Before You Begin... There is no keyboard connected to your computer. Connect your keyboard now.
- Please read the notes at the end of this post before jumping to Installation.
- This tutorial assumes some basic Hackintosh and computer skills. If you find yourself asking "What the heck is a kext‽", there is a lot of good information in the Technical FAQ subforum of this site.
- If you have a 4530s with ATI graphics, you'll need to disable it the UEFI, as it's not supported in OS X.
- Put these all into one folder for ease of copying.
- Download Install Mac OS X Lion.app.
- Download myHack.
- Download Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81XX driver
- Download the latest version of Chameleon from here.
- Download the Mac OS X 10.7.5 Client Combo.
- Download the .zip file attached to this post.
- Ensure AHCI mode is enabled in the UEFI of your 4530s. (It's enabled by default.)
- On your current installation, make an OS X 10.7 installer with myHack. You'll need an 8GB or larger USB storage device.
- After that's complete, copy SMBios.plist from the attached .zip into /Extra of your myHack installer; also, copy the .zip file itself and all the other files you downloaded--less myHack--to the installer. Your installer is now ready!
IMPORTANT: The DSDT in the attached .zip is for the i3-2350m non-ATI version with UEFI version F.20 and 4GB RAM. If you have any other version you will have to extract, patch, and compile the DSDT yourself.
1. With the laptop powered off, insert the USB installer you just made and power on the laptop; press F9, and select your USB drive. Press a key within 5 seconds and type (case sensitive)
SMBIOS=/Extra/SMBios.plist -vand hit enter. If the kernel panicks or it hangs during the boot process, post a picture here, and someone will try to help.
2. If all goes well, you will be presented with the installer. Open Disk Utility and partition the disk to your liking--I'll assume you call your partition "Lion"--then install to the partition you just made. Before the installer completes, open the installer log from the Window menu to prevent automatic reboot: we want to use the terminal once it's finished. It will ask you if you want to remove three different kexts, although I have not had any problems with leaving them. NOTE: If you leave it unattended while installing for a long time, it will attempt to go to sleep, and the installation will not complete since the installer will fail to sleep.
3. Open Terminal and type (case sensitive)
cp /Extra/SMBios.plist "/Volumes/Lion/Extra/", hit enter, exit Terminal, and reboot. No USB keyboard? See Miscellaneous Notes below.
4. Boot from the installer as in step one but this time select your "Lion" partition, type (case sensitive)
-v SMBIOS=/Extra/SMBios.plist, and hit enter. Plug in a USB keyboard and them remove it to get rid of the missing keyboard message. (If you don't have a USB keyboard, see below.)
5. With the USB installer still plugged in, copy the .zip file and all the other files to your desktop. Install Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx driver, Chameleon, and the Update Combo but don't reboot yet; copy DSDT.aml to /Extra and install all the kexts from the .zip with Kext Wizard. (Check "Backup kexts that will be replaced" just to be safe.)
6. Open up a terminal and type
sudo nano /Extra/org.chameleon.Boot.plistand press enter. After
<key>UseKernelCache</key> <string>Yes<string>but before
</dict> </plist>enter this:
<key>SMBIOS</key> <string>/Extra/SMBios.plist</string> <key>DSDT</key> <string>/Extra/DSDT.aml</string>Remove
<key>UseKernelCache</key> <string>Yes</string>and add -f and (if desired) -v to
<key>Kernel Flags</key> <string>-f</string>. With the terminal still open, also run
sudo mv /Extra/Extentions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext ~/Desktop/You can delete this afterwards, but one can't go without a backp...
7. Lastly, run myHack from the applications folder (It's installed automatically by myHack.) and choose to run myFix and reboot! If all went well, sleep, sound, WiFi, battery monitor, the USB 3.0 port, and the card reader will all be working!
- The brightness control seems not to work with FN+F2/3 as it should; instead, FN+Home/Page Up seems to work. All the other F-key functions seem to work as they should.
- I've heard that Bluetooth breaks after waking up from sleep; however, I have no Bluetooth devices, so I can't test this.
- If your 4530s came with a 4K sector drive (Mine did. HTS547550A9E384, to be exact.), Have a look at this thread. However, there's no need for an Ubuntu LiveCD: you can just copy boot1h to the USB installer and use Terminal from it instead.
- If you have no USB keyboard, also type
touch "/Volumes/Lion/var/db/.AppleSetupDone"in step three. You will have to setup your account yourself: this will give you a password-less administrator account.
- You can use KeyRemap4MacBook to get the command and option keys assigned where you want them. Hint: By default, right alt is right ⌘; left alt is left ⌘, and the Windows key is left ⌥. I prefer to have the alt keys be ⌥ and the Windows key be ⌘. Everything else seems to be correct except for the fact that ~ and ` is registered as § and ±.
V1.0: 10-21-12: Initial post
V1.1: 10-24-12: Added attachment (d'oh!), added info about Install Mac OS X Lion.app, misc. wording changes.
V1.2: 01-03-13: Added version numbers in changelog. Added ATI graphics information. Added DSDT information. Simplified method of getting to boot menu. Miscellaneous clarifications and shortenings.