Problems running Mountain Lion under VMWare 9

cowwoc

27 posts in this topic

WARNING: There is a problem with VMWare Tools version 5.0.1 and perhaps newer versions as well. You can no longer copy/paste from the host into the guest.

The version of VMWare Tools that comes with unlocker 1.1.0 is the latest version that worked for me. I'm not sure what version that is because of http://www.insanelym...inisos-version/

UPDATE: I stand corrected. The problem only affects "Shared VM" mode regardless of which VMWare Tools is installed. VMWare Tools 5.0.1 works perfectly for normal VM.

Gili

Gili,

Just for information, I am assuming by 5.0.1 you mean the darwin.iso from Fusion 5.0.1, I use 5.1.0 from ESXi 5.1, these could well be the same version, however they are a different size, and since the OS X VM's are running on ESXi 5.1 it seems only right to use the darwin.iso that ships with ESXi 5.1.

MSoK.

That would be interesting, as I had to use a legacy kernel version of Chameleon just to boot, then replace with the ivy kernel to upgrade to .8 just to get to the place where I could download ML. If its possible to fake the CPU in the VB VM itself, that would save at least some of the steps. I am working on making a bootloader .iso disc with the ivy kernel integrated into it so that people who start where I did can have a little easier time. The thing about it is, if you buy top of the line, current hardware, then get OS X "legitimately" the only way I know how -- which is to buy the Snow Leopard Disc from the Apple Store over the phone, anyone trying to do what I did will run into the problems I did. Its all well and good to get OS X working on older stuff, but what about the newer stuff? That's where the bootloader .iso disc that I'm working on could help, and where your efforts with the VB code could also help quite a bit. 2 different tacts to get to the same point - and having options, and options that WORK, is what I like best about this community.

Well started looking at it, but looks like VB 4.2.0 actually has a bug even on a OS X host which stops Snow Leopard from running. Will monitor the situation however you can definitely set CPUID masks and so it may be possible to use the same trick we use on VMware to allow early SL versions to boot on later processors:

cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

which in VB terms I think would be this:

<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/CPUM/CPUID/1/eax" value="0x106A5"/>

Anyway perhaps we should take this to the other thread you wrote.