• Please log in to reply
943 replies to this topic

pippo

pippo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

maybe the smbios or x 32 mode div by two the perfs, , i'm trying to get chameleon in 64b

Thomas, as far as I know, all bootloaders have one problem: they all let the OS recognize only 3.5GB of RAM. System Profiler tells you that you have 6GB (or more), but if you look at Activity Monitor (or "top" from the shell) you will see that the free RAM is less than what should be.

To my knowledge, the only bootloader that solves this, is Clover.

If Clover is an alternative for you, please consider using it.
I run a 64bit kernel on 10GB of RAM with Clover, with no problems.

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
ok, wel'll change chameleon to clover in my how to
could you explain how to get a great clover on hdd , using the /etra folder and the kexts i uploaded? we'll do a full how to with clover
it need to be able to boot windows 8 too

pippo

pippo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

ok, wel'll change chameleon to clover in my how to
could you explain how to get a great clover on hdd , using the /etra folder and the kexts i uploaded? we'll do a full how to with clover
it need to be able to boot windows 8 too

INSTALLATION TUTORIAL ML 10.8 on Zenbook UX32VD (works for other zenbooks too)

NOTE: I used CLOVER bootloader as it was the only one that fixed a a bug that other bootloaders (like Chameleon) have in recognizing only 3.5GB of RAM rather than 10GB like I have. If you already installed ML and use Chameleon check your "Activity Monitor" or "top" from the shell: there are good chances that your FREE RAM is less than it should be. The only way I know to fix this, is to use CLOVER.
NOTE: one SMBIOS that works well is "MacBookPro9,2"
Please read the full tutorial before attempting to install.

=== PREREQUISITES
OSX ML 10.8 Installation disk on USB-key created with , download here: URL Removed
thanks to 68x for this!

=== BEGINNING
1) Insert your USB-key and boot up (without any flags)
2) Choose your disk layout: GUID/GPT or MBR
Be careful with the choice. Formatting with a GUID/GPT-layout will create an EFI partition on your disk, and it will require that you use UEFI-boot with your BIOS and a UEFI compliant bootloader. That is, your BIOS won't see the disk anymore and will need a direct "pointer" to understand where the bootloader resides in order to boot your system. In other words, if you choose GPT, you need to run Clover bootloader (there are other bootloaders like Chameleon and such, but Clover is more advanced and you'll see it's the only one that works here).
On the other hand, if you choose an MBR-layout, your BIOS will see the partition and will know where the bootloader resides. That doesn't mean you can't run a UEFI-compliant bootloader: Clover will give you the possibility to be installed in MBR-mode (I didn't test this, but I will explain how it works below).

=== IF YOU CHOSE GPT (the one I chose)
1) Format with GPT and choose as many partitions as the number of operating systems you plan to run: if you plan to install only ML, choose 1 partition. If you plan to have Windows7 too, choose 2 partitions. etc.
2) Go back to the installer and Install OSX, then reboot
3) Boot your newly installed OSX using -x (safe mode), it will start with low resolution graphics
4) Open Terminal and type: nvram -x -p > /nvram.plist
5) Close the Terminal
6) Using another computer download CLOVER_v2_r1000 PKG installer, put it on a USB, plug the USB into the UX32VD, double-click on the PKG installer (if your USB doesn't work, you have to load the USB kexts manually or reboot without -x, transfer the installer to your disk, then reboot and boot your OSX install with -x)
7) Choose "UEFI boot (Uefi motherboards)" and check all the drivers inside the checkboxes "Drivers32", "Drivers64", "Drivers64UEFI" (follow the instructions inside Clover installer, re-format your EFI partition exactly as the installer says using FAT32). Instructions inside Clover installer will say:
----# diskutil list
----# sudo newfs_msdos -v Fat32 -F 32 /dev/disk0s1
After you complete the Clover installation, Clover will be installed in the efi partition inside the GPT disk but as we said the BIOS won't be aware of it because Clover is installed in "UEFI-boot only" mode: this mode of installation requires that you give the BIOS a pointer to boot Clover directly. We'll fix this in the next steps (if you had booted into your OSX with -x, you'll have to reboot and boot it up without -x to perform these steps):

=== FIXING CLOVER DRIVERS
8) Open Terminal and type:
mkdir -p /mnt
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /mnt
cd /mnt/EFI/drivers64UEFI
ls -la
(the output should give you this):

-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 37888 Nov 24 09:29 CsmVideoDxe-64.efi
-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 10848 Nov 24 09:29 FSInject-64.efi
-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 23616 Jan 10 2009 HFSPlus64.efi
-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 134880 Nov 15 2010 NTFS64.efi
-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 33856 Nov 24 09:29 OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi
-rwxrwxrwx 1 _unknown _unknown 4992 Nov 24 09:29 OsxFatBinaryDrv-64.efi

If you have more than these files, delete them or move them to another directory (up one level). If you are missing any files, get them from the attached Zipfile named "drivers64UEFI.zip" and copy them into /mnt/EFI/drivers64UEFI (you can do it from the Finder - the FAT32/EFI partition will appear in the Finder as a disk).

