ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

@68x

can u share your latest patched dsdt.aml and your applehda.kext plz? im on 10.8.5 and getting random kps with voodoohda. :(

Sorry, but I will not posting my DSDT anymore. You are welcome to use the MacIASL repo I set up.

If you don't mind posting the KP log, I don't mind taking a look at it.

Hello everyone. I have ASUS Zenbook UX31A (late 2012, so new model) with i5-3317U and bios version 218. I have made USB with Clover bootloader and succesfully installed Mac OS X 10.8.5. I dont use any DSDTs and SSDTs because I get error(panic) on boot (see attachemnt). The minimal set of kexts for me to boot is NullCPU, AppleIntelCPUPWM and FakeSCM. I have tried nhart's DSDTs, SSDTs and kexts but I get the same error. Also I have tried DSDTs and SSDTs from other people. Audio, speakphone and FN keys, SpeedStep dont work. Intel HD4000(time to time lags) and shutdown work bad. And not sure USB 3.0 is working. 

I have attached my Clover's folder, ioreg and photo of boot console.

Options in BIOS which I changed:

- Legacy USB support Enabled

- XHCI Pre-Boot Mode Disabled

- Fast Boot Enabled

- Launch CSM Disabled

- Secure Boot Control Disabled

What to do? Who can share DSDTs, SSDTs and kexts for BIOS 218? Thank you

post-1213262-0-96772000-1380728898_thumb.jpg

files.zip

* DSDT UX31A Bios 219
* Disassembly of iASLWevC8J.aml, Sun Sep 22 20:26:16 2013
* BIX Edit 16 bits -> 2x 8 bits
* Brightness Fn F5 _Q0E and Fn F6_Q0E : 0x20 and 0x11
* SKBL for keyboard backlight
* Inserted MCHC and Insert SMBus
* Replaced Names such as USBx -> UHCx and GFX0 -> IGPU
* HD4000 0x01660009 (Mobile) and HDMI (HDEF)
* AAPL for EHCI1,2 XHCI1 and PS2K
* OS Darwin, Wifi (Fn F2) inserted at line 8700

@Yivo
This DSDT is for UX31A. I used 68x' repo and other standard patches.
Please update your bios to version 219. I have notice several changes with version 218 and earlier.
I have read that 10.9 requires other patches. I have not yet applied them.

EDIT : To generate your SSDT, please read 68x' post a few pages up.

For your Config.Plist (Clover), Start with FixMask = 0000 to avoid KP. 

EDIT : see post              #655             for a more complete version (October 12th 2013).

DSDT SSDT ConfigPlist.zip

• Like 1

* DSDT UX31A Bios 219

* Disassembly of iASLWevC8J.aml, Sun Sep 22 20:26:16 2013

* Inserted MCHC and Insert SMBus

@Yivo

This DSDT is for UX31A. I used 68x' repo and other standard patches.

Please update your bios to version 219. I have notice several changes with version 218 and earlier.

I have read that 10.9 requires other patches. I have not yet applied them.

Édit: oops! had a problem while uploading the file. I'll add it tomorrow

OK. I will update BIOS. Thank you.

Fixed error (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/283038-zenbook-prime-fixes-mods-tweaks-etc/page-32?do=findComment&comment=1950172) by disabling DSDT fixes (leaving only shutdown, warnings and HPET).

Now FN keys, sleep, audio, speaker are working. I will check SpeedStep and USB 3.0.

Rom1, can you also share your config.plist please?

UPD: I have successfully updated BIOS to version 219. Than I downloaded Rom1's attachments. Renamed DSDT09.aml to DSDT.aml and put it in EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched folder. Next I generated SSDT with ssdtPRGen and put SSDT.aml file in to the same folder. Put Rom1's config.plist in EFI\CLOVER\. Than I downloaded latest kexts and put them in EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.8 and S\L\E folders. Rebooted. Not all of FN keys are working. Dont work:

- keyboard backlight (F3, F4)

- on\off LCD (F7)

- on\off touchpad (F9)

Also no audio and microphone. Speedstep, networking, LCD brightness and other features sees to work.

My kexts in zip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5yl71hqny1vhax/10.8.zip

Also I have attached ioreg.

Rom1, can you help me?

ioreg.zip

Hello everyone,

I've been rather quiet these past days. I managed to patch BIOS 219 for my UX31A with PMPatch and i successfully flashed it from within Windows 8 with the official ASUS BIOS update utility.

