ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Hi all. I get Mountain Lion working on Asus Zenbook UX32A with Clover (Chameleon provide just -x boot).

Video works normally, but screen brightness is less that must be.

In attached file ioreg, DSDT from Linux and generated by Clower, DarwinDumper dump.

Can i fix brightness?

Asus_UX32A_dump.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I'm completely new to using OSX especially a Hackintosh, I have an Asus UX32A and have spent the last week or so tinkering with it to install OSX. I would say I have fully completed it today with the exception of the function keys as i'm really not bothered about them. I'm very happy with the outcome, have managed to install all required kexts and update to 10.8.2. I only had to replace the Intel wireless card with a Dell 1510 (took two weeks to arrive from america !) I'm a software engineering student in 3rd year and this now opens the door for me to develop for iOS.

I really just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone on this thread. There's no way I would have managed this without you guys doing all the leg work.

Thanks Guys !

Kev

• Like 1

Hey Guys,

I'm completely new to using OSX especially a Hackintosh, I have an Asus UX32A and have spent the last week or so tinkering with it to install OSX. I would say I have fully completed it today with the exception of the function keys as i'm really not bothered about them. I'm very happy with the outcome, have managed to install all required kexts and update to 10.8.2. I only had to replace the Intel wireless card with a Dell 1510 (took two weeks to arrive from america !) I'm a software engineering student in 3rd year and this now opens the door for me to develop for iOS.

I really just wanted to say a huge thank you to everyone on this thread. There's no way I would have managed this without you guys doing all the leg work.

Thanks Guys !

Kev

Hey Kev,

Did you also manage to get the external display working correctly (through HDMI)? I'm also a software engineering student currently in my last year and right now I'm running OSX under VMWare, but it's not ideal, I would love to get OSX fully functioning native, because I need it to work on my master thesis for various frameworks which don't work under Windows correctly and I'm not a huge fan of Ubuntu ;).

+ if anyone could pinpoint me how I would install OSX on the cache SSD while already having a working Windows 8 install on the regular drive, which bootloader should I choose?

I've got a UX32VD, but I think it doesn't matter much though. And is the Dell card the best alternative for the wireless card or are there other options aswell?

Hey Guys,

Thanks Guys !

Kev

Hi Kev, can you share your configs, kexts, Extra and etc ?

I have some problems on UX32A.

It seems a bunch of folks have managed to get UEFI boot working with Clover. I have UX31A and can't get Clover to work. (GUID partition...only OS X on the drive..no other OS). Can someone share some tips or steps to get it to boot UEFI via Clover? I would love to get rid of the USB stick I have to carry to boot this thing.

It seems a bunch of folks have managed to get UEFI boot working with Clover. I have UX31A and can't get Clover to work. (GUID partition...only OS X on the drive..no other OS). Can someone share some tips or steps to get it to boot UEFI via Clover? I would love to get rid of the USB stick I have to carry to boot this thing.

1. You have to create an EFI partition on your hard drive--OS X may have already created the partition.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/58892

2. Copy EFI stuff to this partition.

3. On the Clover documentation on the USB, look for the instructions to modify the ASUS NVRAM to add an entry for your hard drive EFI partition--for whatever reason the ASUS "bios" does not recognize the EFI partition on the hard drive.

Thanks. Some clarification questions:

1. You have to create an EFI partition on your hard drive--OS X may have already created the partition.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/58892

I already have one. sudo gpt -r show disk0 does show the right info at index 1.

2. Copy EFI stuff to this partition.

Which "EFI stuff"? And copy from where?

3. On the Clover documentation on the USB, look for the instructions to modify the ASUS NVRAM to add an entry for your hard drive EFI partition--for whatever reason the ASUS "bios" does not recognize the EFI partition on the hard drive.

Which USB? Where exactly is the clover documentation?

Thanks so much!

I already have one. sudo gpt -r show disk0 does show the right info at index 1.

Okay. Just FYI, mine shows:

start size index contents

0 1 PMBR

1 1 Pri GPT header

2 32 Pri GPT table

34 6

40 409600 1 GPT part - C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B

409640 497389408 2 GPT part - 48465300-0000-11AA-AA11-00306543ECAC

497799048 2319111

500118159 32 Sec GPT table

500118191 1 Sec GPT header

Which "EFI stuff"? And copy from where?

You're successfully booting from the USB key in UEFI, right? It has an EFI folder, correct? Copy the "EFI" folder to the EFI partition. Make sure you copy the folder as a folder, not just the contents. Interestingly enough, I think Clover looks at ANY volume for the existence of an "EFI" folder at the root of the volume, and will list that as a boot option. That is, I've had the EFI folder accidentally in both the EFI partition (named "EFI") and my Mac OS partition (named "OSx"), and it showed both as selectable--I've never tried booting off of the Mac OS partition, but I think you can. Best if you just boot off of the EFI partition and ONLY have a single EFI folder. FYI, in that situation, the listing for my EFI folders would show as:

/EFI/EFI (EFI folder on EFI disk)

/OSx/EFI (EFI folder on OSx disk)

Which USB? Where exactly is the clover documentation?

Is there not a "doc" directory under your EFI folder of your USB key?

Open the document named: UEFI Boot with Clover.rtf or something like that, and look at section 5.2. I'll reproduce it here:

5.2 Add Clover as a boot option
On Aptio, it's not enough to rename Cloverx64.efi on HDD to BootX64.efi to enable it to start (see here). But it seems that's what you need to do on Gigabyte Hybrid EFI. Standard procedure for adding an OS boot option in UEFI is to add boot option variable to NVRAM - that's what is needed on Aptio.
Boot options can be managed with bcfg command in a shell. But, this command is available only in UEFI shell (shell2) and since shell2 requires UEFI 2.3 or newer, users with older UEFI have a problem. If you are the "lucky" one with older UEFI where shell2 does not work, try with my modified shell2 from here. This is not fully working port, but bcfg works and I'm using it only for boot options manipulation with bcfg.
Users of UEFI 2.3 or newer can put shell2 to FAT32 USB stick as /efi/boot/bootx64.efi and just use this one. Since I need old shell for normal use and moded shell2 for bcfg, I have old shell set as /efi/boot/bootx64.efi and moded shell2 as /shellx64.efi (in the root of USB) - in this way I can press F8 during POST and choose "UEFI: stick name" to load older shell or press Del to enter UEFI Setup screens and then select Exit/Start shell to load moded shell2. Actually, I have both shells copied to HDD EFI partition and added as separate boot options, but that can be done later.
Boot into shell2 (real one or moded) and find Cloverx64.efi on HDD EFI partition with some combination of the following commands:
> map fs*
> fs0: (or fs1: or fs2: ...)
> ls
> cd \efi\boot
> ls
And then:
> help bcfg -b -v
and try to understand help from the screen
> bcfg boot dump
to list current boot options
> bcfg boot add N cloverx64.efi "OSX through Clover"
to add cloverx64.efi from the current dir as a boot option labeled "OSX through Clover". N should be boot option number: 0 if you wan it to be the first, 1 to be the second ...
> bcfg boot dump
to check if it is added
> reset
to reset the system and to try to load Clover from HDD
When it is added, reset the system and press F8 during POST (or whatever key is needed to get selection of boot options) and "OSX through Clover" should be there. Select it and try if it works.

Because I'm so awesome, I've uploaded my EFI folder, where you should be able to just copy over to the EFI partition of your hard drive and it has the right version of shell.efi for creating the boot option, etc. You need to make sure you don't just use my DSDT, etc., as I don't know if that will work for you. Thus, instead of just using my EFI folder, you can also just take the shell.efi and documentation files as I pointed to above, and use the files from your USB key. In that case, you can just use my folder as an example.

EFI.zip

• Like 1

Is M.FL even a thing? This wireless thing sucks. Has anyone been able to get their wireless working with a new wireless card?

The situation sucks, yes, but lots of people have gotten a new card (and/or USB wireless).

Edit: I bought something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390495356352&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of messing with the antennas, I would go with an external USB adapter--search for those. In hind-sight, it may have been easier and cleaner than messing with the internal antennas... I have pair of antennas connected to my wireless card and taped to the external cover--haha, ghetto.

The situation sucks, yes, but lots of people have gotten a new card (and/or USB wireless).

http://cgi.ebay.com/...E:X:RTQ:US:1123

If you don't want to deal with the hassle of messing with the antennas, I would go with an external USB adapter--search for those. In hind-sight, it may have been easier and cleaner than messing with the internal antennas... I have pair of antennas connected to my wireless card and taped to the external cover--haha, ghetto.

cyf i think your still better off, the problem with the usb wifi and usb ethernet is connecting to the app store. For some reason it just wont connect, I read somewhere that Apple uses the MAC address of your ethernet card or wifi card to verify your computer, so whenever I used the ethernet dongle or USB wifi I couldn't connect, but when I swapped wifi cards it worked fine...

You're successfully booting from the USB key in UEFI, right?

Is there not a "doc" directory under your EFI folder of your USB key?

Ah sorry. I see the confusion. NO...I have not successfully done ANYTHING with clover. I am booting from Chameleon USB stick. I haven't managed to install Clover to USB and get it to boot the HDD :( (And the latest Clover installer dmg won't install to anything except to HDD...and I couldn't find any instructions for manual install to USB).

Because I'm so awesome, I've uploaded my EFI folder, where you should be able to just copy over to the EFI partition of your hard drive and it has the right version of shell.efi for creating the boot option, etc. You need to make sure you don't just use my DSDT, etc., as I don't know if that will work for you. Thus, instead of just using my EFI folder, you can also just take the shell.efi and documentation files as I pointed to above, and use the files from your USB key. In that case, you can just use my folder as an example.

Thanks! I think this will be useful but later. Right now I first need to get the system to boot via Clover on the USB...but don't know how to proceed since the installer won't install to USB :(

Anyone got the USB pendrive installation working with iAtkos ML2?

(Tried on an UX32VD, 10GB RAM - BIOS 206)

My steps:

- iAtkos disk image to USB pendrive

- installed Chameleon 2140 to pendrive (installer linked on iatkos page)

- tried booting with -x -v -f and several other combinations

Other things I tried:

-changed boot.plist to

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x3000</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Rescan</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>SMBIOS</key>
<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
<key>SMBIOSdefaults</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>PciRootUID</key>
<string>0</string>
<key>busratio</key>
<string>12</string>

- changed smbios.plist to macbookpro9,2

- changed DSDT.aml to the one of giofrida on 2nd page and also tried the one on first post

Installation hangs at:

PCI configuration changed (bridge=0 device=1 yenta=0)

or a few lines later at

SMC: successfully initialzed

Any suggestions?

Ah sorry. I see the confusion. NO...I have not successfully done ANYTHING with clover. I am booting from Chameleon USB stick. I haven't managed to install Clover to USB and get it to boot the HDD :( (And the latest Clover installer dmg won't install to anything except to HDD...and I couldn't find any instructions for manual install to USB).

Thanks! I think this will be useful but later. Right now I first need to get the system to boot via Clover on the USB...but don't know how to proceed since the installer won't install to USB :(

Okay. You have two choices.

A. Try to get Clover USB key to work first.

1. Follow the Clover instructions to format a USB key to FAT 32 (I don't think you need any special partitions, nor does it need to be GPT, I believe).

2. Copy the EFI folder from my attachment onto the USB key so (again, the whole folder, not just the contents--so if your USB key is named KEY, it will show as "/Volumes/KEY/EFI").

3. Boot from USB key (look for UEFI entry on boot list).

*The good thing about UEFI is that the same EFI folder can work on USB or HD. Thus, once you get Clover to work, you can use the same EFI folder (if you'll note, the instructions actually tell you to just copy EFI folder from your USB to your HD's EFI partition.

B. Go directly to trying to get Clover to work on hard drive.

(see previous reply to your post).

Since you already have an EFI partition on your HD, I would go this route unless you think you'd want to go back to Chameleon--and even then you can still choose your Chameleon USB key instead of your HD's EFI partition when you boot. Remember, if you go this route, you will need to add an entry to your laptop's NVRAM to get it to recognize your HD's EFI partition (instructions were in previous post).

I'm pretty sure you can use my EFI folder without changing DSDT. I would definitely try booting it a couple of times if it crashes. I've noticed that whenever I have a new Clover version or do something different like connect HDMI, change kexts, etc., the first boot will result in a kernel panic and thus I usually try and boot it a couple of times before thinking it's not working. Not sure what you need to move over from your Extras folder on Chameleon to your /S/L/E folder on your HD, but if you have FakeSMC in your /S/L/E folder, you may need to remove any copy that you find in my EFI folder so there is only one copy.

Just updated my DSDT/SSDT to the latest ones posted by nhart12. Now Software Update is telling me that there is an available update for "Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.1" ...I am guessing I shouldn't apply that? Or am I wrong?

Don't apply it.

cyf i think your still better off, the problem with the usb wifi and usb ethernet is connecting to the app store. For some reason it just wont connect, I read somewhere that Apple uses the MAC address of your ethernet card or wifi card to verify your computer, so whenever I used the ethernet dongle or USB wifi I couldn't connect, but when I swapped wifi cards it worked fine...

Not exactly. USB wifi and ethernet are not recognized as built-in eth0 device, whereas an intercard with proper kext is recognized as such and then App Store works. Since the antenna connectors are not compatible, you can swap a new internal card inside (giving the eth0 device) and then use the USB wifi dongle (as your true connection), and it'll most definitely work.

Haha, I fixed the antenna inside and between the battery and bottom cover. Reception is tolerable, but if I have a bigger apartment then I will have to go ghetto too. :)

Btw, the best installation would be inside the LED panel, something like this

http://www.mercenary.ca/articles/r30_antenna.php

Hey friends!

I just got an UX32VD-4002P and installed Snow Leopard, 10.6 on it.

I had 2 other hackintosh laptops before, so I want to join and help. What's the status of things?

Also, anyone of you Zenbookers runs Snow Leopard??

Thanks a lot!

PS: sorry if snow-leopard is off-topic

Hello there,

I have on ux32vd 10Gb RAM, but ML recognize only 3,25 GB RAM.

How can I make use of fully 10GB RAM on ML?

Thx for your help in advance.

I solved this booting with Clover

Tags: UX32VD Low Ram 10.6 / 10.8, UX32VD Low Memory 10.6 / 10.8

Is it possible to use the DSDT from your UX31A-Extra folder for my UX32VD? Or will it be incompatible?

Most likely incompatible. Use the DSDT of "Thomas2111".

PS: I found a solution for the FN-keys but I don't know how to implement it. Looking for DSDT expert!

Most likely incompatible. Use the DSDT of "Thomas2111".

PS: I found a solution for the FN-keys but I don't know how to implement it. Looking for DSDT expert!

Alright, thanks. I finally got ML to boot by using Unibe@st 1.4. However, I can't get the bootloader to be installed properly? I've tried using the patched Chameleon bootloader from Thomas21111 and it doesn't seem to work. The BIOS doesn't detect the boot option.