great...thx a lot

bretle

bretle

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Hi nhart12

frist off all, thx to your thread installing osx to your zenbook which gives me the inspiration to do this on my samsung series 5, np530u4c-s01
it's nearly the same hardware, except display resolution, additional graphics chip (gt 620) and dvd-rw.

concerning your thread, I'am proud to get my ultrabook working, ML 10.8.2, but with some constraints.
main constraints are appleusbxhci and applehdacontroller.

can you give me some inspiration about my probs. do you have had the same probs about appleusbxhsi and applehdacontroller if you start up.

best regards
P.s. get hd4000 working, gt620 no. usb only if stick is pluged during boot. no sound.....

duklaa

duklaa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Depending on what method you used to make your USB drive it is probably already patched. Try to install on an MBR formatted hard drive, if it lets you then it was already patched..

I used the pkg file for latest chameleon (2.1 version 2069). Downloaded directly from the chameleon site.

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Wow. Just found this thread. Wish I found it 2 days ago, which I wasted because I couldn't get it to boot off the SSD without the USB drive and finally gave up installing ML on my UX21A (UX31A's little bro). Thank goodness for Windows restore. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend--or at least the weekend after I figure out which wireless card I should get (I guess the USB->LAN would be okay for now, but obviously the Ultrabook is a little less attractive if I had to lug a 50-foot cable around, ha!).

Has anyone been able to install Windows 7 (or even Windows 8) and OS X? I tried formatting using Disk Util with GUID, partition 1 = Mac OS X (60GB), partition 2 = ExFAT (100GB), partition 3 = ExFat for Windows 7 (90GB) (~250GB SSD), but I can't install Windows 7 off of the USB stick unless I install with non UEFI, and then Windows will say (after the first reboot) that it can't support the hardware (I'm pretty sure that's what happened--like I said, it's been 2 days of frustration and very little sleep). I guess if I can get OS X to work, then I really don't need Windows, but it would be nice to run Visio without running Parallels. I don't know if anyone has gotten Bootcamp to work, but I don't know enough about Apple software to know if Bootcamp is even applicable.

BTW I found this thread about the network cards:

(URL Removed)

references this sheet:

https://spreadsheets...=ru&output=html

Hope this helps someone.

-El Jorge

Edited by Lejenk, 29 March 2013 - 03:29 PM.
URL Removed.

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Wow. Just found this thread. Wish I found it 2 days ago, which I wasted because I couldn't get it to boot off the SSD without the USB drive and finally gave up installing ML on my UX21A (UX31A's little bro). Thank goodness for Windows restore. Guess I know what I'm doing this weekend--or at least the weekend after I figure out which wireless card I should get (I guess the USB->LAN would be okay for now, but obviously the Ultrabook is a little less attractive if I had to lug a 50-foot cable around, ha!).

Has anyone been able to install Windows 7 (or even Windows 8) and OS X? I tried formatting using Disk Util with GUID, partition 1 = Mac OS X (60GB), partition 2 = ExFAT (100GB), partition 3 = ExFat for Windows 7 (90GB) (~250GB SSD), but I can't install Windows 7 off of the USB stick unless I install with non UEFI, and then Windows will say (after the first reboot) that it can't support the hardware (I'm pretty sure that's what happened--like I said, it's been 2 days of frustration and very little sleep). I guess if I can get OS X to work, then I really don't need Windows, but it would be nice to run Visio without running Parallels. I don't know if anyone has gotten Bootcamp to work, but I don't know enough about Apple software to know if Bootcamp is even applicable.

BTW I found this thread about the network cards:

[b](URL Removed)[/b]
references this sheet:

https://spreadsheets...=ru&output=html

Hope this helps someone.

-El Jorge

Yes, you can install and triple boot Windows 7, ML and Ubuntu on the UX32VD using GPT and full UEFI booting using Clover. The trick is that you need the OsxAptioFixDrv found here http://www.projectos...?showtopic=2428 to allow Clover to work with the APTIO based BIOS as the memory maps are a little wonky. Forget Chameleon, its for legacy BIOS and Clover has even more features and its getting more features day by day.

Edited by Lejenk, 29 March 2013 - 03:29 PM.
URL Removed.

