ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Thank you to everyone for your contributions to this thread.

It took me a couple days but I was able to get everything up and running again with no issues on my UX31a. 

I guess my next step is to get better battery life, it's pretty dismal right now. Am I able to patch the bios without having access to windows? For those of you who've done it, what has your battery life improvement been like? Are you back up to a couple of hours at least?

Thank you to everyone for your contributions to this thread.

It took me a couple days but I was able to get everything up and running again with no issues on my UX31a. 

I guess my next step is to get better battery life, it's pretty dismal right now. Am I able to patch the bios without having access to windows? For those of you who've done it, what has your battery life improvement been like? Are you back up to a couple of hours at least?

Battery life for me is about 3-4 hours. I personally use DisableTurboBoost on battery kext (check OSXLatitude), although it increases battery life, it still isn't the 5-6 hours found on Windows. I highly recommend that you do BIOS modding on Windows.

Battery life for me is about 3-4 hours. I personally use DisableTurboBoost on battery kext (check OSXLatitude), although it increases battery life, it still isn't the 5-6 hours found on Windows. I highly recommend that you do BIOS modding on Windows.

Would you care to layout how to do the bios mod? I tried and I failed, I'm just lucky I was able to rollback.

What do I use to extract it? is it pmpatch?

Because coderush himself says not to use on laptops for possibility of bricking, since we would have to resolder the chip. soldering those small pins are just impossible without rework station.

Would you care to layout how to do the bios mod? I tried and I failed, I'm just lucky I was able to rollback.

I already did it on a post few posts back ... What you want to do is extract your BIOS, use PMPAtch, and then re-apply the modded BIOS.

It's not safe to do with a downloaded bios file I guess? I don't have windows on my UX31 anymore to extract -> patch -> and apply.

I tried doing that way before, the issue was that PMPatch increases the file size for a BIOS update. The max size that an UX32VD takes is 6MB, and anything larger will cause the update utility to deem it as "invalid/corrupt". The best way is to taker dump of your BIOS on Windows using fptw64, PMPatch, and reapply via fptw64.

Can somebody share what happens when they try to PMPatch their already modded rom? I'd just like to compare my output. Maybe I'm already PMPatch-ed. But how would I mod my bios for unlocked settings?

Sweet. Haha. Hustle and bustle for nothing, that's a relief

Edit: I'd like to enable static graphics because I would rather use the nVidia card. So I would eventually like to unlock my settings.

However thank you ramalama, 68x and any other notable contributer! I'm using the exact setup as 68x so it was very easy to replicate. I have all the links to the main posts if anyone would like me to compile them into a guide (you know a spoonfeeder thing)

I vaguely remember what patches were included in 68x's DSDT, and I was wondering if it has to be modified to allow the use of the nvidia 620m? if it does and it is too much of a hassle to ask for a dsdt that allows use of it, then I can live with the HD4000

Sweet. Haha. Hustle and bustle for nothing, that's a relief

Edit: I'd like to enable static graphics because I would rather use the nVidia card. So I would eventually like to unlock my settings.

However thank you ramalama, 68x and any other notable contributer! I'm using the exact setup as 68x so it was very easy to replicate. I have all the links to the main posts if anyone would like me to compile them into a guide (you know a spoonfeeder thing)

I vaguely remember what patches were included in 68x's DSDT, and I was wondering if it has to be modified to allow the use of the nvidia 620m? if it does and it is too much of a hassle to ask for a dsdt that allows use of it, then I can live with the HD4000

That would be much appreciated!  I have been working on getting OSx running on my ux32vd for a few weeks(on and off) and i've been finding various information from various places and in the end, it's broken thanks to a bad video driver.  At its best, I had it booting quickly, battery meter, sound, touchpad, and full resolution.  What was missing was video acceleration for the hd4000(very jumpy).  I also haven't swapped my WiFi card yet but I do have a compatible USB one that I ordered to use until i decide this is something i'm going to run as a daily OS.  

My current setup:  Along with specs in my signature, I have latest Clover bootloader installed.  I installed OSx Mavericks from a distro on usb(I don't have access to a Mac).  

I was going to just format and start over for the OSx install so a short guide would be a great help to see where I went wrong :)

I've successfully booted with clover (using the files posted by darkera13 #900)  on my ASUS UX31A UX31A-DH51 Ultrabook. The hdmi and sound work fine when I connect it to a regular tv that has a hdmi connector. 

However, for some reason the hdmi (using a dvi to hdmi micro converter) or vga out do not work with my view sonic vx2235wm monitor. When booting the monitor has the clover boot screen, but after the os loads the screen goes black and says there is no signal. 

Most people have said to edit the dsdt and used a patched AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext. I get confused at the "edit the dsdt part" (most of the time its just their entire dsdt... which would be great if I knew what I was looking for).

How do I find the section of the dsdt that deals specifically with the hdmi problem I am having?

Thanks!

I've successfully booted with clover (using the files posted by darkera13 #900)  on my ASUS UX31A UX31A-DH51 Ultrabook. The hdmi and sound work fine when I connect it to a regular tv that has a hdmi connector. 

However, for some reason the hdmi (using a dvi to hdmi micro converter) or vga out do not work with my view sonic vx2235wm monitor. When booting the monitor has the clover boot screen, but after the os loads the screen goes black and says there is no signal. 

Most people have said to edit the dsdt and used a patched AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext. I get confused at the "edit the dsdt part" (most of the time its just their entire dsdt... which would be great if I knew what I was looking for).

How do I find the section of the dsdt that deals specifically with the hdmi problem I am having?

Thanks!

Do they work if you wait till the system is booted and them plug them in?

Generally only HDMI or VGA will work, both don't work at the same time..

I ended up getting a cheap usb->vga adapter for my second monitor.

I'm getting an occasional scrambled screen upon startup and no sound from wake I'm using exact setup as 68x

I tried doing the EDID fix that is posted in this forum, but none of the parameters mentioned are found in my ioreg -l

Edit: fixed EDID problem, I needed to make the window full screen when using ioreg. I still have problems with no sound from wake and occasional freezes after pulling my charger out.

I've done a bunch of searching for the no sound on sound on wake issue, it apparently is a mavericks issue that's common on other MacBooks as well. I have an apple script saved that I just run that unloads appleHDA.kext and then reloads it.

Once I get time to get a linux bootable I think ill use the EAPD kext. Thanks

Edit: I have been searching for a while with no luck. And I was wondering how I can hide the unused partition (boot options) in clover? eg. Internal EFI

I'm getting an occasional scrambled screen upon startup and no sound from wake I'm using exact setup as 68x

I tried doing the EDID fix that is posted in this forum, but none of the parameters mentioned are found in my ioreg -l

Edit: fixed EDID problem, I needed to make the window full screen when using ioreg. I still have problems with no sound from wake and occasional freezes after pulling my charger out.

Wait, wait, wait. You managed to solve the scrambled screen on boot problem? Did it look anything similar to this? https://i.imgur.com/dwBAgw7.jpg

In that case, could you give me some directions? I've been having that problem since Mavericks and it's been bugging me non-stop. I feel like I've tried everything in my power and researched it for hours and no solution.