ASUS Zenbook Prime UX31A-DB51 Ultrabook - fixes, mods, tweaks, etc

nhart12

1,056 posts in this topic

I have been running mountain lion on my asus ux31a for over a month now and I thought I would share my progress.

I am a beginner so these are all things Ive found all over that seem to work on this laptop so I decided to share to save others all the looking/trial and error.

I am by no means a pro at this I have just followed various guides so when I add links to threads where I got the info, make sure to thank them not me.

So far almost everything is working with only one hardware change (swapping the intel centrino wireless/bluetooth for an atheros). Im using a Macbook air SMbios

So far whats working:

I've patched AppleHDA since the alc269 codec info in this laptop differs slightly from other alc269 chips.. It works with an HDEF DSDT patch i found somewhere. Ive attached my DSDt so you can get it there.

Note: For audio to work after sleep you need a patched version of IOAudioFamily. You can get that here: (URL removed)

Update 2:

Thanks to the help from giofrida, the dsdt now is flawless with no compile warnings or errors. Him and I patched the DSDT for certain other fixes.. Just make sure your on 212 bios from asus( its the latest last time Ive checked.)

It seems to sleep/wake with no problems. Ive attached the intelcpupowermanagement kext and the ssdt files that get that working. you just need to have chameleon load the ssdts and generate p/c states.

For HD4000 GPU I have finally enable both HDMI out (With audio!) and mini VGA. I had to edit the AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext which I uploaded. So you will need that kext as and my DSDT to get it working. I had to inject the HD4000 AAPL,ig-platform 0160009 in the DSDT so if you enabled HD4000 some other way that will cause problems. If you are interested in learning more read these threads.

http://www.insanelym...ed/page__st__40

(URL's Removed)

Battery meter/trackpad/keyboard/HW Monitor/USB work with the rest of the kexts Ive attached.

The reason I am using voodoops2controller is only because i was annoyed at the keyboard going into symbols mode when it woke from sleep and the voodoo version seems to not do that.

Update 3:

Thanks to the suggestion from cyf I used a script to generate an SSDT for the i5 3317u. And in order to get the proper states (for me at least) you have use the MB pro 8,1 smbios.

Read cyf's post on page 7 for a link with more details.

To-DO list:

• FIxed: VGA out does not work, HDMI seems buggy
  • FN Keys
  • Fixed: From watching HWMonitor app the processor doesnt seem to use all the available states, it just switches between the 1584Mhz and 792Mhz states so Id like to get it to use more states cause battery life seems to suck.
  • multitouch.. im hopeful for this development thread: http://www.insanelym...ouchpad-driver/
  • So hopefully this thread can hep people with this laptop, and maybe more advanced people than me can help get this laptop working flawlessly with ML

Kexts S-L-E.zipKexts2 S-L-E.zipUX31A-Extra.zip

Edited by Lejenk
Removed URL.
  • Like 3

I have the UX32VD Zenbook, and can't get any life in the touchpad at all.

Tried the above attached UX31A.zip and put the kexts in /Extra/Extensions, double checked they were owned by root:wheel and chmodded to 755. Reboot but nothing.

Didn't get battery meter working either, I don't even know if it's just not reading my kexts at all from this place or I'm doing something wrong or they are just different from UX31 and UX32.. I have Chameleon installed and HD4000 is working, that goes from Boot.plist though.

DSDT untouched.zip

I'm really interested about Hackintosh fully working on a Ultrabook.

Can you attach your DSDT? (to patch it to get working FN Keys and USB). Also, an ioreg can be very helpful.

For USB 3.0 Functionality, try PXHCD.kext.

A patched version (or my attempt at it) of my DSDT as well as all my SSDTs are inside that zip above i attached. I will attach an untouched version of the DSDT though and also an ioreg.. I appreciate this!

I have the UX32VD Zenbook, and can't get any life in the touchpad at all.

Tried the above attached UX31A.zip and put the kexts in /Extra/Extensions, double checked they were owned by root:wheel and chmodded to 755. Reboot but nothing.

Didn't get battery meter working either, I don't even know if it's just not reading my kexts at all from this place or I'm doing something wrong or they are just different from UX31 and UX32.. I have Chameleon installed and HD4000 is working, that goes from Boot.plist though.

I just use Kext Utility to install them all in the System/Library/Extensions. It will backup an existing file so you wont lose anything if your worried about it. Let me know if it works then..

I just use Kext Utility to install them all in the System/Library/Extensions. It will backup an existing file so you wont lose anything if your worried about it. Let me know if it works then..

I tried to manually install them in S/L/E and repair permissions last night and that didn't work. I will try using Kext Utility but I doubt it will magically work, worth a try though.

Update: Ok, tried the Kext Utility and still no touch.

Thanks for the DSDT, i've already fixed it. Now i need an .ioreg. You can get it by downloading IORegistryExplorer and save the file.

Ok sorry I meant to attach that as well.. Here it is thanks again.

ux31a-ioreg.zip

I tried to manually install them in S/L/E and repair permissions last night and that didn't work. I will try using Kext Utility but I doubt it will magically work, worth a try though.

Update: Ok, tried the Kext Utility and still no touch.

I think somehow the AppleACPIPlatform.kext file ended up being hidden inside the folder i uploaded in the first post.. try to unhide that and install..that 'could' get the batter meter working and maybe the trackpad? if not i will try to upload another kext that also worked on my trackpad. but try that first cause i dont really know what im talking about when it comes to this since im a noob.

Ok, try this new DSDT:

• Device (PNLF) to get brightness working

• Changed
device-id
and some values in EHC1, EHC2, XHC1 to recognize them as MacBookAir5,2's devices.

• Added FN Patch to get FN Keys working

• Added PEGP Method to edit values

Try that, then do another ioreg, try sleep, brightness, USB3.0, brightness, FN keys and then, do (in terminal): dmesg > boot.txt

Now attach here ioreg and boot.txt (you can find it in /Users/youruser)

DSDT.aml.zip

I think somehow the AppleACPIPlatform.kext file ended up being hidden inside the folder i uploaded in the first post.. try to unhide that and install..that 'could' get the batter meter working and maybe the trackpad? if not i will try to upload another kext that also worked on my trackpad. but try that first cause i dont really know what im talking about when it comes to this since im a noob.

Hey, progress! I noticed I had audio working, also battery icon. (forgot to tick the box in system settings to display it..)

As for the touchpad it's still dead. Tried to unhide the platform kext and install with kext util but didn't help. Probably missing something?

For touchpad and keyboard use AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext and ApplePS2Controller.kext. You can find them here.

Already had VoodooPS2Controller, which I thought had better support than ApplePS2Controller? Well that didn't work, and neither did this unfortunately.

Ok, try this new DSDT:

• Device (PNLF) to get brightness working

• Changed
device-id
and some values in EHC1, EHC2, XHC1 to recognize them as MacBookAir5,2's devices.

• Added FN Patch to get FN Keys working

• Added PEGP Method to edit values

Try that, then do another ioreg, try sleep, brightness, USB3.0, brightness, FN keys and then, do (in terminal): dmesg > boot.txt

Now attach here ioreg and boot.txt (you can find it in /Users/youruser)

Ok tried that DSDT..

still no function keys.. it sleeps /wakes fine. the brightness slider shows up in settings. USB seems to work fine now thanks.

I attached the second ioreg and the boot.txt

also the processor still only seems to have 2 states while awake

files.zip

Ok, now try this new DSDT. Try if FN Keys are working.

Edit: please, if you can, create another boot.txt but when you are booting not when you wake OS X form hibernation.

Still no fn keys.. except for fn f7 and fn f8 but fn f8 when you bring it back the screen is all messed upp. but i attached a new boot.txt

boot.txt.zip

There are the kext not loaded:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

IOHIDFamily.kext

AppleACPIButtons.kext

AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext

AppleEFIRunTime.kext

AppleUSBXHCI.kext

AppleUSBEHCI.kext

IOAHCIFamily.kext

AppleAHCIPort.kext

VoodooPS2Controller.kext

IOUSBUserClient.kext

AppleUSBHub.kext

AppleEFINVRAM.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorage.kext

AppleUSBComposite.kext

IOGraphicsFamily.kext

AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext

AppleSMBusController.kext

and many many others..

For touchpad try these kexts:

PS2.zip

Don't know, maybe doing a clean installation via USB.

ok i did a clean install then updated to 10.8.2 then installed some kexts to get things working, reinstalled chameleon and rebooted using your DSDT.. that seemed to fix the problem of the kexts not fully loading. Attached is a new boot.txt. but still the fn keys dont work and all the processor states dont seem to work. The DSDT you gave me is not patched for HDEF but that is not a big deal i can do that. Thanks for your help!

boot.txt