Wiki HCL pages formal models !

fantomas

13 posts in this topic

Hi guys

after iPoco let you freely editing Wiki with adding your tested materiel and creating yours tables models, it's more than obvious that it was becoming a little untidy!

so this is why I asked permission to iPoco to create a formal model that you should follow without fail! (10.7.5 or later)

This is of course to have a clear, understandable, readable and convivial Wiki !

Thank you for your understanding !

Cordially

• Like 1

The wiki has been infested with the sort of noobs who install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]/iatkos and claim that UEFI mobos don't need DSDT, to the point that it becomes painful to read.

• Like 4

yes XLR, we know that !

it's why it gonna be much better moderate ! The formal models are there to facilitate this !

We started with 10.7.5 and 10.8.2 but it's clear that later, this will cover all the Wiki!

And indeed, I highly recommend to all those who wish to edit Wiki to not provide support for tonymac tools into their descriptions and much less put a direct link to its website. If this well doesn't respected, in default whereof, your editing will be deleted!

For all those who don't yet know our position about tonymac, thank you for reading this and this.

For others, thank you for reporting abuse and non-compliance with these rules by posting here in this thread!

Thank you in advance

I see now, my contrib was indeed edited, in my opinion it was unnecesary because I think the hole reason of wiki is to lead everyone to a good config for a working machine, despite the source of the software (if is free). I not want to imply you should be agree with me, and you should let link to (t word), I am aware of the competition on web after audience, publicity, notoriority and so on, but like I say befoure I think final result is much important than ways to get there (in this case).

I think the hole reason of wiki is to lead everyone to a good config for a working machine

i agree !

despite the source of the software (if is free).

i don't agree ! Wiki is a part of InsanelyMac, so the same rules !! There's soooo many "how-to" on InsanelyMac, you can use them to complete your description !

I not want to imply you should be agree with me, and you should let link to (t word),

you have your opinion and we respected it, but we have our opinion too and you should respect it too ! :)

I am aware of the competition on web after audience, publicity, notoriority and so on, but like I say befoure I think final result is much important than ways to get there (in this case).

that's where you're wrong, there's no competition with this pseudo website! We want to offer to our members a real Wiki, to understanding and feeling of the work there was behind this description, not a simple "drag and drop" solution.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A number of years ago I tested/posted about a number of Dell Optiplex machines, however the last couple of years have been very busy and my account was purged. (New account, old user)

Recently, I've been interested in setting up a hackintosh or two, which led me back here.

I just spent the last 30 minutes or so informally working on a database to sort through what's scattered throughout the wiki. I find it much easier to get a handle on what's available/best if it's layed out nicely. (I normally use a spreadsheet, but I wanted to test some database tools I downloaded).

When building a database or data structure, the first thing you do is choose a list of categories of information. This is obviously more rigid that what you're talking about here, simply because databases are far more structured than wikis. As I was adding fields to the database, certain patterns stood out and the benefits of using a database began to become more and more obvious. I wanted to share some of what I'd noticed and see if anyone else was working on better organizing the information, which led me to this thread.

The above is why I'm here.

Then I read this:

<SNIP>

We started with 10.7.5 and 10.8.2 but it's clear that later, this will cover all the Wiki!

And indeed, I highly recommend to all those who wish to edit Wiki to not provide support for tonymac tools into their descriptions and much less put a direct link to its website. If this well doesn't respected, in default whereof, your editing will be deleted!

For all those who don't yet know our position about tonymac, thank you for reading this and this.

<SNIP>

All too often, I see great websites/companies/moments lose track of their primary objective and go to {censored}. I'm asking the following questions because I'm no longer sure what the answers are...

1. What is the primary objective of this site?

1. Is the primary objective to be a repository of what works and how it was made to work (a guide)?

2. Is the primary objective to provide a place for the hackintosh community to collaborate on stuff (a community)?
      1. If so, how open/diverse a community? Are newbies welcome?

[*]Is the primary objective something else entirely?

As I stated above, I strongly believe in sharing information. If I am able, I am generally more than willing to help.

If you're trying to provide the best resource, and you start purging information because it mentions a freeware utility whose developer you have problems with, you've made the site LESS useful. Seriously, one of the biggest issues is a lack of organized hackintosh compatibility information...

And yes, my opinion is that trying to profit hackintosh stuff is scummy and further that tonymac is a douche-bag. Which is why I'm on this forum and not that forum. However, I'm not such a complete zealot that I'm going to make my life harder due to him. My spare time is limited and valuable. I'm not going to waste it piecing stuff together manually, when I can download a packaged utility, whether it was written by a douchebag or not.

Personally, I have major problems with Sony. However, that doesn't mean that I refuse to help people with Sony hardware. It doesn't mean think it's ok to remove any reference to Sony from everything I deal with. I'm angry with Sony, not people with Sony stuff or Sony products. In fact, while I refuse to do business with Sony, my TV is a Sony I bought at a yard sale.

Banning discussions of commercial software or links to profit-oriented websites is a principled stand. When you single people out, it's a personal vendetta. If you're planning on dumping every post that mentions M****Beast, you're going to remove a ton of what makes this site worth coming to. Of course, since the world is full of douchebags, I'd wonder what you'd decide to purge next... Microsoft products? Adobe products?

The bottom line is, if there's a witch hunt about to begin, you can do that without my help.

Addendum:

I suppose it really boils down to a single question...

What is more important to you, being pure (purging everything tonymac) or doing the best to help others (build a hackintosh/install OSX on non-Apple hardware)?

I'm definitely more interested in helping people.

Hi

Magnus Dredd

I don't know what part of my comment that you've quoted you have read, but if you question on our position about tonymac, i think the things have been told and very clearly. It's why i said this :

And like i said it to santa1, you have your opinion and we respected it, but we have our opinion too and you should respect it too ! :) That position wasn't easy to take, but finaly, it was necessary. Therefore, we will not go back each time to the same thing, read if you like, the links I've put.

Then, we didn't talk about the guide or sharing information but about the support of commecial spin-off tools of the OSx86 scene. This is a little different.

InsanelyMac was all this time for sharing information and helping the newbies but what we don't accept it's the stealing of those sharing informations to make as a private and commercial tool.

What is the primary objective of this site?

Is the primary objective to be a repository of what works and how it was made to work (a guide)?

Is the primary objective to provide a place for the hackintosh community to collaborate on stuff (a community)?

If so, how open/diverse a community? Are newbies welcome?

Is the primary objective something else entirely

I think you need posting this question on all of those commercial spin-off siteweb of OSx86 scene. Like i said it in my previous comment (i don't think you have read it) :

We want to offer to our members a real Wiki, to understanding and feeling of the work there was behind this description, not a simple "drag and drop" solution.

I think this can answer to your questions ! :)

Thank you for all what you've/you'll done to helping people! ;)

Cordially

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

a formal model for all HCL Portables/Desktops is done

you can read more here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283218-wiki-editing-how-to/?do=findComment&comment=1862246

once all the wiki is a bit in order, in the future you will have already the prepared arrays for each manufacturer, they will not remain more than to fill in the empty squares and to give a name to the model.

This is to make your work easier ;)

Cordialy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this is a little bit out of context, if so please move this post. :)

It would be nice if there was a central place on the Wiki, where users can find all up-to-date information to install OS X on a laptop/desktop PC.

At the moment there are a lot of post about help with iAtkos, iDeneb, etc. that don't provide the user any vanilla OS X installation.

If users could have a starting point where to begin (what OS X version to use for your system > 32/64-bit, make an bootable usb/dvd, bootloaders, etc.), than stuff would be a lot easier for new users.

I'm against a tool like Multi*, because it don't gives any link to the (official) source.

I think that at the moment their is no (good) documentation on how the OS X hacks work, and how you can improve your setup.

I'm not saying we should give users all the information that their is, but a (simple) starting point would be nice.

HCL's is a good way where users can find information, but it would be nice if most of the (patch) information would have a link to the source.

Hi beta992

no, your post isn't out of context! ;)

It would be nice if there was a central place on the Wiki, where users can find all up-to-date information to install OS X on a laptop/desktop PC.

At the moment there are a lot of post about help with iAtkos, iDeneb, etc. that don't provide the user any vanilla OS X installation.

iPoco said a little bit about this issue on InsanelyMac blog:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/blog/666/entry-865-wiki-team/

Now, 90% of members don't use Wiki, just see the multitude of opened topics asking for help about the config while everything's on wiki! :whistle:

If a newbie would to know how to have a vanilla install, there's many tuto very well done. ;)

But yes, i agree with what you said, wiki needs to be updated quickly! ;)

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...