9) Make also sure that the file /mnt/EFI/BOOT/CLOVER/BOOTX64.efi is there. Do it from the Finder (again, the partition will appear in the Finder as a disk). You need this for the next section.
If the file is not there, just copy it from CLOVERX64.efi - From the Terminal: cp /mnt/EFI/BOOT/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi /mnt/EFI/BOOT/CLOVER/BOOTX64.efi

10) After you made sure you have the necessary drivers for a UEFI boot with Clover, umount your EFI partition:
umount /mnt

11) Make sure you delete your kext cache before rebooting:
rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches

=== CONFIGURING CLOVER (general config & SMBIOS config)
Before you can reboot with Clover, you need to fix the config a bit:
1) Mount your efi partition (if it's not already mounted):
mkdir /mnt
2) Download on your Desktop my clover config that I am attaching here as clover.txt and then do:
mv ~/Desktop/clover.txt /mnt/EFI/config.plist
3) Download on your Desktop my Clover-SMBIOS config that I am attaching here as smbios.txt
4) Create Clover's directory structure for the MacBookPro9,2 SMBIOS:
mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/ACPI
mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/kexts
mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/ROM
cd /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/kexts/
mkdir 10.6
mkdir 10.7
mkdir 10.8
mkdir Other
5) Copy smbios.txt as /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/config.plist
mv ~/Desktop/smbios.txt /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/config.plist
6) Unmount your EFI partition
cd /
umount /mnt

===FiXING YOUR KEXTS before boot
...to be written

=== FIXING CLOVER FOR UEFI-BOOT
Now reboot your computer and press ESC at boot to access the BIOS.
12) Into the BIOS go to Boot, and choose "Add boot option".
13) Fill the Name with: Clover
14) Choose DISK: (choose the iSSD)
15) Fill Path with: \EFI\BOOT\CLOVER\BOOTX64.efi
--- skip to section "POST INSTALLATION STEPS"

=== IF YOU CHOSE MBR (I didn't test this, but in my humble opinion this is the best/safest way to do it)
1) Format with MBR and reserve 1 partition of 209.7MB at the beginning of your disk (format as FAT32, label EFI) - the whole point of having this partition is to emulate the layout of a GPT disk which has an EFI partition. After this partition, create as many partitions as the number of operating systems you plan to run. That is, if you plan to install only ML, your disk will have a total of 2 partitions (EFI + OSX). If you plan to have Windows7 too, your disk will have a total of 3 partitions (EFI + OSX + Win7), etc.
2) Go back to the installer and Install OSX, then reboot
3) Boot your newly installed OSX using -x (safe mode), it will start with low resolution graphics
4) Open Terminal and type: nvram -x -p > /nvram.plist
5) Close the Terminal
6) Using another computer download CLOVER_v2_r1000 PKG installer, put it on a USB, plug the USB into the UX32VD, double-click on the PKG installer (if your USB doesn't work, you have to load the USB kexts manually or reboot without -x, transfer the installer to your disk, then reboot and boot your OSX install with -x)
7) Choose "BIOS MBR boot0 (HFS+Fat32) and check all the drivers in the two checkboxes "Drivers32" & "Drivers64" - (follow the instructions inside Clover installer, re-format your EFI partition exactly as the installer says using FAT32). Instructions inside Clover installer will say something like:
----# diskutil list
----# sudo newfs_msdos -v Fat32 -F 32 /dev/disk0s1
After you complete the Clover installation, Clover will be installed in the MBR disk and its files will be installed in the first FAT32 partition of your disk that you labelled as EFI.
You should ensure that Clover has the necessary drivers to access your partitions, so jump to section "FIXING CLOVER DRIVERS" and proceed down to configure Clover. If you're booting in 64bit you can just copy the drivers from above into the folder /mnt/EFI/drivers64 - if you're booting in 32bit I can't help you and you'll have to look for the drivers yourself.
So reboot your computer and press ESC at boot to access the BIOS and make sure the CSM is enabled (this is BIOS-legacy compatibility mode for your UEFI-bios).

