ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Sound with VoodooHDA 2.7.3 from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] works great.

After installation go in SystemPreference and choose VoodooHDA

Change iMix slider to max for Speakers and headphones.

Then go into Sound. You can select Speakers for alerts and headphones for sound (e.g. music/videos)

Sound with VoodooHDA 2.7.3 from [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] works great.

After installation go in SystemPreference and choose VoodooHDA

Change iMix slider to max for Speakers and headphones.

Then go into Sound. You can select Speakers for alerts and headphones for sound (e.g. music/videos)

Thanx! That helps!

- GFX0 -> IGPU for supposedly better HD4000 detection

It won't net you better detection but will allow AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext to load and attach itself to your HD 4000.

• SPIN and RPIN names seem to have be left cohabiting with SPUN and RPUN, may be for a good reason ?

When I originally fixed the lid sleep and Fn+F7 on my N55SL, I didn't look at ASUS' original SPIN and RPIN methods in the DSDTs for their older laptops closely enough and copied values that were correct for that series for ASUS laptops, but not the Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge series of ASUS' laptops. SPUN only worked if I called the original SPIN afterwards or my screen would go off if I pressed Fn+F7 but wouldn't come back on again. Just to be careful, I had RPUN call the original RPIN too. This worked fine on my laptop, a Sandy Bridge one, but obviously was not correct since I needed to call the original methods. I didn't really care, though, as it was working nevertheless and was much better than what I had been doing before: downgrading AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

For the Zenbook, the same trick didn't work. After a long while, looking at the old DSDTs again, I realised my mistake and attempted to fix it; 68x tested with his Zenbook and it worked.

In short: you can replace RPIN with the contents of RPUN and SPIN with the contents of SPUN if you want since the original methods aren't needed anymore - it's a remnant of my first attempt when the original methods were needed. I still kept them with the second version though because:

As for myself, I don't even use the new-old RPUN and SPUN methods anymore, and keep the original RPIN and SPIN methods that came with my laptop, as Apple fixed whatever bug in AppleACPIPlatform was blocking the original RPIN and SPIN methods in Mavericks.

• Like 1

Elan : two finger scroll

ihave one last issue. Elan v 2.8 driver two finger scroll don't work.

Zoom with two fingers work correctly.

Is any idea to fix this ?

I remember that you have to open System Preferences, Select TrackPad and change slide positions a little. You then should get two finger scroll.

Elan : two finger scroll

I remember that you have to open System Preferences, Select TrackPad and change slide positions a little. You then should get two finger scroll.

Problem seems to occur for all settings (two finger click, two finger scroll, dragging,...): After installing new kext, setting are only active after klicking (enable/disable = changing) every single one in System Preferences.

Zenbook Update to 10.8.5

I succeeded updating to 10.8.5 (combo update).

At first I encountered an error during the update. I updated GenericUSBXHCI.kext using Zentih432 lastest version 1.2.5 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/

I backed up Extensions from version 10.8.4.

After that I ran the update again : success.

Before reboot Install the following kext to avoid Kernel Panick

AppleAHCIPort.kext (version 2.5.2)

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (version 1.7)

IOACPIFamily.kext (version 1.4)

IOPCIFamily.kext (version 2.7.3)

I also renamed Bluetooth kexts to avoid problems since I have an Atheros Wifi card.

With these kext in place, I rebooted the system : a working 10.8.5 :)  

Positive notes :
IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.8.5 detected HD4000 Panther controller.
GenericUSBXHCI.kext detects USB port as 3.0 in System report.

No yet working : 
FakeSMC 5.1.3 works and HWMonitors shows CPU speed : no speedstep at the moment.
I don't have sleep working at the moment, keyboard stays on  :( .I had that problem before which I solved by install an older version of both GenericUSBXHCI and IOSUBFamily. I don't know the best solution at the moment. I have tried -gux_defer_usb2 and also -gux_no_idle but it did not help.

Zenbook Update to 10.8.5

At first I encountered an error during the update. I updated GenericUSBXHCI.kext using Zentih432 lastest version 1.2.5 

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/286860-genericusbxhci-usb-30-driver-for-os-x-with-source/

I also renamed Bluetooth kexts to avoid problems since I have an Atheros Wifi card.

Note : IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.8.5 detected HD4000 Panther controller.
FakeSMC 5.1.3 works and HWMonitors shows working turbo and speedstep.

I don't have sleep working at the moment, keyboard stays on  :( .I had that problem before which I solved by install an older version of both GenericUSBXHCI and IOSUBFamily. I don't know the best solution at the moment. I have tried -gux_defer_usb2 but it did not help.