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Ugh. YES. Clover is the way to go, I (finally) gathered. I guess it makes sense now why: 1. Booted using my beast w/Chamelion USB disk and formatted using GPT and installed ML [All good]; 2: Booted Windows install using the UEFI version of Ultimate x64 [All good--files copied over and expanded]; 3) When Windows installer needed to reboot to finish the install, I used beast w/Chameleon to select the Windows partition so that Windows could finish set-up [Not good-Windows complained about not supporting the hardware because Chamelion boot it into bios mode]?

Anyhoo, it's not explicitly spelled out at the beginning of the thread, and not that I think I kind of know what's going on, but I'm guessing 1) I should GPT the drive first (using beast w/Chamelion)--1 partition each for Mac OS X, Windoze, and shared Data; 2) Install Clover (with the OsxAptioFixDrv from your link); 3) Install ML (throwing in all the kexts except for things I don't have in the UX21A, which I believe is the card reader and the NVidia card; 4) Install W7 (or maybe even W8).

Sound about right?

duklaa

duklaa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts
Is the SD card reader slot on UX31A working for people? I can't see the card in Disk Utility (but it works fine on a real mac).

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Ugh. YES. Clover is the way to go, I (finally) gathered. I guess it makes sense now why: 1. Booted using my beast w/Chamelion USB disk and formatted using GPT and installed ML [All good]; 2: Booted Windows install using the UEFI version of Ultimate x64 [All good--files copied over and expanded]; 3) When Windows installer needed to reboot to finish the install, I used beast w/Chameleon to select the Windows partition so that Windows could finish set-up [Not good-Windows complained about not supporting the hardware because Chamelion boot it into bios mode]?

Anyhoo, it's not explicitly spelled out at the beginning of the thread, and not that I think I kind of know what's going on, but I'm guessing 1) I should GPT the drive first (using beast w/Chamelion)--1 partition each for Mac OS X, Windoze, and shared Data; 2) Install Clover (with the OsxAptioFixDrv from your link); 3) Install ML (throwing in all the kexts except for things I don't have in the UX21A, which I believe is the card reader and the NVidia card; 4) Install W7 (or maybe even W8).

Sound about right?

Some of the files should hopefully work on the UX21.. What are the specs on that as far as processor, graphics card(h4000), audio card ?
Im wondering if you have V3 or V4 of the Elan trackpad since it is older.. I bring this up because there is a driver that allows multitouch being developed on one of the other forums, but it only works on V3 so far so maybe you could test that out since I have v4.
I am triple booted as well with Windows, Ubuntu, and OSX, but I am not using the GPT so I cant help you there. I installed Windows first using the MBR map and from the Windows installer I made 2 extra partitions for Ubuntu and OSX.. I then booted from the unibe@st installer on USB (which I think is automatically patched to allow an install on the MBR), and formatted one of the other partitions to HFS and it installed no problem. I loaded chameleon and it detected windows and booted windows just fine. If you install ubuntu just make sure to specify that the grub bootloader is installed to the partition you installed ubuntu on, otherwise it will screw up chameleon.
I am planning on trying Windows 8 soon hopefully I can do so without screwing anything up. Ubuntu is my OS of choice but I need OSX for Xcode and Windows for school if your wondering why I need 3 OS's.

I can add install instructions to the OP but I figured this thread would be more of a get things working thread since there is another thread in the install section for the UX32VD.

Is the SD card reader slot on UX31A working for people? I can't see the card in Disk Utility (but it works fine on a real mac).

No my SD card reader isn't working yet so I will add that to the to-do list. I honestly had forgotten this thing had a card reader until you said something lol.

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Hi nhart12

frist off all, thx to your thread installing osx to your zenbook which gives me the inspiration to do this on my samsung series 5, np530u4c-s01
it's nearly the same hardware, except display resolution, additional graphics chip (gt 620) and dvd-rw.

concerning your thread, I'am proud to get my ultrabook working, ML 10.8.2, but with some constraints.
main constraints are appleusbxhci and applehdacontroller.

can you give me some inspiration about my probs. do you have had the same probs about appleusbxhsi and applehdacontroller if you start up.

best regards
P.s. get hd4000 working, gt620 no. usb only if stick is pluged during boot. no sound.....

What audio card is in your laptop? and try pxhcd.kext (search for it) and that may or may not solve your usbxhsi

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Some of the files should hopefully work on the UX21.. What are the specs on that as far as processor, graphics card(h4000), audio card ?

Ahh, my friend, I'm glad you asked. The UX21*A* has pretty much the same spec as the UX31A, but it's 11.6 screen. I have the IPS screen, i7, and 256GB SSD. Anandtech wrote a nice review (http://www.anandtech...-ux21a-teardown).