=== POST INSTALLATION STEPS
ATTENTION: If you chose GPT (not sure about MBR) Clover won't see your OS (and thus its partition, to boot it) until you fix the nvram.plist.
1) Boot your new OSX :-)

SIDE NOTE: It's possible to launch an EFI shell from the BIOS of the Zenbook. If you get into the BIOS on the last item of the top-menu there is an option saying Launch EFI Shell (this option was working until you destroyed your Win98 install heh!). You can always launch the EFI shell after booting up Clover (Clover itself has an option for it), but if you wanna fix it in your BIOS too then boot up OSX and do:
mkdir /mnt;
mount_msdos /dev/disk01s1 /mnt (make sure you use the right device: disk0 or disk1)
cp /mnt/EFI/Shell64.efi to /mnt/Shellx64.efi
umount /mnt
NOTE: needless to say you have to make sure that the path to Shellx64.efi is right, and that you have the file "BOOTX64.efi" in the EFI partition (you can mount it from your OSX install after you boot up your new install with -x).
NOTE: Remember that when you boot with -x it doesn't load the USB drivers so if you plan to transfer something from USB key you need to boot without -x.

Enjoy!

PS: WTF is wrong with the forum masking ###### with ####### ???

Attached Files

Edited by Lejenk, 29 March 2013 - 08:09 PM.
Removed references and deleted the URL to unsupported software.

pippo

pippo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
updated with Clover config. I hope it helps.

Peace.

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
thank you ! i'll try all of this soon and report my results !

pippo

pippo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
updated with Clover FS drivers too

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Ux32VD:
for the fn keys here is the dsdt and the kext
all working but f2, f3 & f9 for the moment (soon)
fn + arrows : page up, down, home & end

aditional : fn + space open your music, C previous, P next

Attached Files

• 68x likes this

68x

68x

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
For Thomas2111's FN keys to work, you need to install the kext and use DSDT!

taney

taney

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Do you guys think a tool like this would work in our case: http://www.insanelym...tching-utility/

I've been using a non-DSDT on my desktop (10.8.2) without any issues and EVERYTHING works out of the box:

ASUS Maximus V Gene
I7-3770K
G.SKILL RipJaws X (Blue) 4x8GB DDR3-1866
OCZ PCIe RevoDrive SSD 120GB

The only problem I face is: I can't plug USB 3.0 devices into my USB 2.0 ports and vice-versa.

68x

68x

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Do you guys think a tool like this would work in our case: http://www.insanelym...tching-utility/

I've been using a non-DSDT on my desktop (10.8.2) without any issues and EVERYTHING works out of the box:

ASUS Maximus V Gene
I7-3770K
G.SKILL RipJaws X (Blue) 4x8GB DDR3-1866
OCZ PCIe RevoDrive SSD 120GB

The only problem I face is: I can't plug USB 3.0 devices into my USB 2.0 ports and vice-versa.

I would doubt it. I also wouldn't risk flashing my BIOS with it.

duklaa

duklaa

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

I'm pretty sure you can use my EFI folder without changing DSDT. I would definitely try booting it a couple of times if it crashes. I've noticed that whenever I have a new Clover version or do something different like connect HDMI, change kexts, etc., the first boot will result in a kernel panic and thus I usually try and boot it a couple of times before thinking it's not working. Not sure what you need to move over from your Extras folder on Chameleon to your /S/L/E folder on your HD, but if you have FakeSMC in your /S/L/E folder, you may need to remove any copy that you find in my EFI folder so there is only one copy.

Ok. So I got Clover to work from HDD! Finally :) Thanks for the help.

So now I have some questions:

1. How get my previous DSDT (from Chameleon) into Clover? (Currently I am using your entire EFI folder that you attached to the previous post)?

2. Why do I see three options when I boot: "Boot UEFI from" "Boot OS X from VolumeName" "Boot UEFI from VolumeName" (It seems only the middle one is relevant)?

3. How do I get rid of the boot delay (30 seconds, I think)?

4. Sometimes it keeps booting over and over in a loop and then after 2-3 tries finally manages to boot. Have you experienced this?

5. Where is getting the kernel flags from? I had -s set (under chameleon) and it seems to be using that. I don't think you had -s set for your Clover boot. So I am wondering how and why it's getting the previous flags?

Thanks!

68x

68x

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Ok. So I got Clover to work from HDD! Finally :) Thanks for the help.

So now I have some questions:

1. How get my previous DSDT (from Chameleon) into Clover? (Currently I am using your entire EFI folder that you attached to the previous post)?

2. Why do I see three options when I boot: "Boot UEFI from" "Boot OS X from VolumeName" "Boot UEFI from VolumeName" (It seems only the middle one is relevant)?

3. How do I get rid of the boot delay (30 seconds, I think)?

4. Sometimes it keeps booting over and over in a loop and then after 2-3 tries finally manages to boot. Have you experienced this?

5. Where is getting the kernel flags from? I had -s set (under chameleon) and it seems to be using that. I don't think you had -s set for your Clover boot. So I am wondering how and why it's getting the previous flags?

Thanks!

When you mount the EFI partition do this:
EFI (The Folder not the parition) -> ACPI -> patched

Place the DSDT there.

To make clover detect the changes do this:

=== CONFIGURING CLOVER (general config & SMBIOS config)
Before you can reboot with Clover, you need to fix the config a bit:
1) Mount your efi partition (if it's not already mounted):
mkdir /mnt
2) Download on your Desktop my clover config that I am attaching here as clover.txt and then do:
mv ~/Desktop/clover.txt /mnt/EFI/config.plist
3) Download on your Desktop my Clover-SMBIOS config that I am attaching here as smbios.txt
4) Create Clover's directory structure for the MacBookPro9,2 SMBIOS:
mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/ACPI
mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/kexts
mkdir -p /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/ROM
cd /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/kexts/
mkdir 10.6
mkdir 10.7
mkdir 10.8
mkdir Other
5) Copy smbios.txt as /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/config.plist
mv ~/Desktop/smbios.txt /mnt/EFI/OEM/MacBookPro9,2/config.plist
6) Unmount your EFI partition
cd /
umount /mnt

On a side note, please make sure that your drivers64UEFI folder has ONLY the files that pippo attached!

To change the boot flags, just open up config.plist in the EFI folder.

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Ux32VD:
Here is a dsdt with his kext and all fn keys are working but f9

Changes : added f3, f4

i'm running mac os with clover ! :) i'm searching how to boot my windows 8 too, anyone know?

Attached Files

SeppDepp

SeppDepp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Thank you Thomas and Pippo! Great work.

Got OSX running almost perfectly with a combination of your guides. (Best Hackingtosh since my old T60 ThinkPad:)
Installed on GPT disk and booting via clover.

Some difficulties during installation:
- mounting EFI partition in -x "Save Mode" doesn't work because there is no msdos filesystem support
=> Installed Clover on a usb drive from another computer (with 209,7mb EFI partition on GPT). Boot the usb drive. Access EFI partition on HDD via diskmanager debug mode showing all drives "defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1" -> "Debug Menu". Then reformat as fat32. Copied everything from usb/Efi partition.
- UEFI entry in bios for a default clover installation must be: /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

Interesting stuff: If the dsdt.aml from thomas is not installed in /EFI/ACPI/patched the nvidia graphics card shows up in system report.
Does the nvidia card work with clover? Don't know how to test.

One other thing... this works great for additional display outputs via USB3. Have a >HD display via DVI and a TV via HDMI on a toshiba displaylink device... http://displaylink.o...read.php?t=2299 (But still waiting for the 5.1 sound output support;)

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Some difficulties during installation:
- mounting EFI partition in -x "Save Mode" doesn't work because there is no msdos filesystem support
=> Installed Clover on a usb drive from another computer (with 209,7mb EFI partition on GPT). Boot the usb drive. Access EFI partition on HDD via diskmanager debug mode showing all drives "defaults write com.apple.DiskUtility DUDebugMenuEnabled 1" -> "Debug Menu". Then reformat as fat32. Copied everything from usb/Efi partition.

you just had to delete Geforce.kext from system library extention to boot without -x

SeppDepp

SeppDepp

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

you just had to delete Geforce.kext from system library extention to boot without -x

Didn't work. The bootloader on the usb drive couldn't load the installed osx without -x.

EDIT: It automatically reboots. Maybe other problem. :(

Edited by Lejenk, 29 March 2013 - 03:52 PM.
Removed reference.

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
if you get the hdmi nhart, wwhoow =)

Didn't work. The bootloader on the usb drive couldn't load the installed osx without -x.

i'm sure about that, i done this more 10 times, the firts install can boot only with -x and then, delete geforce. kext, you should can reboot without -x
-> on ux32vd, maybe you have another problem

Removed reference

68x

68x

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Right after you install OSX. To load up your install (use -x). After you boot up, delete /S/L/E/GeForce.kext (nothing else!). You should be able to start up without -x and you should be able to carry on with Clover!

Removed references

taney

taney

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Ux32VD:
Here is a dsdt with his kext and all fn keys are working but f9

Changes : added f3, f4

i'm running mac os with clover ! :) i'm searching how to boot my windows 8 too, anyone know?

Hi Thomas,

Do I need 10.8? I have 10.8.2 from my App Store but I can't get it to boot. Anyone use 10.8.2 from App Store?

Edited by Lejenk, 29 March 2013 - 03:54 PM.
Removed reference.

Thomas2111

Thomas2111

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Did you tryed with the -x flag ?
If not work, i don't know how to
I'm using the 10.8.0 InstallESD.dmg.
10.8.2 update need to be installed before all, else macos won't boot

Edited by Lejenk, 29 March 2013 - 03:55 PM.
Removed reference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy