Model Train ITX case? Whaaa?

Mr.D.

2 posts in this topic

Wanna be the coolest kid on the block - and by that I mean the geekiest adult who combined his two hobbies: computers AND model trains?

lian-li-train-pc-case-640x353.jpg

In what must be one of the weirdest, coolest, and most useless mashups ever conceived, Lian Li has produced a PC case in the form of a model train.

Now, by default, this is just an aluminium, mini-ITX case that sits stationary on an a piece of railway track — but if you opt for the premium model, you get six pieces of track and the case is upgraded with an electric motor that allows it to move up and down the track. The standard version is reasonably priced at $229, but it’ll cost you $379 for the one that actually moves. The moving version even has a vaporizer that pumps smoke out of the locomotive’s chimney.

I don’t think I’ve ever wanted anything as much as I want a Lian Li PC-CK101 train case.

Once you’ve ceased your nerdy squealing, though, we should temper our excitement by remembering the fundamental law of desktop computing: It’s stationary. Sitting at your desk, the only part of your PC setup that actually moves is your mouse — and even then, we’re talking about a few inches. Imagine if your mouse, keyboard, and monitor were plugged into a Lian Li train case… and then it departs. Best case scenario, the little Lian Li that could pulls the power plug out of the wall — worst case, you’re going to be picking little liquid crystals out of your carpet for years to come.

lian-li-train-case-motor-640x640.jpg

Rounding out the hardware specs, there’s space for one 3.5-inch drive, one slimline optical drive, two external USB 3.0 sockets, and the case comes with a built-in 300-watt PSU (ironically, I think it goes in the train’s carriage, rather than the locomotive). There’s one 120mm fan at the rear of the case, but that’s it for cooling. I’m also not sure how you actually get inside the case — possibly through the bottom. Both the standard and premium models will go on sale at the end of September.

Lets hope this is just the beginning of a series of weird off-the-shelf cases from Lian Li. I’d love a PC case shaped like a car or airplane or, I don’t know, maybe a TIE fighter.

Well... quite radical case (whatever meaning "case" might have here). Does it come with a water cooling and a steam generator? Does it whistle when booted up?

Let's wait when a Caterpillar D11T CD replica case arrive (with AMD Bulldozer CPU inside)...

• Like 2