Processor: Intel Core i7 3517U Processor, Intel Core i5 3317U Processor
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Professional,Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, Genuine Windows 7 Home Basic,Chipset: Intel HM76 Express Chipset
Memory: DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM, 4 GB, OnBoard Memory
Display: 11.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768)/IPS FHD (1920x1080)
Graphic: Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000
Storage: SATA III SSD, 128GB/ 256GB
Camera: HD Web Camera *1
Networking: Integrated 802.11 a/b/g/n + BT 4.0 support (on WLAN+ BT 4.0 combo card)*2 -- Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 PCI Express Half Mini Network
Interface: 1 x Headphone-out jack (Audio-in Combo), 2 x USB 3.0 port(s), 1 x micro HDMI, 1 x Mini VGA*3
Audio: Built-in Speakers And Microphone
Bang & Olufsen ICEpower
Battery: 35 Whrs Polymer Battery
Power Adapter:
Output: 19 V DC, A, 45 W
Input: 100 -240 V AC, 50/60 Hz universal
Dimensions: 299 x 196.8 x 3 ~17 mm (WxDxH)
Weight: 1.1 kg

I'm going to see what happens with GPT, and maybe install Windows 8 instead. GOod the know the sequence, though I thought it didn't matter which was installed first.

duklaa

duklaa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Yes, you can install and triple boot Windows 7, ML and Ubuntu on the UX32VD using GPT and full UEFI booting using Clover. The trick is that you need the OsxAptioFixDrv found here http://www.projectos...?showtopic=2428 to allow Clover to work with the APTIO based BIOS as the memory maps are a little wonky. Forget Chameleon, its for legacy BIOS and Clover has even more features and its getting more features day by day.

I tried to install Clover but it doesn't work even in MBR mode. I get stuck at rEFIT legacy boot blue line and then it just sits there. What exactly did you do to get Clover to work? (I have UX31A not UX32VD...but it seems that they are mostly similar.)

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

I tried to install Clover but it doesn't work even in MBR mode. I get stuck at rEFIT legacy boot blue line and then it just sits there. What exactly did you do to get Clover to work? (I have UX31A not UX32VD...but it seems that they are mostly similar.)

Forget MBR mode as that is not what Clover is all about. I wasn't able to get Clover to work in MBR mode either. The trick is you must format the Clover USB boot media as GPT so it creates the FAT32 system partition where Clover will live. When booting the media, select UEFI:... from the boot menu and then the UEFI run-time will be used to boot. The same goes for booting and installing Windows and Linux as well, select the UEFI option and then everything will play nicely...almost. Make a backup of the FAT32 system partition before each install as I did have OSX delete the contents of this during install (Bad Apple!) of 10.8 (10.8.2 seemed to be fixed?), but in theory if the OEM implements the standard correctly, you should be able to install multiple OS's without them stepping on each other like in the old MBR world where there can be only one booter.

nhart12

nhart12

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

I am using chameleon on the MBR not clover so I cant help you with that.

I tried to use your new DSDT and AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext but then I lost audio. I had to revert back to the last-known-good state to get the audio working again. Audio works with patched AppleHDA and IOAudioFamily kexts.

You most likely did not lose audio, when you used my newer DSDT it enabled HDMI audio so you probably just had to go into audio settings to set it to use the speakers and not HDMI out for audio. When using HDMI out it takes away all the audio controls and you must adjust audio from the device itself. Try it again and let me know.

duklaa

duklaa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

You most likely did not lose audio, when you used my newer DSDT it enabled HDMI audio so you probably just had to go into audio settings to set it to use the speakers and not HDMI out for audio. When using HDMI out it takes away all the audio controls and you must adjust audio from the device itself. Try it again and let me know.

Tried it again. Now I have the same files as the ones attached to the OP and it seems to be working. But how do I know if HDMI works? (I don't have anything with HDMI to connect to). I don't see HDMI in the sound properties...only internal speakers.

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

1. So I started fresh, and in GParted, I deleted all the partitions in on my ADATA 256 GB SSD and created a GPT disk with the following partitions (sizes are approximate):
- 90 GB: Windows 8 (FAT32 - I later let Windows 8 installed delete this partition and create what it wanted, as it wasn't going to install otherwise).
- 64 GB: Mac OS (FAT32 - again, I'll let OS X delete this partition and create what it wants during install)
- 100 GB: Data (NTFS--I figured I would put data on this partition and would be able to access my pictures, etc. when booted into either OS)

2. Installed Windows 8 using UEFI and GPT, during which the 90 GB partition turned into:
*: Recovery - NTFS 300 MB
*: (unnamed) - FAT32 100 MB (EFI System Partition)
*: (unnamed) - Other 128 MB (Reserved Partition--Presumably MS Reserved Partition)
C: (unnamed) - NTFS 86 GB (Windows 8 install)

I'm at the stage where I'm about to install OS X, and have a few questions:

1. Once I install OS X, do I put the Kexts from the first post in the Mac OS partition (/System/Library/Extensions folder) or in my Clover USB (/EFI/kexts/)? Are there any kexts I need to delete from the Mac OS Partition?

Edit: NM regarding the first part, I read more into the kext injection section and I'll try to put it into the appropriate Clover USB folder first--most likely EFI\kexts\10.8 folder.

2. Do I replace the config.plist in /EFI folder with the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file that's in the "UX31A-Extra" attachment from the first post? (I know to put the DSDT and SSDT's in the /EFI/ACPI/patched folder).

3. I presume the SMBios.plist file isn't necessary for UEFI? If so, where does it go?

Played around with creating a Clover USB, and haven't been successful with the UEFI set-up. The BIOS approach has previously worked when I was playing with the failed attempt (when I was trying to install OS X and Windows 7) where I can see the "menu" of icons to select a boot OS option. Doesn't the latest Clover package have OsxAptioFixDrv? I saw that option in the install and selected it, should I download a different version of it, like the one you have in your link above? I presume once I get this working, I'll copy what's on my Clover USB to the EFI partition per the "UEFI boot with Clover.rtf" instructions on the Clover USB.

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

1. So I started fresh, and in GParted, I deleted all the partitions in on my ADATA 256 GB SSD and created a GPT disk with the following partitions (sizes are approximate):
- 90 GB: Windows 8 (FAT32 - I later let Windows 8 installed delete this partition and create what it wanted, as it wasn't going to install otherwise).
- 64 GB: Mac OS (FAT32 - again, I'll let OS X delete this partition and create what it wants during install)
- 100 GB: Data (NTFS--I figured I would put data on this partition and would be able to access my pictures, etc. when booted into either OS)

2. Installed Windows 8 using UEFI and GPT, during which the 90 GB partition turned into:
*: Recovery - NTFS 300 MB
*: (unnamed) - FAT32 100 MB (EFI System Partition)
*: (unnamed) - Other 128 MB (Reserved Partition--Presumably MS Reserved Partition)
C: (unnamed) - NTFS 86 GB (Windows 8 install)

I'm at the stage where I'm about to install OS X, and have a few questions:

1. Once I install OS X, do I put the Kexts from the first post in the Mac OS partition (/System/Library/Extensions folder) or in my Clover USB (/EFI/kexts/)? Are there any kexts I need to delete from the Mac OS Partition?

Edit: NM regarding the first part, I read more into the kext injection section and I'll try to put it into the appropriate Clover USB folder first--most likely EFI\kexts\10.8 folder.

2. Do I replace the config.plist in /EFI folder with the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file that's in the "UX31A-Extra" attachment from the first post? (I know to put the DSDT and SSDT's in the /EFI/ACPI/patched folder).

3. I presume the SMBios.plist file isn't necessary for UEFI? If so, where does it go?

Played around with creating a Clover USB, and haven't been successful with the UEFI set-up. The BIOS approach has previously worked when I was playing with the failed attempt (when I was trying to install OS X and Windows 7) where I can see the "menu" of icons to select a boot OS option. Doesn't the latest Clover package have OsxAptioFixDrv? I saw that option in the install and selected it, should I download a different version of it, like the one you have in your link above? I presume once I get this working, I'll copy what's on my Clover USB to the EFI partition per the "UEFI boot with Clover.rtf" instructions on the Clover USB.

1. For the UX32VD, yes, there are stock kexts that have to be removed (see the UX32VD thread). Don't forget to rebuild the kernel cache!
2. Forget your Chameleon knowledge :) Toss org.chameleon.Boot.plist after editting your config.plist with any similar options. I'm using the OEM folder with a UX32VD specific folder for the configuration and drivers so I can use one Clover USB to boot multiple machines (another plus for Clover!)
3. Toss it as well as it goes in config.plist as well, but only if you need to override something specific, otherwise you can just configure your mac model and Clover will auto-inject the rest automatically!

I'm compiling Clover from the source code so YMMV. See the thread about OsxAptioFixDrv if you can't get Clover to boot boot.efi. Yes, once you get Clover USB configured to boot correctly, just copy it to the "EFI System Partition" and configure a new boot option in the BIOS that loads CLOVERX64.EFI

Read through the Clover thread on projectosx.com as there is lots of detail in there. Yes its big, but once you understand and start to use Clover, you'll see it is more flexible and emulates the Apple boot environment way better than Chameleon.
  • cyf likes this

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Clover seems to be working now, at least to boot into Windows 8.

Will be installing OS X. Does it matter which guide I use to install it? Beast, myHack, etc.? I'm presuming it's not going to matter much as long as it gets OS X onto the partition I saved for it, and as long as I save the Windows 8 created EFI boot partition (above), in case the OS X install kills it, I should be good with Clover as the boot loader?

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Edit from my update of below:

I. Recovery of Windows EFI Partition works after OS X Install Blasts it.
I must have used the wrong partition for approach 2, below, because I tried it again and Windows 8 is back as the default boot! (Maybe this is why people say to install Windows 8 second?) Thus, I solved the problem (which, actually I noted from one of glsly's earlier posts of what he did, so I guess HE had previously solved the problem :-) ):

1) copied EFI partition backup into the unallocated partition that Mac OS X blasted.

2) made the EFI partition the "boot" partition--which is weird because the original install had my Windows partition as the boot partition (see picture below).

3) made the EFI partition that the Mac OS installer made into a MS reserved partition, but now that Windows is booting again, I'm going to play around with it. I mounted the partition in GParted, and I didn't see anything other than a few hidden files. Strange that GParted reports this partition as being 3 MB's when the few files/folders that I unhid and selected totaled less than 5 KB.

So I guess my next step is to figure out why Clover can't see the Mac OS. Can anyone tell me what's in their Mac EFI partition?

II. During OS X Install Somehow Changed the NTFS partition that I used for data into HFS+

I'm just going to recover the files from back-up, which I made right before I ventured into this.

III. Wrapping up OS X install

Installed kexts using Kext Wizard, and will be fidling around with everything as my system is a UX21A, so there still may be something weird about it.

FYI: Free Crossover giveaway: http://flock.codeweavers.com/ (One day--Oct. 31, 2012 only).
----------End Edit------------

Update: Installed OS X 10.8.2 and I think OS X tore up my Windows boot partition:

Before:
http://tinyurl.com/b...OSxandIwasHappy

After:
http://tinyurl.com/a...tallandImcrying

Consequently, Windows won't boot. Tried:

1. Repair using Windows 8 Recovery, and Windows says the disk is locked.

2. Copying EFI partition from one I saved earlier (using EASEUS Partition Master) to the nuked EFI partition, and still no joy (I marked the Windows partition as active)--bios doesn't see any boot disks.

I can still see and boot into the Mac OS install using the Beast USB, but Clover USB can't see either the Mac OS install or the Windows partitions.

The disk is still showing as GPT, and I can see my files in Windows. Strangely, as I'm typing this, I've noticed that my Data partition (which was NTFS), is now showing as hfs+, and both sda5 and sda6 are labeled Mac_OS_eX.

Also, can't boot up in Beast, even with -x.

This works to boot up the Mac OS install:

-x -f -v GraphicsEnabler=No PciRootUID=0 npci=0x3000 busratio=12

but USB doesn't work so I can't copy over kexts--will try booting using same and copying kexts over so I can at least see what a "working" OS X (sans wireless) looks like.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have my Windows 8 image, but would hate to give up at this point.

Did I screw up something in the OS X install? I figured that the system would at least see the EFI created by the Beast install. I can't recall if I tried to boot directly into OS X.

(With all the lost hours of billing, I could have gone out and bought a RMBP already--but I guess what's the "fun" in that...)

Edited by Lejenk, 29 March 2013 - 07:28 PM.
Removed references

gsly

gsly

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Edit from my update of below:

I. Recovery of Windows EFI Partition works after OS X Install Blasts it.
I must have used the wrong partition for approach 2, below, because I tried it again and Windows 8 is back as the default boot! (Maybe this is why people say to install Windows 8 second?) Thus, I solved the problem (which, actually I noted from one of glsly's earlier posts of what he did, so I guess HE had previously solved the problem :-) ):
So I guess my next step is to figure out why Clover can't see the Mac OS. Can anyone tell me what's in their Mac EFI partition?

I also found out that 10.8.2 will nuke the existing EFI partition *after* it does the first startup so at the moment, my UX32VB only boots into the BIOS :( I haven't had time to fix it, but with EFI its fairly easy to recover from this, but the whole point of UEFI is that this shouldn't happen and multiple boot loaders should work together but Apple didn't really implement the UEFI standard properly. That is why when you look at the Mac EFI partition, you don't see much other than a firmware.scap file that is used by Apple for their firware update process.

In the UEFI world, the BIOS is a mini-OS and as such, needs drivers for the hardware. Usually the OEM's include all of the drivers in the BIOS for things like the trackpad, etc. In the case of Clover, it needs a driver to be able to read HFS+ partitions so it can see and load the boot.efi. This is Apple's boot loader that their firmware is hard-coded to load (and has a driver for) and if Apple had implemented UEFI properly, it should have been located in the EFI partition and not in the OS HFS+ partition. Anyhow, make sure that you have either HFSPlus.efi or VBoxHFS.efi in your drivers64UEFI and then Clover should be able to see the Mac Partition.

I think I'm going to take advantage of the Windows 8 $15 upgrade, wipe my UX32VD and re-install Windows 8 Pro UEFI, Ubuntu x64 12.10 UEFI and Mountain Lion 10.8.2 UEFI using the latest Clover. I'll see if I can document the process, but I suspect its going to take a few attempts to get it working the way I want it to.

Another thing I noticed (preiovusly) on my UX32VD when I had multiple EFI partitions, when using the ESC key to choose a boot device, you might notice a short pause the first time and magically boot options may be added. I believe during process the BIOS will enumerate all EFI paritions looking for a few key boot files (Windows and BOOTX64.efI) and adds the EFI boot variables automatically. Useful if something wipes out the nvram variables, or you want to have a backup EFI partition, although in the case of the latter you get multiple entries and it isn't clear if you are booting from the primary or backup :)

cyf

cyf

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

I also found out that 10.8.2 will nuke the existing EFI partition *after* it does the first startup so at the moment, my UX32VB only boots into the BIOS :(
(rant, with which I concur, deleted :wink2: )
In the case of Clover, it needs a driver to be able to read HFS+ partitions so it can see and load the boot.efi. ...

I think I'm going to take advantage of the Windows 8 $15 upgrade, wipe my UX32VD and re-install Windows 8 Pro UEFI, Ubuntu x64 12.10 UEFI and Mountain Lion 10.8.2 UEFI using the latest Clover. I'll see if I can document the process, but I suspect its going to take a few attempts to get it working the way I want it to.

Ahh, the whole reason for the HFS drivers makes sense now. I'm seriously hoping I don't have to reinstall everything. So, add the HFS driver to Clover, once that works install it to the ESP (Mac OS EFI) partition and then set Clover to be the default boot. I've already stuck all the kexts in /S/L/E, and I guess the DSDT and com.apple.boot.plist goes in the /Extra folder?

I HAVE had a little time to play with the OS X install and setting at least the kexts up booting through the Beast approach. Remaining niggling issues include the fact that the ASIX USB-Ethernet adapter doesn't work--even using that modified kext in one of the earlier posts; I have to update the UX31A DSDT for my UX21A to make sure there's nothing screwy even though the two are very close; TouchPad (have to check on that Elan thread); Fn-keys; and, strangely, the BT kexts I was told to take out in the first few posts rendered the Bluetooth useless, so I put them back in and was still able to boot without -x. Then I can finally figure out what card I want to replace the combo card. Sadly, I haven't seen anything with as many features as the 6235 we have in the system (dual band, BT 4.0, etc.).

I'll keep a clone of the whole disk once I get this figured out. I have 3 or 4 300GB PATA drives that I took out of my IDE/SCSI RAID that are just sitting around for back-up purposes.

Funny thing is that I plan to ditch Windows completely, or at least reduce its use significantly, if the Mac OS X and related programs work out.

Don't forget this, if the upgrade is the Pro version (I have to look into this because I've installed the 90 Enterprise Eval.)

askvg-dot-com/get-windows-media-center-pack-for-windows-8-free/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy