ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Thanks man, audio worked in /s/l/e, but it's not working in /extra . I wonder if it possible to add mic to have the possibility talk by skype (it exist in system preferences, but not working correctly)

This is native {s-h-i-t} - no KEXT added, no modification - AirDrop and WiFi ok

Just as a data point, I have an internal mic shown, and the meter seems to show me talking (i.e., moving up and down). I don't know how to test it. Is there some audio recorder in Mac OS? I will download Skype and try.

Nice re: wifi card. I'll have to do this soon.

Got wifi working, that is realy difficult

with the Atheros card (u/fl) and an antena from an old PC

see the pictures below

the backplate is connected to the antenna with the screws

i've put back the intel centrino card (w/fl) and the antenna because my W/fl antena don't receive the wifi signal over 10 meter

(WHY :( my multimeter indicates me that all is right)

post-1085791-0-86223300-1353705702_thumb.jpg

post-1085791-0-21722100-1353705716_thumb.jpg

post-1085791-0-92242900-1353705725_thumb.jpg

post-1085791-0-09706300-1353705737_thumb.jpg

post-1085791-0-45428100-1353705749_thumb.jpg

post-1085791-0-33632200-1353705791_thumb.jpg

The guy who made the elan touchpad driver for v3 is now working on V4. so that is great news for us zenbook owners! check this thread for info and eventually the driver http://forum.osxlati...driver-mac-osx/...:

cyf i will try to look at your dsdt sometime this weekend so I will get back to you

AWESOME re: touchpad.

DSDT

Thanks nhart--Re: DSDT, enclosed is an updated version of my DSDT. I did a test earlier trying your DSDT, and it seems that your version of the DSDT will cause KP's on my machine and an immediate reboot--not even a stopped boot screen (I will try it again right now though because I have noticed that sometimes any change will cause a KP on the first boot, and the second reboot will be okay). What I ended up doing is using DiffMerge to compare and transpose over the patches/edits from the DSDT that I believe is for the UX32VD (which is the file I attached earlier and named "DSDT-current" because that's the DSDT I am currently using). I notice there were some memory ranges and stuff that were different from my UX21A DSDT, such as a variable name difference of "IGPU" and "GFX0", and some additional methods that were only in the UX21A DSDT (which I presume is from this being difference between UX21 and UX31A/UX32VD) and I didn't touch those values. It will be pretty clear when you look at it under DiffMerge.

I also re-saved the dsl files to remove the comments and extra carriage returns that the IASL decompiler in Chameleon Wizard adds, and which causes DiffMerge highlight most of the document as changed--which I guess is technically true, but is a pain to look at and no way to tell DiffMerge to ignore. I tried to clean things up as best I could, but didn't want to do too much as I don't know enough about DSDT to mess with it too much.

Thanks.

New UX31A bios:

There's a bios update for UX31A. Before you upgrade to the new bios, you may want to try this:

http://www.insanelym...vy-bridge-bios/

I have verified that the code is in the UX21A bios (so I'm presuming it's in the UX31A and UX32VD bioses as well). However, I can't reflash my bios for some reason and was going to wait for a new version for my bios to be released, mod that, and then flash it.

Post of new UX31A bios:

http://forum.noteboo...d-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:

New bios update for UX31A available in version 2.16.

No change log unfortunately.

NB-TSD Download (http://nbtsd.asustre.../BIOS/UX-Serie/)

Got wifi working, that is realy difficult

with the Atheros card (u/fl) and an antena from an old PC

see the pictures below

the backplate is connected to the antenna with the screws

i've put back the intel centrino card (w/fl) and the antenna because my W/fl antena don't receive the wifi signal over 10 meter

(WHY :( my multimeter indicates me that all is right)

1. Is 2.jpg a picture of the original ASUS antennas (the ones you're calling W/fl?)? They are soldered to brackets?

2. Why are you shorting the replacement antennas (that is, electrically connecting the tips of the replacement antennas to the back cover) in 5.jpg? That completely changes the electrical characteristics of the antennas. Try it without connecting the antennas to anything on the other end.

