Strange bluetooth problem

nhart12

13 posts in this topic

Hi i am running ML on a zenbook prime but i swapped the intel wifi/bluetooth card for an atheros wifi/bluetooth card. It is triple booted with Ubuntu and WIn7. The problem im running into with the bluetooth (atheros ar3011) is that it works in both ubuntu and windows 7 perfectly, but with ML it only works when I was booted in either ubuntu or windows 7 prior to booting ML.

If it is working in ML and I reboot, it wont work again until i boot either windows or ubuntu. This is becoming pretty annoying since i always use bluetooth, so any help would be appreciated

Has nothing to do with dsdt, but with firmware uploading rather. When there's no fw uploaded to ar3011 it has id 0x3000, but when there is - 0x3001. Ubuntu and win both upload fw, so when you reboot the module still has it, while on cold boot it doesn't. And as atheros is in no way native for Mac and works w a generic driver it has to somehow get the fw. There's a kext for that... look for IOath3kfrmwr.kext .. make sure you edit the ids in info.plist to match your module's info.<br />

Well in that case check the methods PRW and PSN, in most casses that ones rest the system for sleep.

for which device do i check the PRW or PSN method?

Has nothing to do with dsdt, but with firmware uploading rather. When there's no fw uploaded to ar3011 it has id 0x3000, but when there is - 0x3001. Ubuntu and win both upload fw, so when you reboot the module still has it, while on cold boot it doesn't. And as atheros is in no way native for Mac and works w a generic driver it has to somehow get the fw. There's a kext for that... look for IOath3kfrmwr.kext .. make sure you edit the ids in info.plist to match your module's info.<br />

I already installed a patched version of IOath3kfrmwr.kext and IOBluetoothFamily.kext i found somewhere for ar3011

Well that makes sense, now assuming that the bluetooth problem is only a IRQ problem, the normal solution would be checking when the machine goes to sleep which USB port or device causes the problem. Thats what i mean with checking methos PRW and PSN, of the device thats causing the error, because un most cases, deleting them fixes the error.

bluetooth is a usb-attached device, it reroutes itself from mpci-e to usb bus. if there are no usb problems there also shouldnt be any problems with bluetooth. i have dell dw 1702 module which houses ar3011 along with ar9825 .. with mentioned kext bluetooth works absolutely fine, but it has a major flaw - the band that generic driver is able to communicate through is really narrow, multitouch devices dont work and regular bluetooth mice sometimes 'stick' after some time of inactivity. in other words - it would have been easier to swap intel out with a true broadcom 300mbit module rather then this 65/partially working nonsense...

bluetooth is a usb-attached device, it reroutes itself from mpci-e to usb bus. if there are no usb problems there also shouldnt be any problems with bluetooth. i have dell dw 1702 module whhich houses ar3011 along with ar9825 .. with mentioned kext bluetooth works absolutely fine, but it has a major flaw - the band that generic driver is able to communicate through is really narrow, multitouch devices dont work and regular bluetooth mice sometimes 'stick' after some time of inactivity. in other words - it would have been easier to swap intel out with a true broadcom 300mbit module rather then this 65/partially working nonsense...

which card would you recommend?

I'd say go with BCM94322MC - gives you native 300Mbit N support out of the box. Supports both 2.4 and 5GHz ranges. Buts its full-sized card. If you need half-size then BCM94322HM8L would be your best option.

o sweet.. I need a half sized. just a quick look on ebay shows that that half sized card doesnt have bluetooth..

Oh, you still want a Bluetooth combo. Well, sadly there isn't any of the cards that will work properly .. in fact the one you already have (I assume its something similar to a DW1702) is probably the one you can get most out of... the rest are just rubbish. Its either 2 separate modules if you have slots or you keep struggling with whatever have you...

Oh, you still want a Bluetooth combo. Well, sadly there isn't any of the cards that will work properly .. in fact the one you already have (I assume its something similar to a DW1702) is probably the one you can get most out of... the rest are just rubbish. Its either 2 separate modules if you have slots or you keep struggling with whatever have you...

dang that sucks.. yeah its an ultrabook so limited space means only one slot..

so basically i won't put it to sleep lol because when it comes back i lose audio and bluetooth.. thanks for your help!