ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

Glad I could help you. How did you boot your Windows install stick? Straight from Bios or via Clover?

I had no luck booting any Windows install stick via Clover, but I'm pretty sure that in order to install Windows on a GPT Disk you have to boot it in UEFI mode..

Actually, I installed Windows before OS X. I think Window installer stick has to boot Straight from BIOS and it doesn't matter CSM or UEFI mode.

Anyway, how can you make Fn key and audio work? I followed Thomas2111 for the Fn key but it doesn't work at all. Oh and touchpad multitouch, I can get two fingers scroll and secondary click. But 3 & 4 fingers doesn't work at all with Elan Touchpad Driver v4.

Actually, I installed Windows before OS X. I think Window installer stick has to boot Straight from BIOS and it doesn't matter CSM or UEFI mode.

Anyway, how can you make Fn key and audio work? I followed Thomas2111 for the Fn key but it doesn't work at all. Oh and touchpad multitouch, I can get two fingers scroll and secondary click. But 3 & 4 fingers doesn't work at all with Elan Touchpad Driver v4.

I did nothing but the described steps. I used the AsusNBWMI.kext, and the DSDT from Thomas2111 (both attached) to get Fn keys working, audio also worked immediately after installing the kexts. Maybe some DSDT tweaks for the UX32A?

So you partitioned your disk with GPT before (probably due to your ubuntu system), then did the windows install? I see, I'll try that..

phelics12 and 12rithy, I think I get your drift there. Erasing bootloaders is a very foolish move after some thoughts.

This unfinished chameleon install is truly not up-to-par. I will see how fast it goes compared to a real retina MacBookPro after the full installation tomorrow.

So for this install, INTEL HD4000 is enabled and Nvidia GT620 becomes a "sleeping beauty"?

I did nothing but the described steps. I used the AsusNBWMI.kext, and the DSDT from Thomas2111 (both attached) to get Fn keys working, audio also worked immediately after installing the kexts. Maybe some DSDT tweaks for the UX32A?

So you partitioned your disk with GPT before (probably due to your ubuntu system), then did the windows install? I see, I'll try that..

That's because different system. I patched my DSDT by compare diff with Thomas2111's DSDT. Now I can get Fn keys to work but audio still suck.

EDIT: I patched my DSDT following the DSDT of nhart12 and now it work with the speaker but headphone doesn't work :D

phelics12 and 12rithy, I think I get your drift there. Erasing bootloaders is a very foolish move after some thoughts.

This unfinished chameleon install is truly not up-to-par. I will see how fast it goes compared to a real retina MacBookPro after the full installation tomorrow.

So for this install, INTEL HD4000 is enabled and Nvidia GT620 becomes a "sleeping beauty"?

I did try not to format the partition before but it didn't work. So I backup old EFI folder then reformat the drive. Restore EFI back, everything boot and I don't get anything wrong.

Another confirmed customer with phelics12's KEXTs and clover configuration files, thumbs up for the pioneers who have done the legwork for all of us.

What I have did differently from phelics12's instructions is,

1) I installed Clover version 1050 on a USB 3.0 drive. Move the phelics12's EFI configurations files to replace the ones on the drive.

2) Turn off CSM in BIOS Setup. Test booting OS X from Clover USB drive.

3) Once there is success in booting, I transferred the files from Clover USB drive to the EFI partition on my internal SSD.

4) Enter the boot entry \EFI\BOOT\BOOT64X.efi for the EFI partition. Remove Clover USB drive.

5) Reboot. Voila!

So I did not have to reformat or do any extra hard work. On my SSD, the GPT partition goes like this,

1st partition - 120 MB Clover EFI bootloader

2nd partition - 250MB GRUB EFI bootloader

3rd partition - 10GB Ubuntu Root

4th partition - 10GB Ubuntu Home

5th partition - 60GB Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2

My comments, OS X boots blinding fast. My jaws dropped, I just could not comprehend the speed of the thing. It's a whole multitude new league in comparison to a retina MacBookPro. Apple logo screen lasts one second. Sound works alright. Screen is nice and bright. I will be placing Mac apps on external USB 3.0 drives to test the long term reliability of the USB Kext.

My gratitude to all of you. BTW, my Mac's spec is as follows,

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Zenbook-UX32VD-DB71-13-3-Inch-Ultrabook/dp/B00863L2MS

Upgraded to 10GB RAM and Plextor M5P 128GB SSD.

Maybe thinking of going back to Windows, and then running a VM for Mac OS.

http://www.sysprobs.com/easily-run-mac-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-retail-on-pc-with-vmware-image/comment-page-3#comment-27590

Thoughts?