Here are the steps :

1) Create patched BIOS file with the PMPatch utility. See this thread : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285444-pmpatch-uefi-patching-utility/

2) Start Asus BIOS flash utility and open the ORIGINAL UNPATCHED 219 BIOS file. Make sure that in the SAME folder as that file, you also have the PATCHED BIOS 219 file.

3) The utility will be ready to update the BIOS. Right before clicking the FLASH button, rename the ORIGINAL UNPATCHED 219 BIOS file to something different and change the name of the PATCHED BIOS 219 file to what your ORGINAL UNPATCHED 219 file was when you loaded it up in the ASUS BIOS flash utility.

4) Press the flash button and the ASUS BIOS update utility will update your BIOS to the patched version 219.

This will allow you to keep the original AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext untouched. You system will boot just fine with the original file in place.

I'm now in the midst of re installing my system with 10.8.4 and I will let you all know how it goes.

Regards,

Adi

Hello everyone. I have ASUS Zenbook UX31A (late 2012, so new model) with i5-3317U and bios version 218. I have made USB with Clover bootloader and succesfully installed Mac OS X 10.8.5. I dont use any DSDTs and SSDTs because I get error(panic) on boot (see attachemnt). The minimal set of kexts for me to boot is NullCPU, AppleIntelCPUPWM and FakeSCM. I have tried nhart's DSDTs, SSDTs and kexts but I get the same error. Also I have tried DSDTs and SSDTs from other people. Audio, speakphone and FN keys, SpeedStep dont work. Intel HD4000(time to time lags) and shutdown work bad. And not sure USB 3.0 is working. 

I have attached my Clover's folder, ioreg and photo of boot console.

Options in BIOS which I changed:

- Legacy USB support Enabled

- XHCI Pre-Boot Mode Disabled

- Fast Boot Enabled

- Launch CSM Disabled

- Secure Boot Control Disabled

What to do? Who can share DSDTs, SSDTs and kexts for BIOS 218? Thank you

Remove the npci=0x2000 bootflag, I will be tweaking my guide to work with just a modified DSDT.

UPD: I have successfully updated BIOS to version 219. Than I downloaded Rom1's attachments. Renamed DSDT09.aml to DSDT.aml and put it in EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\patched folder. Next I generated SSDT with ssdtPRGen and put SSDT.aml file in to the same folder. Put Rom1's config.plist in EFI\CLOVER\. Than I downloaded latest kexts and put them in EFI\CLOVER\kexts\10.8 and S\L\E folders. Rebooted. Not all of FN keys are working. Dont work:

- keyboard backlight (F3, F4)

- on\off LCD (F7)

- on\off touchpad (F9)

Also no audio and microphone. Speedstep, networking, LCD brightness and other features sees to work.

My kexts in zip: https://www.dropbox.com/s/p5yl71hqny1vhax/10.8.zip

Also I have attached ioreg.

Rom1, can you help me?

Use these patches:

http://fatalfatalis.ca/laptop/

keyboard_backlight.txt (Fn+F3 and Fn+F4)

lid_sleep.txt (Fn+F7)

pnlf.txt (LCD Brightness)

Use Elan touchpad made by EmlyDinesh from osxlatiude for Fn+F9.

For audio, I recommend using VoodooHDA for the time being. Speedstep, what is your CPU?

• Like 1

Remove the npci=0x2000 bootflag, I will be tweaking my guide to work with just a modified DSDT.

keyboard_backlight.txt (Fn+F3 and Fn+F4)

lid_sleep.txt (Fn+F7)

pnlf.txt (LCD Brightness)

Use Elan touchpad made by EmlyDinesh from osxlatiude for Fn+F9.

@Yivo : I'll check tomorrow that the above patches from 68x' repo are in DSDT09.aml posted above.

If not I'll add them and post an updated DSDT version.

I need to figure out how to use Clover DSDT Debug mode in order to understand how some Clover fixes (e.g. shutdown fix) changes the DSDT.

@68x : I have not yet tried without npci flag. Thanks for the tip.

I had working 10.8.5 OS X on my zenbook.

But my Mac OS X partition got corrupted - from Windows probably - I have there HFS+ driver so it can access from there - and it is not possible to boot to Mac OS X and it is not possible to fix it with disk utility now.

I am trying to find a way to be able to run DiskWarrior on this drive.

But DiskWarrior only runs from working OS X. Not from installation disk.

The created USB DiskWarrior usb booting flash disk does not allow me to boot somehow. Do not know how to fix it. It starts to load OS X, but it does not even get to kext loading. I do not know where to start to be able to fix this.