CYF DSDT 2.zip

1. Is 2.jpg a picture of the original ASUS antennas (the ones you're calling W/fl?)? They are soldered to brackets?

2. Why are you shorting the replacement antennas (that is, electrically connecting the tips of the replacement antennas to the back cover) in 5.jpg? That completely changes the electrical characteristics of the antennas. Try it without connecting the antennas to anything on the other end.

In 2.jpg it is the W/FL coax antenna from the old pc, that fits with the atheros w/fl socket

in the old pc they was soldered to brackets and connected on a big aluminium sheet in the screen ( 17" ) that i replaced by the asus backplate, i think it's connected on another aluminum sheet in the asus'screen by screw contact because all screws are electrical-maped (multimeter have spoken :P ) i'll try tomorow to connect the antenna to nothing else than the card, but i'm not hopefully, we'll see. BBS

[Edit] tryed, but still ~10 meters. I'm thinking about keep the intel or soldering W/FL coax connectors from my old antenna on the asus antenna cable\

[Edit] Done, works fine, i have the wifi airplay, airdrop

In 2.jpg it is the W/FL coax antenna from the old pc, that fits with the atheros w/fl socket

in the old pc they was soldered to brackets and connected on a big aluminium sheet in the screen ( 17" ) that i replaced by the asus backplate, i think it's connected on another aluminum sheet in the asus'screen by screw contact because all screws are electrical-maped (multimeter have spoken :P ) i'll try tomorow to connect the antenna to nothing else than the card, but i'm not hopefully, we'll see. BBS

[Edit] tryed, but still ~10 meters. I'm thinking about keep the intel or soldering W/FL coax connectors from my old antenna on the asus antenna cable\

[Edit] Done, works fine, i have the wifi airplay, airdrop

Works fine = 10 meters still? Soldering those connectors are going to be difficult, no? Very small connections, including shielding!

I did poorly in my radio frequency classes, but one thing I did learn is that antennas HAVE TO BE matched with the characteristics of the system, so simply replacing any one of the components may mean reception won't be as good. Also, shielding is important, so if you remove the outer ring on your new WiFi card so that the ASUS antenna is able to fit (see previous post in this thread--don't remember who did this), at the very least I would try to figure out a way to replicate (i.e., copy) the shielding function, which may mean electrically connecting the outer shielding of the ASUS cable to the part where the ring was.

You have a dual-boot, right? Just to confirm it's not a software setting, can you boot into Windows and see if you get the same readings?

Oh yeah, it says "BT MAC" on your card. Does the BT work?

Works fine = 10 meters still? Soldering those connectors are going to be difficult, no? Very small connections, including shielding!

I did poorly in my radio frequency classes, but one thing I did learn is that antennas HAVE TO BE matched with the characteristics of the system, so simply replacing any one of the components may mean reception won't be as good. Also, shielding is important, so if you remove the outer ring on your new WiFi card so that the ASUS antenna is able to fit (see previous post in this thread--don't remember who did this), at the very least I would try to figure out a way to replicate (i.e., copy) the shielding function, which may mean electrically connecting the outer shielding of the ASUS cable to the part where the ring was.

You have a dual-boot, right? Just to confirm it's not a software setting, can you boot into Windows and see if you get the same readings?

Oh yeah, it says "BT MAC" your card. Does the BT work?

before all : U/fl is the biggest of my connectors, present on the atheros card and my old antenna (about 2mm) W/fl is the smaller one, present on the asus antenna and the intel card (about 1mm

\\

Work over 10 meters, i think it can work over 50m maybe more (i have a good reception)

Works good on windows too

about the antena, the U/FL or W/FL connectors alows 5Ghz (802.11a & 802.11n) and the 2.4Ghz (802.11 b/g/n) the asus antenna is a 802.11n (with Wl/fl cable that i cut and soldered with a U/fl one from an old antenna) thats compatible

and YES thats difficult and realy small !

