• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

b0dyr0ck2008

b0dyr0ck2008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Thanks for the files, well I did as you said and rebooted and ended up in a reboot cycle. So I recorded it so I could see what the last thing was before it rebooted and is as follows:

_Inject_Get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata
loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/SMBios.plist] 796 bytes from 435bc10
Patched DMI Table
DSDT replacement found. Leaving ACPI data as is
Starting darwin x86_64

Then it reboots

This still

b0dyr0ck2008

b0dyr0ck2008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Thanks for the files, well I did as you said and rebooted and ended up in a reboot cycle. So I recorded it so I could see what the last thing was before it rebooted and is as follows:

_Inject_Get_devprop_string NULL trying stringdata
loaded HFS+ file: [Extra/SMBios.plist] 796 bytes from 435bc10
Patched DMI Table
DSDT replacement found. Leaving ACPI data as is
Starting darwin x86_64

Then it reboots

Still getting this. Haven't tried Clover yet - shouldn't need to. Any other suggestions?

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
Manually install chameleon. I have directions here [How-to] Software RAID-0 in Mountain Lion on ICHx/JMicron... it's for RAID, but the manual installing Chameleon part would be the same.

b0dyr0ck2008

b0dyr0ck2008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I think I may be following your guide wrong. This is my disk and Partition layout:

colins-imac:~ Colin$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
#:					 TYPE NAME				 SIZE	 IDENTIFIER
0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme					 *500.1 GB disk0
1:			 Windows_NTFS Windows 7			 104.9 GB disk0s1
2:			 Windows_NTFS Films				 209.7 GB disk0s2
3:			 Windows_NTFS Music				 80.7 GB disk0s3
4:			 Windows_NTFS OSX					 104.9 GB disk0s5
/dev/disk1
0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme					 *500.1 GB disk1
1:			 Windows_NTFS Games				 157.3 GB disk1s1
2:			 Windows_NTFS Photos				 157.3 GB disk1s2
3:			 Windows_NTFS Downloads			 80.7 GB disk1s3
4:				 Apple_HFS MAC					 104.9 GB disk1s5
/dev/disk2
0:	 FDisk_partition_scheme					 *63.9 GB disk2
1:				 Apple_HFS OS X Install USB	 5.0 GB	 disk2s1

DISK1S5 is where Mountain Lion is installed

So copying your instructions I get the following:

colins-imac:~ Colin$ cd desktop
colins-imac:desktop Colin$ sudo -s
Password:
bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/disk1
bash-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk1s5
dd: /dev/disk1s5: Resource busy
bash-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk1s5
dd: /dev/disk1s5: Resource busy
bash-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/disk1s4
dd: /dev/disk1s4: Operation not supported
bash-3.2# diskuto; mount disk1s5
bash: diskuto: command not found
mount: disk1s5: unknown special file or file system.
bash-3.2# diskutil mount disk1s5
Volume MAC on disk1s5 mounted
bash-3.2# cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/
cp: directory /Volumes/Boot OS X does not exist
bash-3.2# cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/
cp: directory /Volumes/Boot OSX does not exist
bash-3.2#

I gave up on this years ago when I was running AMD and now recently upgraded to Intel and thought it would all be a lot easier........ :wallbash:

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
OK, first, as I said it was for RAID and the guide explained that, everything was being done twice for that reason only, so don't do everything twice. Your partition scheme is going to cause you many headaches. You've already reached the MBR limit for physical partitions. I don't understand why a separate partition would be made for Downloads or Games. If your Games partition get's full, what would you do, start putting Games in Downloads? This is what folders are made for, they can each grow and shrink depending on how much stuff is in them, but now you are only wasting space that you cannot use where and when you may really need it. There is no less chance of loosing data that way either, if disk fails, all partitions fail along with it. Different Chameleon configuration would be needed to make that work, using boot0hfs, but I wouldn't even do it. If you make 1 disk MBR/NTFS with windows and windows files, and second disk GUID/HFS+ with OSX (you could still even put another NTFS partition on 2nd half of the disk for Windows data storage) you will have no problems getting a nice happy dual boot system, and much less chance of all kinds of problems and storage issues down the road. Fix it while you can!