You need the AsusFnKeys, it is found on Osxlaitude (enables Fn keys and controls keyboard backlight). Also, try to avoid using kexts from a previous version of OSX. I highly recommend to use the newer ACPI kext.

From 10.8.5 Thread:

Some users that are replacing AppleACPIPlatform.kext & IOPCIFamily.kext in order to have working hack, will have problem booting after 10.8.5 update (still waiting for root device). Situation is similar to this one I explained in Mavericks thread http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/290371-no-hard-drives/

If you boot in verbose mode you'll see that problem comes from AppleAHCIPort.kext (failed to load), so you'll have to roll back that kext too.

Those are the kext I had to roll back to, from 10.8.4.

Any suggestions on how to use latest 10.8.5 ones ?

Sleep OR speedstep ?

With a generated SSDT.aml as 68x suggested, I got speedstep working.

I have then changed the following to get sleep :

IOUSBFamily, GenericUSBUHCX and USBMassStorageClass

It seems that I need the three (rollback) together to get sleep working. However when I do, I loose speedstep.

I am missing something here. Does anyone know how to get the right combination ?

Sleep OR speedstep ?

With a generated SSDT.aml as 68x suggested, I got speedstep working.

I have then changed the following to get sleep :

IOUSBFamily, GenericUSBUHCX and USBMassStorageClass

It seems that I need the three (rollback) together to get sleep working. However when I do, I loose speedstep.

I am missing something here. Does anyone know how to get the right combination ?

I'm still on 10.8.3. But also had to roll back the three.

And ivybridge speedstep is working with the FakeSMC version of Rehabman: https://github.com/RehabMan (https://code.google.com/p/os-x-fake-smc-kozlek/downloads/list)

(Also installed his ACPIBatteryDriver)

(Using Clover with ivybridge settings in config.plist)

• Like 1

Hi All!

How can i fix no sound in headphones ?

UX32VD.

Thanx!

In attachment is picture of my AR5B195 WiFi card and modification.

All works like a sharm! 

Also i have use tape, like seen in youtube video.

Great mod, tried and work like a charm. Thanks!

IOUSBFamilyRollback for 10.8 1.0

For those who are having trouble enabling USB ports on a ML Install.

These files enable USB2.0 functions, not USB 3.0.

Installation:

- Remove IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass from your S/L/E folder.

-Don't Reboot.

-Copy IOUSBFamily.kext and IOUSBMassStorageClass to your Desktop folder.

(make sure you don't have any other kexts on your desktop)

-Run #####.

Thank you SeppDepp for your advice

Here is a link for the kexts I found : http://www.osx86.net/files/download/435-iousbfamilyrollback-for-10-8/

It's seems that the choice will now be between (speedStep + USB 3.0 + No sleep) or (speedStep + USB 2.0 + Sleep)

EDIT 21/09/2013 : Still no sleep with SpeedStep. It's one or the other. Even with older kext 

Zenbook Update to 10.8.5

Positive notes :
IOUSBFamily.kext from 10.8.5 detected HD4000 Panther controller.

No yet working : 
FakeSMC 5.1.3 works and HWMonitors shows CPU speed : no speedstep at the moment.
I don't have sleep working at the moment, keyboard stays on  :( .I had that problem before which I solved by install an older version of both GenericUSBXHCI and IOSUBFamily. I don't know the best solution at the moment. I have tried -gux_defer_usb2 and also -gux_no_idle but it did not help.

I also updated to 10.8.5 . But did the steps afterwards after I observed it did not boot.

Did the backup of kexts, so I could try to play with it to get it work.

What I had to do to get it work after update?

Had to delete:

GeForce.kext

IOBluetoothFamily.kext

Installed/Replaced:

ACPIBatteryManager.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (1.40)

AppleAHCIPort.kext (2.6.6)

IOBluetoothFamily.kext (4.0.5)

IOPCIFamily.kext (2.7.3)

Also used

AppleHDA.kext (2.3.7)

and

IOAudioFamily.kext (1.8.9)

To get audio to work. Audio somehow did not work immediately. I had to play with it to find some combination which works for me.

Sleep works for me now! In this update. Even I did not change DSDT at all as was suggested for me previously (since I have just 4GB ram installed in comparison with 68x from which I use DSDT). It did not somehow worked for me with 10.8.3 mac os x.

I am observing this messages in the console. Any advice for further improvement to resolve it?