about the ring socket U/fL on the atheros card, i don't want to try to replace it by a smaller (U/FL), that's too small, it need a SMD solder (that's a bit difficult :P )

the blutooth card actually works on mac + the internal usb one, not on windows yet (just need the driver)

BTW i would like to notice that i soldered my mini cable (W/fl from asus) on the antenna too so i have an antenna with W/fl and U/fl in case of i want to put again the intel card in the zenbook

sorry the fiirst pic is bad but we can see the solder in grey, the mini W/fl mapped and the u/fl too in my hand (for one of the two cables, the black one)

on the second pic, the two U/FL cable plugged on the atheros card, the solder and the W/fl connetors protected by chaterton

post-1085791-0-65349700-1353774001_thumb.jpg

post-1085791-0-90003900-1353774174_thumb.jpg

BTW i would like to notice that i soldered my mini cable (W/fl from asus) on the antenna too so i have an antenna with W/fl and U/fl in case of i want to put again the intel card in the zenbook

sorry the fiirst pic is bad but we can see the solder in grey, the mini W/fl mapped and the u/fl too in my hand (for one of the two cables, the black one)

on the second pic, the two U/FL cable plugged on the atheros card, the solder and the W/fl connetors protected by chaterton

Very nice. How far did you cut? WOuld have been nice to have pictures before you put the tape on. :wallbash:

Edit: I think you mean you soldered the W/Fl cable at the antenna? Guess can't tell how you spliced it in the picture as you already assembled it in second picture, and first is blurry. :| Guess I should at least open mine... :moil:

Edit: I think you mean you soldered the W/Fl cable at the antenna? Guess can't tell how you spliced it in the picture as you already assembled it in second picture, and first is blurry. strong>ression.gif Guess I should at least open mine... :moil:

My english is bad :D here is my electric shema, thanks windows, paint. everyone can understand that

about the cut, all is realy short with the WFL antena, need to cut the minimal as possible

post-1085791-0-08645600-1353795010_thumb.png

My english is bad :D here is my electric shema, thanks windows, paint. everyone can understand that

about the cut, all is realy short with the WFL antena, need to cut the minimal as possible

I was just looking to open up the W.FL antennas as well. Did you just solder the inner conductors together or did you also solder the conducting shields? And how in the world did you manage to make the small cuts to W.FL cable? Good Job man.

Has anyone else tried to open up the screen to put in their own antennas?

Anyone still have issues with SpeedStep? Check this:

http://www.osx86.net...html#post126892

and look for ssdtPRGen.sh.zip and associated discussion to find the script to generate an SSDT to support SpeedStep--I think this is only necessary for Chameleon, because once I switched over to Clover, the bootloader is able create the same result without the extra SSDT. Make sure you generate P- and C-states.

Archive.zip

I was just looking to open up the W.FL antennas as well. Did you just solder the inner conductors together or did you also solder the conducting shields?

There is no conducting shields just plastic. I isolated with the tape

And how in the world did you manage to make the small cuts to W.FL cable? Good Job man.

Thank you.

Hum ... Self control :P

As you can see in 2. JPG an antenna is just a métal plate and i think it would be better and easier to solder a u.fl câble from an old antenna on the asus antenna and also keep the original w/fl cable

Has anyone else tried to open up the screen to put in their own antennas?

On the UX32VD, the antennas are not in the screen, but rather the hinge area of the screen. They connect to the metal frame of the screen via the screws that hold the antenna assembly. I simply removed the Asus assembly and cannibalized an old Dell laptop antenna to put in it's place. Any yes, stripping those wires is delicate work!

• Like 1

Oh yeah, just as importantly, those people with "new" Wifi cards: is the App Store working?

The app store worked for me with both the atheros ar5b195 card i tried as well as a broadcom card. It was such a pain to get bluetooth working on that atheros card that I just eventually bought a BCM card with no bluetooth since I never used it.

I havent had a chance to look at your DSDT yet since it finals time in school right now. But a lot of the guides I followed were written by the same guy and I just found out if you send him your DSDT he will work on it for you.. Look at this thread and see if he can help you:

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1945-dsdtssdt-patching/

Sorry I cant help you further.