I am trying to find a way how to run DiskWarrior.

I am thinking whether not to try to install OS X on flash disk and then to try to start DiskWarrior from there.

Also found iPortable Snow OSx86 10.6.2 Bootable USB image [intel SSE2/SSE3].

Do you think that such old OS version would be possible to boot and use on zenbook?

Also thinking if not to try resize some partition and make some space on second SSD, where Windows is installed and to try to install and run Mac OS X 10.8.3 with DiskWarrior from there? Are there any restrictions or requirements about partition, please? Eg. does not Mac OS X need to be installed on the first partition?

Any other opinions how to fix corrupted partition, please?

I have 10.7.5 on other PC see details in signature below, thinking if it can be used for something?

@68x: Thank you. This solved audio problems. But now I can not select multiple files with USB mouse (drag something or select text). I have reinstalled Logitech drivers but it didnt help me. 

I will wait until Rom1 checks his DSDT because I have compile errors when compiling patched DSDT. Speedstep is working fine. My CPU is Intel i5-3317U. I just generated SSDT with script called ssdtPRGen.

So, sleep is not working (notebook shutdowns immediately), some problems with shutdown (errors like '/dev/disk1/home unmount failed' etc), FN keys and new problem - Finder lags, shows empty folders and lags crazy when searching something. Search always returns nothing. Dont know what to do with this. Already repaired disk with DiskUtility but nothing changed. How to fix?

first up, great work to everyone who's been contributing to the success of this model.

Is there a way to get the original wireless to work at this point? Or must a person get a better/different card?

Stop. Don't even ask about getting the Intel card working. It's been discussed too many times before, the answer is no.

@68x: Thank you. This solved audio problems. But now I can not select multiple files with USB mouse (drag something or select text). I have reinstalled Logitech drivers but it didnt help me. 
I will wait until Rom1 checks his DSDT because I have compile errors when compiling patched DSDT. Speedstep is working fine. My CPU is Intel i5-3317U. I just generated SSDT with script called ssdtPRGen.
So, sleep is not working (notebook shutdowns immediately), some problems with shutdown (errors like '/dev/disk1/home unmount failed' etc), FN keys and new problem - Finder lags, shows empty folders and lags crazy when searching something. Search always returns nothing. Dont know what to do with this. Already repaired disk with DiskUtility but nothing changed. How to fix?

The sleep issue is related to SSDT. Do you mind if I can take a look at your ioreg dump? I want to see if the power management related kexts are being loaded.

I had working 10.8.5 OS X on my zenbook.

But my Mac OS X partition got corrupted - from Windows probably - I have there HFS+ driver so it can access from there - and it is not possible to boot to Mac OS X and it is not possible to fix it with disk utility now.

I am trying to find a way to be able to run DiskWarrior on this drive.

But DiskWarrior only runs from working OS X. Not from installation disk.

The created USB DiskWarrior usb booting flash disk does not allow me to boot somehow. Do not know how to fix it. It starts to load OS X, but it does not even get to kext loading. I do not know where to start to be able to fix this.

I am trying to find a way how to run DiskWarrior.

I am thinking whether not to try to install OS X on flash disk and then to try to start DiskWarrior from there.

Also found iPortable Snow OSx86 10.6.2 Bootable USB image [intel SSE2/SSE3].

Do you think that such old OS version would be possible to boot and use on zenbook?

Also thinking if not to try resize some partition and make some space on second SSD, where Windows is installed and to try to install and run Mac OS X 10.8.3 with DiskWarrior from there? Are there any restrictions or requirements about partition, please? Eg. does not Mac OS X need to be installed on the first partition?

Any other opinions how to fix corrupted partition, please?

I have 10.7.5 on other PC see details in signature below, thinking if it can be used for something?

10.6.2 doesn't even support Sandy Bridge...

If you really want SL, you will need to modify 10.6.8 kernel so it supports Ivy Bridge. You also won't have QE/CI enabled for the Intel HD 4000.

If you want anything relatively new, I suggest using 10.7.5 (but be warned, Lion is not as polished as ML or Mav).

10.9 GM is out. Time to download and start attempting to install it. I shall post my progress.

Adi

It's ridiculously easy now to create a USB installer. Use myHack and use a patched DSDT.aml.

Most notable thing to do is:

- Disable USB 3.0 in the bios

- Make sure that you aren't use ANY npci=0xXXXX flags.

- Boot with verbose (-v)

• Like 1

Finally whole day work. And yesterday. To find a way.

Installed OS X 10.8.3 on USB flash disk. Really very slow. But it worked.

From there I started DiskWarrior. Which helped a lot.

DiskWarrior fixed all the issues which Disk Utility reported and which Disk Utility was not able to resolve, asking me to format the partition and to start again instead.

I think that Disk Utility should be more powerful from user point of view.

I am happy that it worked. I will do more tests.

And I will disable write access from windows to os x partition. It is bad what Windows can somehow automatically do with partition.

Thank you for support advices and suggestions.

Stop. Don't even ask about getting the Intel card working. It's been discussed too many times before, the answer is no.

The sleep issue is related to SSDT. Do you mind if I can take a look at your ioreg dump? I want to see if the power management related kexts are being loaded.

10.6.2 doesn't even support Sandy Bridge...

If you really want SL, you will need to modify 10.6.8 kernel so it supports Ivy Bridge. You also won't have QE/CI enabled for the Intel HD 4000.

If you want anything relatively new, I suggest using 10.7.5 (but be warned, Lion is not as polished as ML or Mav).

Here is an updated DSDT including Fn F2 and Lid Sleep (see 68x repo for more info)

* DSDT UX31A Bios 219

* Disassembly of iASLWevC8J.aml, October 04 2013

* Inserted MCHC and Inserted SMBus

* Wifi/BT Fn F2 _Q0B

* Lid sleep fix Fn+F7 with RPUN/SPUN _Q10 instead of RPIN/SPIN

EDIT : see post              #655             for a more complete version (October 12th 2013).

• Like 1

Is anybody using recent Clover, Clover_v2k_r2184?

Clover v2k has changed Config.plist structure a little bit.

On page 32 of this thread, you can find a (DDST, SSDT and) Config.plist example that should help you get started.

Please post your changes if you found a way to optimise it.

It's ridiculously easy now to create a USB installer. Use myHack and use a patched DSDT.aml.

- Boot with verbose (-v)

Yeah, so I did that but i'm stuck on with an eternal beachball that never goes away.

Can't get further that that no matter what I try..

Any hints are welcome :)

Adi

Here are more observations in my attempt to install 10.9 GM.

- Even though my 219 BIOS is patched, removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext causes KP in AICPUPM.. If I used the AICPUPM from the first page of this thread, the KP goes away. I was under the impression that using patched BIOS prevents KP when using original AICPUPM... Either this is no longer valid with 10.9 or i'm missing something else.

- I literally had to use a cocktail of extensions present in the first post of this thread to get the OS X installer to start up. I then managed to install OS X but I believe i made the mistake of telling MYHACK to use the /Extra folder on the USB key for the HD installation of OS X. Because of this, I can only boot the installed OS X with the -X switch otherwise, it will boot up and I will be stuck with a grey backround screen

68x or anyone who has managed to install 10.9, can you give me a list of extensions that you used to start the installer and then to boot up 10.9 ?

Thx,

Adi

Here are more observations in my attempt to install 10.9 GM.

- Even though my 219 BIOS is patched, removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext causes KP in AICPUPM.. If I used the AICPUPM from the first page of this thread, the KP goes away. I was under the impression that using patched BIOS prevents KP when using original AICPUPM... Either this is no longer valid with 10.9 or i'm missing something else.

- I literally had to use a cocktail of extensions present in the first post of this thread to get the OS X installer to start up. I then managed to install OS X but I believe i made the mistake of telling MYHACK to use the /Extra folder on the USB key for the HD installation of OS X. Because of this, I can only boot the installed OS X with the -X switch otherwise, it will boot up and I will be stuck with a grey backround screen

68x or anyone who has managed to install 10.9, can you give me a list of extensions that you used to start the installer and then to boot up 10.9 ?

Thx,

Adi

What are you using to patch the BIOS?

Already posted:

- Boot with verbose (-v)

The steps are the same for 10.9.

What are you using to patch the BIOS?

Already posted:

The steps are the same for 10.9.

I used PMPatch over here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/285444-pmpatch-uefi-patching-utility/

I posted the flashing method earlier. I don't understand how come I still need AICPUPM after having the flashed patched BIOS..

As for the steps, i followed them but I'm not getting very far after that. I can't boot into the OS X installer with -V or with anything for that matter.

I only managed to boot in the installer by using the kexts on the first post of this thread, hence why I think that I must be missing something.. Do you have a list of your current good working and needed kexts for 10.9 ?

Thx for your input,

Adi