9/19/13 9:10:56.347 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.347 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.348 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssSpiController.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

9/19/13 9:10:56.349 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.349 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

9/19/13 9:10:56.350 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.351 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

9/19/13 9:10:56.362 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.363 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.363 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleHSSPISupport.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

9/19/13 9:10:56.365 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.365 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.366 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleHSSPIHIDDriver.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

9/19/13 9:10:56.531 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.531 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.534 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.534 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.535 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.536 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

Guys, I was never able to operate  SpeedStep with smbios.plist MacBookAir but only with MacBookPro 8,1 (Sandybridge) after updating to 10.8.5 does not work anymore, to make it re-work I had to put the kext IOPlatformPluginFamily of 10.8 .4, but always with MacBookPro 8,1.

As you can see in the signature, I have the version of the UX32VD with core i5 and others with my same cpu use MBA 5.2.

I followed all the suggestions in the forum and followed the guide to generate the script SSDT, although the procedure is successful  I've speedstep working only with MBP 8.1 and 10.8.4 kext mentioned earlier.

Another problem that I could not solve (and is the most annoying) is that of the black screen on boot, sometimes the PC starts perfectly others have black screen. I've tried everything, bios settings, various flags in the o.r.g., efistring, changes dsdt, the guide on the first page, but nothing has completely solved my problem.

Any advice is welcome, :)  thank you all. 

I also updated to 10.8.5 . But did the steps afterwards after I observed it did not boot.

Did the backup of kexts, so I could try to play with it to get it work.

What I had to do to get it work after update?

Had to delete:

GeForce.kext

IOBluetoothFamily.kext

Installed/Replaced:

ACPIBatteryManager.kext

AppleACPIPlatform.kext (1.40)

AppleAHCIPort.kext (2.6.6)

IOBluetoothFamily.kext (4.0.5)

IOPCIFamily.kext (2.7.3)

Also used

AppleHDA.kext (2.3.7)

and

IOAudioFamily.kext (1.8.9)

To get audio to work. Audio somehow did not work immediately. I had to play with it to find some combination which works for me.

Sleep works for me now! In this update. Even I did not change DSDT at all as was suggested for me previously (since I have just 4GB ram installed in comparison with 68x from which I use DSDT). It did not somehow worked for me with 10.8.3 mac os x.

I am observing this messages in the console. Any advice for further improvement to resolve it?

9/19/13 9:10:56.347 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.347 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.348 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssSpiController.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

9/19/13 9:10:56.349 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.349 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

9/19/13 9:10:56.350 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.351 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

9/19/13 9:10:56.362 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.363 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.363 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleHSSPISupport.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

9/19/13 9:10:56.365 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.365 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.366 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleHSSPIHIDDriver.kext is missing dependencies (including anyway; dependencies may be available from elsewhere)

9/19/13 9:10:56.531 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.531 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.534 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.534 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.535 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

9/19/13 9:10:56.536 PM com.apple.kextcache[387]: AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext - no compatible dependency found for com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily.

STOP.

Do not use the old ACPI kext from SL. Try to find version 1.7 of the ACPI kext (get the one from 10.8.4) and use Rehabman's battery kext.

Most, if not all, of your issues will be fixed.

I am using AppleACPIPlatform.kext version 1.7 in the text above there was wrongly written 1.4 version.

Also I am using latest version of Rehabman battery kext (version 1.4 RehabMan-Battery-2013-0918) from here https://code.google.com/p/os-x-acpi-battery-driver/downloads/list .

So I am already using what you described.

With this error messages as written above in the console are displayed.

STOP.

Do not use the old ACPI kext from SL. Try to find version 1.7 of the ACPI kext (get the one from 10.8.4) and use Rehabman's battery kext.

Most, if not all, of your issues will be fixed.

I just tested Zenbook UX32VD in Linux Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. And there seems to be Intel Wifi card working perfectly! I simply surfed Internet. See the attached screenshot. Would not be possible to take the Linux Intel Wifi card driver source codes, if there are available and to port the Intel Wifi card driver to OSX86?

post-51549-0-37457700-1379664460_thumb.png

The error messages below prevented me to run any PKG installer (HWSensors.pkg) to finish successfully.

I had to resolve the errors first.

I resolved the errors below by deleting folowing kexts and rebuilding cache then:

AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext

AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext

AppleIntelLpssSpiController.kext

AppleHSSPIHIDDriver.kext

AppleHSSPISupport.kext

Do you think it was right solution to resolve thoose errors?

10.8.5 Update

Pavn,

It seems that your errors are linked to IOPCIFamily.kext (com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily)

Instead of deleting kexts, you may be better of copying older kexts matching your IOPCIFamily.kext version (e.g. OS X 10.8.0).

Better try matching 10.8.4. It should work with your configuration (UX32VD)

When I updated to 10.8.5 I had the following kexts versions :

version 2.7.3 from OsX 10.8.4      ->    OK

version 2.8 from OsX 10.8.5           ->   had to roll back to the the above version

---------------------------------------------------------

Looking for help for 10.9 install

I am trying to install 10.9  (DP4).

At first, I only used FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement  (Clover version 2082).

I could not get very far during boot,

I then applied the same approach I used for 10.8.5 : kexts rollback for ACPI/PCI/IOUSB with 10.8.4 ones.

I can now boot all the way up to the graphic interface with a colored spinning wheels in the top left corner.

I am stuck at :

init

probe

start

Tried InjectIntel (graphicInjection) Yes and No. Didn't help. I read about DSDT edits for 10.9 but I hope that can wait after a first install.

Any suggestions ?

Yes, I use IOPCIFamily.kext version 2.7.3 instead of 2.8 from Mac OS X 10.8.5.

But I had to delete the kexts to be able to remove errors visible from Console app.

The errors were not visible during the boot. Only from the Console app.

The errors prevented me to be able to install any PKG successfully.

After resolving the errors by removing:

AppleIntelLpssDmac.kext

AppleIntelLpssGspi.kext

AppleIntelLpssSpiController.kext

AppleHSSPIHIDDriver.kext

AppleHSSPISupport.kext

the PKG installer started to work ok.

Could you check your Mac OSX 10.8.5 and look to Console app log, if you have the same errors there?

Did you remove also same kexts?

10.8.5 Update

Pavn,

It seems that your errors are linked to IOPCIFamily.kext (com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily)

Instead of deleting kexts, you may be better of copying older kexts matching your IOPCIFamily.kext version (e.g. OS X 10.8.0).

Better try matching 10.8.4. It should work with your configuration (UX32VD)

When I updated to 10.8.5 I had the following kexts versions :

version 2.7.3 from OsX 10.8.4      ->    OK

version 2.8 from OsX 10.8.5           ->   had to roll back to the the above version

---------------------------------------------------------

I am trying to install 10.9  (DP4).

At first, I only used FakeSMC and NullCPUPowerManagement  (Clover version 2082).

I could not get very far during boot,

I then applied the same approach I used for 10.8.5 : kexts rollback for ACPI/PCI/IOUSB with 10.8.4 ones.

I can now boot all the way up to the graphic interface with a colored spinning wheels in the top left corner.

I am stuck at :

init

probe

start

Tried InjectIntel (graphicInjection) Yes and No. Didn't help. I read about DSDT edits for 10.9 but I hope that can wait after a first install.

Any suggestions ?

I am still stuck at Init Probe Start. :(

I tried injecting HD 4000 Mobile configuration with Clover and also with DSDT.

I removed the injection from DSDT. Clover seems to detect it automatically (0x1660009).

It's seems to be the same for UX31A and UX32VD (according to 68x' DSDT). It seems strange to me since UX32VD has more than one sigle HD 4000.

@pavn

Yes, I have the same messages in Console with 10.8.5 : "No compatible...". I kept those kexts though. :blush:

@Bernie

Thank you, I now have speed step AND sleep. :)

The black screen issues that you have, on LCD screen only, might be linked to 68x' DSDT edit (0x1660009 injection). I wonder if any other configurations would be more appropriate.

If you remove just this part from your DSDT, Clover might do a better job identifying your configuration.

• Like 1

I am still stuck at Init Probe Start. :(

I tried injecting HD 4000 Mobile configuration with Clover and also with DSDT.

I removed the injection from DSDT. Clover seems to detect it automatically (0x1660009).

It's seems to be the same for UX31A and UX32VD (according to 68x' DSDT). It seems strange to me since UX32VD has more than one sigle HD 4000.

@pavn

Yes, I have the same messages in Console with 10.8.5 : "No compatible...". I kept those kexts though. :blush:

@Bernie

Thank you, I now have speed step AND sleep. :)

The black screen issues that you have, on LCD screen only, might be linked to 68x' DSDT edit (0x1660009 injection). I wonder if any other configurations would be more appropriate.

If you remove just this part from your DSDT, Clover might do a better job identifying your configuration.

Disable USB 3.0 (in your BIOS, this is one of the common mistakes I get when I try to install OSX), and make sure that you don't have npci=0x3000 as boot flag.

• Like 1