Now for all of those people who want to replace your wifi cards but aren't good at soldering and dont have precise hands (like me) I have been in contact with a company to see if I can have a custom adapter made to convert the W.FL pigtail into a U.FL pigtail.

It would be similar to this adapter (http://www.jefatech.com/product/UFLUFLEXT3/Pigtail-UFL-Male-to-UFL-Female---3-inches.html) except it would need to be a W.FL male on the one end.

So if Im able to have this made, how many people would be interested? So I can further inform the company

The app store worked for me with both the atheros ar5b195 card i tried as well as a broadcom card. It was such a pain to get bluetooth working on that atheros card that I just eventually bought a BCM card with no bluetooth since I never used it.

Does anyone know what the second bluetooth is really used for anyway? Mine is working fine with built-in BT and Magic Mouse and LG headset, so (as Thomas2111 pointed out), it's not a big deal.

EDIT: Oh yeah, what kind of speeds are you seeing? I have an RT-N66U at home which uses a Broadcom chip, so it'll be nice to match it.

Now for all of those people who want to replace your wifi cards but aren't good at soldering and dont have precise hands (like me) I have been in contact with a company to see if I can have a custom adapter made to convert the W.FL pigtail into a U.FL pigtail.

It would be similar to this adapter (http://www.jefatech....--3-inches.html) except it would need to be a W.FL male on the one end.

So if Im able to have this made, how many people would be interested? So I can further inform the company

I'd be interested, but would really prefer to receive it before Dec. 22nd. How much time/$$$ are we looking at? I'd like to take the lazy route if possible, haha. I'm in California.

RE: DSDT files. Don't worry about it. Studies come first. I'm e-mailing the dude at the other site. Ironically, the first person on that topic that requested a patch had a UX21. Unfortunately it's an UX21_E_, but I think he can help. I'm also going to be sending him the DSDT files I got off of a MacBookAir5,1 as a reference.

Im not yet sure on price, so far the only company to get back to me wants me to order at least 50 of the.. so I'm going to look for another company and maybe find out how many people want them..

A speed test on the BCM card wont be very accurate yet since I have no antennas plugged into it

ux32vd as you ! (works on UX31a/Ux21a too) here is the kext. place it in SLE with kext wizard

Do you remember that Zenlion deleted this kext and you too after? that work with. Why you deleted that? Idk

note about bluetooth in zenbooks:

there is two bluetooth adapters integrated:

2.1 bluetooth USB that work with the kext

[edit] addded screenshot of 2.1 bluetooth module on usb concentrator

4.0 bluetooth in the intel wireless Wifi / bluetooth Combo 6235 pci card, actually not working.

I bought a 3.0 bluetooth & wifi N combo card for 13$, 10 € in france:

Atheros AR5B195 AR3011 WiFi WLAN Bluetooth Combo Half Mini PCI-E Card

I'll tell soon if it works.

I found a BCM94312HMG lying around (actually from a Latitude 1545 laptop), and rebranded it as a Broadcom that should be natively recognized by Apple (Vend:Prod=14e4:4315), so I think I'm just missing the kext.

BUT, now the bluetooth doesn't work!!! F*CK--and I just got a Magic Mouse for an early Christmas present!!! I have no antenna hooked up, but the device is not shown.

Thomas, Can you send me your ioreg or any report that shows what the system sees in hardware? Specifically, Vendor/Product IDs and if your BT is working from the new wireless card you bought because I'm going to get the same. Also, do you have ALL the bluetooth kexts in your system? What about the USB-SCSI kext that was taken out before?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to check my BT kexts again. DSDT issues, maybe?

UGH.

I found a BCM94312HMG lying around (actually from a Latitude 1545 laptop), and rebranded it as a Broadcom that should be natively recognized by Apple (Vend:Prod=14e4:4315), so I think I'm just missing the kext.

BUT, now the bluetooth doesn't work!!! F*CK--and I just got a Magic Mouse for an early Christmas present!!! I have no antenna hooked up, but the device is not shown.

Thomas, Can you send me your ioreg or any report that shows what the system sees in hardware? Specifically, Vendor/Product IDs and if your BT is working from the new wireless card you bought because I'm going to get the same. Also, do you have ALL the bluetooth kexts in your system? What about the USB-SCSI kext that was taken out before?

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to check my BT kexts again. DSDT issues, maybe?

UGH.

Hi, i also have the BCM4312 on my old 6720s. I used this kext (IO80211Family from 10.6.8 => latest update with BCM4312 ven/dev id) -> download here.

The card works, but is not recognized as AirPort (i think you need to change manually subvendor and subdevice id from linux => search 'rebrand broadcom airport' on google and see)

Bye

Im not yet sure on price, so far the only company to get back to me wants me to order at least 50 of the.. so I'm going to look for another company and maybe find out how many people want them..

A speed test on the BCM card wont be very accurate yet since I have no antennas plugged into it

I doubt you will find a people to make you less than a bulk amount. These custom adapter designs won't be profitable unless you make these amounts. That being said... I'm down to buy a few myself. Soldering with coaxial cables can be finicky as there's a dielectric that's pretty important to signal transmission between the inside conductor and the shielding (ground in most instances). Just soldering might result in incorrect impedance matching and could lead to poorer signal ultimately. Anyway, let us know if you've got any progress with your companies.

Hi, i also have the BCM4312 on my old 6720s. I used this kext (IO80211Family from 10.6.8 => latest update with BCM4312 ven/dev id) -> download here.

The card works, but is not recognized as AirPort (i think you need to change manually subvendor and subdevice id from linux => search 'rebrand broadcom airport' on google and see)

Thanks for the link. Confirmed that it works? (see below), although I guess it's an older kext. I had rebranded it using this article:

http://www.osxlatitude.com/rebranding-broadcom-802-11abgn-cards-as-airport-extreme/

1. Note corrections here to the command to replace the OEM code (and my suggestion is to use Ubuntu 12.04--live CD would do it):

http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1483-rebranding-broadcom/

2. Modprobe doesn't actually give you any feedback. It just does what it's supposed to. Actually, there isn't a whole lot of feedback as to whether the ROM is extracted correctly--you just have to look for the ssb_sprom_copy file (i.e., the sprom file).

3. Ignore any warnings by Ubuntu to install drivers for the card if it detects the card when you boot--otherwise it will mess with the drivers that will allow you to extract the sprom.

I am on the lookout for a card that has BT and WiFi--and this card only has WiFi and I don't believe there is a separate BT--unless I turned it off somehow (there is no setting in the bios), and I ran lspci in Ubuntu, and it didn't see a BT device after I took the Intel Centrino Advanced out. More investigation necessary.

Here's what I see in System Profile report:

Software Versions:

CoreWLAN: 3.0.1 (301.12)

CoreWLANKit: 2.0 (200.10)

Menu Extra: 8.0 (800.7)

configd plug-in: 8.3 (830.18)

System Information: 8.0 (800.1)

IO80211 Family: 3.2 (320.1)

WiFi Diagnostics: 1.1 (110.26)

AirPort Utility: 6.1 (610.31)

Interfaces:

en0:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.27)

MAC Address: 00:22:5f:6d:94:fe

Locale: FCC

Country Code: US

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 b/g

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Wake On Wireless: Supported

Status: Off <----- Note: I turned it off because I don't have the antennas plugged in yet...

I doubt you will find a people to make you less than a bulk amount. These custom adapter designs won't be profitable unless you make these amounts. That being said... I'm down to buy a few myself. Soldering with coaxial cables can be finicky as there's a dielectric that's pretty important to signal transmission between the inside conductor and the shielding (ground in most instances). Just soldering might result in incorrect impedance matching and could lead to poorer signal ultimately. Anyway, let us know if you've got any progress with your companies.

I'm wondering if it's a better idea just to find antennas to replace the ones we have like what gsly did. Even when I buy my "new" card, I will probably look for an antenna matched to it unless research indicates that the ones in the Zenbook are usable with any card. Even then, it seems as if there is enough space to route BOTH sets of wires, so I may end up just keeping the Zenbook antennas and routing whatever antennas I end up getting through the same place.

On the UX32VD, the antennas are not in the screen, but rather the hinge area of the screen. They connect to the metal frame of the screen via the screws that hold the antenna assembly. I simply removed the Asus assembly and cannibalized an old Dell laptop antenna to put in it's place. Any yes, stripping those wires is delicate work!

How long were the antennas you pulled out from the Asus assembly?

Thanks for the link. Confirmed that it works? (see below), although I guess it's an older kext. I had rebranded it using this article:

http://www.osxlatitu...irport-extreme/

1. Note corrections here to the command to replace the OEM code (and my suggestion is to use Ubuntu 12.04--live CD would do it):

http://forum.osxlati...nding-broadcom/

2. Modprobe doesn't actually give you any feedback. It just does what it's supposed to. Actually, there isn't a whole lot of feedback as to whether the ROM is extracted correctly--you just have to look for the ssb_sprom_copy file (i.e., the sprom file).

3. Ignore any warnings by Ubuntu to install drivers for the card if it detects the card when you boot--otherwise it will mess with the drivers that will allow you to extract the sprom.

I am on the lookout for a card that has BT and WiFi--and this card only has WiFi and I don't believe there is a separate BT--unless I turned it off somehow (there is no setting in the bios), and I ran lspci in Ubuntu, and it didn't see a BT device after I took the Intel Centrino Advanced out. More investigation necessary.

Here's what I see in System Profile report:

Software Versions:

CoreWLAN: 3.0.1 (301.12)

CoreWLANKit: 2.0 (200.10)

Menu Extra: 8.0 (800.7)

configd plug-in: 8.3 (830.18)

System Information: 8.0 (800.1)

IO80211 Family: 3.2 (320.1)

WiFi Diagnostics: 1.1 (110.26)

AirPort Utility: 6.1 (610.31)

Interfaces:

en0:

Card Type: AirPort Extreme (0x14E4, 0x4E)

Firmware Version: Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.91.27)

MAC Address: 00:22:5f:6d:94:fe

Locale: FCC

Country Code: US

Supported PHY Modes: 802.11 b/g

Supported Channels: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Wake On Wireless: Supported

Status: Off <----- Note: I turned it off because I don't have the antennas plugged in yet...

I'm wondering if it's a better idea just to find antennas to replace the ones we have like what gsly did. Even when I buy my "new" card, I will probably look for an antenna matched to it unless research indicates that the ones in the Zenbook are usable with any card. Even then, it seems as if there is enough space to route BOTH sets of wires, so I may end up just keeping the Zenbook antennas and routing whatever antennas I end up getting through the same place.

How long were the antennas you pulled out from the Asus assembly?

I didn't rebrand it, so i must use the old 10.6.8 kext to get BCM4312 working.

Does AirPort fully work on your laptop? (in my System Profiler i see 'Third Party Wireless Card' instead of 'AirPort Extreme')

I didn't rebrand it, so i must use the old 10.6.8 kext to get BCM4312 working.

Does AirPort fully work on your laptop? (in my System Profiler i see 'Third Party Wireless Card' instead of 'AirPort Extreme')

I don't there is a newer kext, is there?

The listing above IS from my System Profile, which says "Airport Extreme". Should I look for something else to confirm? Not sure what it bought me anyway, but there it is.

I'm probably going to be looking for another Broadcom card, but def. with bluetooth. I need my Magic Mouse and LG headset.

Edit (added picture): Left = UX21A (before I stuffed all that antenna material into the laptop). Right = Latitude 1545 (probably Hackintosh that once I get the new card and put it back together).

Edit (added links): According to the specification and my experience, UX21A (UX31A) does NOT have separate BT 2.0 as does the UX32VD. Also compare:

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX32VD/#specifications

to

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Superior_Mobility/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX21A/#specifications

post-1090562-0-69540400-1354325849_thumb.jpg