Most of my work related stuff is PC related, and I guess the next computer I buy will be a MacBook, so I can wait to run OS X as my daily driver. Just tired of not having USB 3.0, consistent sleep, etc.

http://www.sysprobs....3#comment-27590

Thoughts?

Most of my work related stuff is PC related, and I guess the next computer I buy will be a MacBook, so I can wait to run OS X as my daily driver. Just tired of not having USB 3.0, consistent sleep, etc.

I run OSX Mountain Lion natively on my PC and I run it on a VM on my laptop. The VM is okay for the most part but obviously, it does not come close to running natively. There's just minor quirks that drive me nuts like how the LaunchPad causes it to hang for a minute on the VM. Also, another thing to note is USB3.0 devices doesn't work on the VM.

I really want to run OSX ML natively on my UX32VD. I have an OCZ Vertex 4 512GB and it's not even 25% utilized, but I'm waiting for all the kinks to be worked out. Like you said: USB3, sleep, etc.

http://www.sysprobs....3#comment-27590

Thoughts?

I've used this blog (link) to get Mountain Lion working nicely with VMWare, so far this seems to run noticeably faster than a native install (you can find my benchmarks on previous pages of native vs vmware) with the only downside that the graphics driver is only average, animations aren't that fluid, but other than that it runs really smooth.

And if you have an Apple Magic Mouse and/or Wireless Keyboard you connect them directly via bluetooth in the VMWare.

I aswell would love to run ML natively on my UX32VD, but right now for me the VMWare install still seems the better option due to performance (CPU only works at maximum 50% of its capacity it seems) and sleep issues on the native install.

• Like 1

What is the difference to the touchpad driver we use right now? (E.g. There is two finger scrolling.)

It's coming out of beta with a lot of bug fixes and new features.

Edit:

I've gotten to sleep to work perfectly with Clover.

I've used this blog (link) to get Mountain Lion working nicely with VMWare, so far this seems to run noticeably faster than a native install (you can find my benchmarks on previous pages of native vs vmware) with the only downside that the graphics driver is only average, animations aren't that fluid, but other than that it runs really smooth.

And if you have an Apple Magic Mouse and/or Wireless Keyboard you connect them directly via bluetooth in the VMWare.

I aswell would love to run ML natively on my UX32VD, but right now for me the VMWare install still seems the better option due to performance (CPU only works at maximum 50% of its capacity it seems) and sleep issues on the native install.

Awesome. On top of that, I bet having both graphics cards working is nice? I'd just like it to not have sleep issues, connection issues, using my BT4.0, wireless (the wireless cards I've used (both broadcom and atheros) have performed less thatn desirably).

Awesome. On top of that, I bet having both graphics cards working is nice? I'd just like it to not have sleep issues, connection issues, using my BT4.0, wireless (the wireless cards I've used (both broadcom and atheros) have performed less thatn desirably).

Sleep is fixed, look at the post above. If you are using Clover, you should have no problems.

Edit:

Also use KextWizard to repair permissions.

Okay the new driver/kext (2.1) works fine. (But still not perfect.)

This additional tool "smooth scroll" is kind of jumpy. The other one - mouse accelerator - is better to get a faster trackpad movement.

I found increasing the DPI in the Info.plist within the kext allows for better mouse movement tracking. I set mine to 1600.

I found increasing the DPI in the Info.plist within the kext allows for better mouse movement tracking. I set mine to 1600.

Okay.. increasing from default 1400 to 1600 is a little bit better. But clicking with smooth mouse enabled is still jumpy. Mouse accelerator is more reliable but has no acceleration. :(

@68x: What are your settings?

Edited by SeppDepp

Okay.. increasing from default 1400 to 1600 is a little bit better. But clicking with smooth mouse enabled is still jumpy. Mouse accelerator is more reliable but has no acceleration. :(

@68x: What are your settings?

Mine is at 1600, but I do not use Mouse Accelerator. Try setting it to the max (which is 2400), try reducing it from there.

Mine is at 1600, but I do not use Mouse Accelerator. Try setting it to the max (which is 2400), try reducing it from there.

Okay... tried some different settings. 2400 DPI is not very fast without these tools.

Reducing the DPI (800) and using SmoothMouse with Medium Speed and OS X acceleration seams to be quite good. Fast and not jumpy on clicks.

Hi.

I have Asus ux32vd

Core i7 4gb RAM, Geforce 620

To install LM in my laptop I should only use LM 10.8 or I can use LM 10.8.2 ?

I need only mac on my HDD. without any otners OS

Edited by Lejenk
Removed references