As for the terminal command. You forgot the "r" in rdisk for each entry, also you don't have 5 partitions, only 4. So if you were not going to fix your messy drives, after CD to desktop and enabling root as you did before, this would be the commands:
fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s4
cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/
no need to mount anything, because normal drives they are not hidden partition to be dealing with. Just 3 lines.

b0dyr0ck2008

b0dyr0ck2008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thank you so much for your reply. Finally a reply that makes sense. Now a little explanation for my partitioning.

I have two drives (obviously), both normally with three partitions each.

Disk A
Windows 7, I have learnt, always has its own partition for if and when things go wrong and it needs reinstalling. I save nothing to that drive except windows and any programs I install. Everything goes elsewhere.

Films has its own partition for the constant adding and deleting of films and footage which I find easier to defrag as a smaller partition.

Music is self explanatory.

OSX is where I had originally installed Mountain lion but I was getting a real headache making it boot at all, so that 100GB was from the films partition.

Disk B
Games and Photos is self explanatory again.

Downloads is a partition kept away from my auto virus scan.....

Mac used to be Downloads too.

In an ideal world I would buy another SATA disk and add that to use as my Mac drive but funds don't allow that. I could move 'Downloads' to Disk A, add that to 'MAC' and then have two NTFS partitions and one HFS+ partition. Would that help or not really?
I can't move anything else as that is all the space I have and is currently all pretty much full, I need a couple of bigger drives I know.

Also why have the two HFS+ partitions been marked as 'diskXs5' when there is only four partitions on each drive? So even with that identifier I would still use 'dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s4'?

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out here.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
The one benefit to repartitioning the 2nd drive as you described, would be using GUID, have OSX in first partition and the rest can be windows data and no limit to how many partitions you can have with GUID.

Nothing has been marked as diskxs5. You only have partitions 0-4, and 0 is the partition table only. So the last partition you have, which is your OSX one, is s4. So the way I wrote it is correct, except you'll want to use boot0hfs in the first command instead of boot0 if there is a Windows bootloader present anywhere on that same disk

b0dyr0ck2008

b0dyr0ck2008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
excellent mate, cheers. So the 'Identifier' on the right hand column I should ignore and just read the left column.

So pretty much I have to format Drive B and start fresh then?

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
wait, your right, my bad...not sure why they skip a partition like that. It would be rdisk1s5
If you want to be sure first, just do:
diskutil unmount /dev/rdisk1s5
or since that will probably be the drive your booted from, do rdisk0s5 and verify your other OSX partition dissappears from the desktop. then type same command but use mount instead of unmount
diskutil mount /dev/rdisk0s5
sorry about the confusion

Personally, I'd redo the second disk, because the longer you wait, the more stuff is there, and the harder it will be. Not sure how full your other drive is, if you have room to move your windows stuff over there temporarily, maybe if you remove the OSX partition to make some extra room. Unfortuantely, on mixed HFS/NTFS drives, you can't resize existing partitions in OSX or Win, but I think you can in Gparted, just be mindful, there's always a risk of data loss when doing such things. Also if HFS partiton is deleted leaving only NTFS partitions on drive, you should have no problem resizing in Win

b0dyr0ck2008

b0dyr0ck2008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
colins-imac:desktop Colin$ sudo -s
bash-3.2# fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1
bash-3.2# dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s5
2+0 records in
2+0 records out
1024 bytes transferred in 0.001360 secs (752975 bytes/sec)
bash-3.2# cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OS\ X/
cp: directory /Volumes/Boot OS X does not exist
bash-3.2# cp boot /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/
cp: directory /Volumes/Boot OSX does not exist
bash-3.2#

The final part of the code doesn't work, no /boot OS X. I guess that is due to both drives being MBR?

I'm currently looking at solutions to moving or deleting stuff or even scratching some cash together to buy another drive. Spent all this on major upgrades and now need to spend more. lol.

I really appreciate the help.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
Oh snap, that was RAID only. it would be
cp boot /
even easier.

b0dyr0ck2008

b0dyr0ck2008

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
After moving and deleting everything from Drive B and reinstalling ML now boots fine without the USB booter. Thank you so much for your help and advice. Now to try and get the audio working.......... :thumbsup_anim:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy