above. This assumes your install partition is called “OS X” as I said above. If for whatever reason you called it something else replace “OS X” with whatever you called it.

Part 4 – Booting ML
1. Reboot your system and boot to the USB stick again but this time select your OS X install. This should boot you into your installed copy of ML.
2. Open "System Preferences" go-to "Security and Privacy", click the lock and give it your password then set "Allow applications downloaded from" to anywhere.
3. Navigate to your folder of essential software on the USB drive and run the chameleon package, install it to your OS X drive.
4. Copy the Extra folder on your USB drive to the root of your HDD (open Finder -> Go -> Computer -> OS X -> paste folder).
5. Reboot and let the computer boot from your HDD, select OS X and it should boot straight to ML.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am reading this post, since I have partially the same components, as you can see below:

CPU; Intel core i5 2320 socket 1155

Mobo: GA-Z77-DS3H

RAM: 8Gb Corsair vengeance [2x 4Gb kit]

SSD HD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III

Here are my queries:

About the mobo, what does Update the BIOS to F8 mean?

I have no extra graphics card, and I need to know for sure if the CPU's integrated HD2000 Gpu will work for hackintosh. From many forums and searched I did not found a convincing reply, however others told me that the CPU is compatible with hackintosh, but need an extra GFX card and not using the CPU's integrated GPU.

What do you suggest, an ATI or NVIDIA? I would like a low budget 1GB DDR3 graphics card, with DVI/VGA/HDMI outputs and that it will work natively with OSX ML.

Thanks for this instructional post, and please tell me if I should follow your procedure or not, according to the components mentioned above.

• Like 1

Compuforce

From what I can see everything will work but your video. Most nVidia will work out of the box. Just get the GT 640, plug it in and go.

STLVNUB

You can use Chameleon with UEFI. There is no set up or anything. Also Mac OS seems to run better with UEFI.

Compuforce

If you need to know the BIOS settings for the Z77-DS3H email me and I will email screen shot back of the BIOS setting. Plan on reworking this post to include the setting. If you need help email or PM me.

• Like 2

Compuforce

If you need to know the BIOS settings for the Z77-DS3H email me and I will email screen shot back of the BIOS setting. Plan on reworking this post to include the setting. If you need help email or PM me.

Since I posted I have altered my components, where now I have changed the cpu from a Sandy Bridge i5 2320 to an i5 3450 [3.1Ghz] and instead of the OCZ Agility 3 120Gb SSD, I have an OZZ Vertex 3 SSD, 120Gb

I am going for the GT640 as you suggested as well,

I forgot to mention that my mobo is Rev 1.0. and can you please send me your BIOS settings just in case?

• Like 1

Compuforce I have updated my post and added a new download link With all of the files and screen shots of my BIOS.

Also started working on 4 more Hackintoshes: Dell Precision M6300, Dell Optiplex 745, Dell Optiplex 780 & an Intel BOXD945GCLF Atom Mini-ITX motherboard. Will be trying to get 10.8.2 on all.

• Like 1

thanks for the updated guide. Now I can start the long journey for installing OSX.

I have now the following queries;

1. should I leave the 8Gb RAM installed or remove 1 stick to make it 4Gb?

2. I have the OCZ drive connected on to the first white SATA port (6Gb) where I intend to install ML, and another SATA (3Gb).

Should I change something here e.g removing the 3Gb SATA drive?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

can someone post or send me screenshots about bios Power Management configuration?

And where i can found AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement patched?

My hack is working without sleep function... :(

Thanks in advance.

Rico

• Like 1

Hi guys,

I'm struggling with this, as when I get to the point where I open disk utility and pick a hdd to format, the only drive I see is the USB drive I'm installing from, and not the SATA3 SSD and SATA2 HDD's in the system.

I'm completely unable to boot the usb drive using UEFI, as I get the following error:

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

I'm guessing I'm not seeing any HDD's/SSD's because of the inability to boot using UEFI?

Here's my specs:

Gigabyte Z77-D3H (not sure which revision, it's brand new, arrived 2 days ago) running F18 bios

Intel 3570K 3.4Ghz CPU

8GB Ram

OCZ Agility 3 SSD 120GB

Samsung 250GB HDD - Irrelevant to the install, only in to see if it was detected.

I've also tried the latest chameleon package, with the same results.

I had to delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to get past a kernel panic/exception on boot too.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks

-g9

Thanks,

I actually managed to get this working just with Chameleon, by changing some combination of settings in the bios.

Which settings though, I'm not sure. I spent about an hour of enable/disabling things and eventually it worked.

Hi,

As my minimac is running out of steam I just completed my first installation:

I tried numerous installers, went to several forums...

Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm sharing the status here:

Hardware:

GA Z77-DS3H w/Intel I5-3570-no-K, Intel HD Graphics 2500, 16gb RAM, 128GB Kingston SSD

I tried most of the available (e.g. Chameleon, Clover) installers

Interestingly it always worked somehow booting in safe mode (-x).

There are a number of things to look for.

- Install the kexts which are Ivybridge aware: e.g. IntelCPUMonitor rel. 612

- disable VT-D in your BIOS, so far I don't know why but without disabling virtualization it's only possible to boot in 'safe mode'

So now I'm looking at a system which seems to be working ok but still has 'minor' issues:

- Screensaver does not work, instead of showing the usual 'show' I only get a white screen.

- Intel graphic seems to flicker sometimes eg. moving windows, flash in browsers....

BTW, this post was written on this system, it's working ok ...

cheers,

Chris

PS: This is my first post to this forum, please let me know if I missed something.

• Like 1

STLVNUB is correct. After checking my boot Chameloen is not using UEFI. I will be switching over to Clover. Thanks for showing where to look.

coolchris get a nVidia card & you will be suprised at this motherboard will do. I have had problems with Intel graphics except for the GMA 950 that is on my Atom motherboard (have Lion installed, wish I could get ML installed). My hack has been up and running since Sept. and it is rock solid.

• Like 1

i'd like to share mine

only 1 week to have a very 100% ootb mac

I followed your guide.. but I've merged it with other.. outside that great forum

I want to declare that Chameleon is possible, but is very stricted!

I've tested from 2012 rev to latest trunk.. so only 2012/2050/2060/2064 was able to run without reboot or KP or acpiplatform missing

else.. Clover .. I tested it with a lot of rev but never run

I prefer chameleon,, is quick and I'm ssd.. so clover is still slow at all.

I wand to attach my bios settings.. I confirm vt-d disabled

basicly.. I spent the most in the tuning of smbios/obcp..

I'm sure that system ID is a must have. also the 12,1 smbios and consequent the aigpm modded to host the proper VGA

(mine is gtx650 from gigabyte)

I did a few more changes but not important.

I confirm.. native USB3, Sleep are working

bios.zip

? ? boh never seen before.

I suggest.. to start from scratch.. again.

take an external usb pen.

use the mountain lionize command USB ML setup deployer

put the minimum kexts..

put the 2064 enoch bootloader

and stop.. reboot to setup

cbushjr56, the guide worked great, thank you! It's my first working hackintosh and it seems really stable so far.

I only had problems at first by plugging the usb drive to a USB 3 port and after hours of troubleshooting I found out it only works with USB 2 ports. After that, no troubles anymore.

There are only two things which don't work:

- Sleep mode worked only once but not anymore.

- USB 3 ports still don't work. It's not a big problem because there are enough USB 2 ports but it would be nice if there would be a resolution.

- I tried some games to test the performance but while it was not bad certainly not as good as it would be on Windows. Might be because of the difference in the Mac-Win ports or maybe something else, kext or driver related?

The hardware:

Gigabyte Z77-DS3H (Firmware F9)

Gigabyte GT 640 2GB

Intel i5 3570K

4x4GB Kingston 1600MHz

SSD for the system + HDD for the data

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

• Like 2

Read through the post and it seems like people are having pretty good success with this install/guide. I bought the motherboard and the i5-3570k processor with 8GB ram. For the life of me I can't resolve the kernel panic... Got everything installed and am able to boot with -x safe mode. Normal boot kernel panics every time. I have tried both usekernelcache yes and no and made no difference. What is the easiest way to find/post where the kernel panic occurs? Should I boot normal and let it panic, then boot into safe mode and look for something in console? This is my 3rd build, but the last 3 were with the same old motherboard :-) Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What is the easiest way to find/post where the kernel panic occurs? Should I boot normal and let it panic, then boot into safe mode and look for something in console?

Did you boot with -v? The verbose output should tell you at what point the panic occured ..

my configurations is simalier .... my processor is 3570k which should support HD4000. My mobo is rev 1.1 but a ga-z77-ds3h. it my understanding that needs an updateded Anthros ktext ... it the one listed here didnt work with my snow leapord install, but i havent tried with my mountain lion install yet ... to be honest i am learning and trying lots of stuff now so bear with me.

I use a real Mac to set up the hard drive, so it was much simpler.

CPU: i7 3770

MB: Gigabyte Z77-DS3H

Graphic: AMD RD 6870 2GB/nVidia GTx 680

I/O: Generic Firewire card w/ NEC chipset, Sil 3132 ESATA card, TP-Link 4800 WiFI card

1. Setup the MB, most of the stuff can be left default except the follow.

Set SATA mode to AHCI

Set everything to Legacy OpRom priority (I didn't bother to set up UEFI boot)

Set XHCI mode to Auto

Set XHCI and EHCI hands off to Auto

Set VT Enabled (I run Parallels a lot)

Set VT-d Disabled (Hopefully we can have it on soon)

2. Install Mountain Lion onto the target hard drive in a real Mac

3. Run Chameleon to install the bootloader into the target drive, I used 2.1svn-r2030

4. In /Extra which Chameleon just created, you should see org.chameleon.Boot.plist, edit it to you liking, mine looks like the following:

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string>darkwake=0 -v</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>PCIRootUID</key>

<string>0</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

</dict>

The only thing to watch out for is that if you use RD6870, GraphicsEnabler should set to Yes; and set to No for GTx680.

5. From ###### package, install the following to your /Extra/Extensions/

smbit.plist for MacPro3,1

ElliottForceLegacyRTC.kext

FakeSMC.kext

You may also install ACPISensors.kext and IntelCPUMonitor.kext to /Extra/Extensions/ if you wish to monitor your CPU.

6. Repair permissions on your target drive.

7. Take out the drive, and yak it into your hackintosh.

and DONE!

You may notice Chameleon run through every kexts TWICE in BIOS speed, which take a long time (in today's boot up standard). You can overcome that by using kernel flag UseKernelCache=Yes provided you move all the kexts in /Extra/Extensions to /System/Library/Extensions/ You don't need to build the kernel cache as long as you're running in 10.8.2, the OS will rebuild it for you, just make sure the permissions are correct before you move them.

chown -R 0:0 /Extra/Extensions/*

chmod -R 755 /Extra/Extensions/*

cp -Rpf /Extra/Extensions/* /System/Library/Extensions/ (I like keeping a copy of everything in /E/E, if you don't want them, use "mv" instead of "cp -Rpf")

That's all for me, I hope this could help you if you have similar hardware configurations, and also a real Mac.

Cheers

Kenneth

• 2 months later...

Hey guys--

I built a hackintosh with rev 1.1 of this motherboard, and I followed this guide to the letter.

I'm having a few issues....

1) USB3.0 is very finicky. The card reader that I'm using occasionally stops working, and I have to hot-plug the connection to the motherboard a few times to get it to come back online.

2) This is the more pressing issue: Now and then, audio playback will sound distorted and garbled. This happens regardless of the kind of media that is playing. When it happens, it usually clears up within a minute or two. I'm using the included VoodooHDA.

3) I'm unable to update to 10.8.2. Every attempt results in hanging about midway through the boot.

gigabyte z77-ds3h rev 1.1

Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GT 640 2GB

Intel i7-3570k

SATA3 256gb Samsung SSD

SATA3 3TB HDD

16GB ram

• 2 weeks later...

hello

what that photo say is don't find fakesmc.kext mandatory to install mac os x in a pc....

good hack

Thanks for the reply

Fakesmc.kext was present in S\L\E folder. Is there anywhere it should be instead? Like on the root, or in the extra folder of the installer usb...

EDIT: I just copied it onto root, Extra, and S/L/E and managed to get ML installed! Busy tweaking the last few kexts, but after all that pain it finally works! Thank you!!!!!

Can't believe I was getting stumped so soon - its not my first hack.