MacDrive in Windows 8.x: how to

BuXb

26 posts in this topic

You installed Windows 8 or 8.1, learned that MD 8 is NOT compatible, but don't want to pay for MacDrive 9? Here we go:

• download & install MD 9.3.2.6 Pro Trial
  • back up c:\windows\system32\drivers\MDFSYSNT.SYS and MDPMGRNT.SYS
  • reboot
  • uninstall MD 9
  • reboot
  • install MD 8.0.7.38 (1. in Compatibility Mode for Win7; 2. versions < 8.0.7.38 won't install), wait w. reboot
  • overwrite c:\windows\system32\drivers\MDFSYSNT.SYS and MDPMGRNT.SYS with the ones you backed up from the MD 9 install
  • reboot
  • activate

Enjoy MD 8.x with the latest MD 9 drivers :)

[EDIT]: this does NOT work with Windows 10 because the MD 9 drivers do not work in Windows 10 for which Mediafour requires Macdrive 10, which does not use MDPMGRNT.SYS anymore at all.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

You installed Windows 8, learned that MD 8 is NOT compatible, but don't want to pay for MacDrive 9? Here we go:

1. install MD 9 Pro Trial
  2. back up c:\windows\system32\drivers\MDFSYSNT.SYS and MDPMGRNT.SYS
  3. reboot
  4. uninstall MD 9
  5. reboot
  6. install MD 8.0.7.38 (1. in Compatibility Mode for Win7; 2. versions < 8.0.7.38 won't install), wait w. reboot
  7. overwrite c:\windows\system32\drivers\MDFSYSNT.SYS and MDPMGRNT.SYS with the ones you backed up from the MD 9 install
  8. reboot
  9. activate

Enjoy MD 8 with the MD 9 drivers :)

Thank you very much for this idea, that was the only missing stuff in my freshly installed Windows 8, so far only MD 9 was working but a trial license only, so now i get the best of both !!

• Like 1

it"s most likely conflicting w/ another device driver you have installed .. if you post if you have a 32 or 64 bit Win8 install, maybe someone can zip & upload the working drivers and send you a link via PM (not here directly in the thread 'cause it might not be legal). I am very busy so might not be able to for a few days, but there is others here who got it working and who might b able to help you quicker.

it"s most likely conflicting w/ another device driver you have installed .. if you post if you have a 32 or 64 bit Win8 install, maybe someone can zip & upload the working drivers and send you a link via PM (not here directly in the thread 'cause it might not be legal). I am very busy so might not be able to for a few days, but there is others here who got it working and who might b able to help you quicker.

hmmm... it's strange because I alwasy did that after installing a fresh copy of Win 8... thank you anyway, I will wait for someone else.

P.S: I'm running x64 Win pro ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

AAARRFF , we'll need a new work around for windows 8.1 blue, reporting that pro here isnt working ....Arf ..darn it lol.. will keep trying

quote from their site

MacDrive 9 does not yet support Windows 8.1

​so when it does i imagine that its the same process however for good measure i even tried .net 3.5 via the add or turn windows feature on or off

• 2 months later...

thanks for all the feed-back, fellow MadDrivers :)

Has anybody upgraded their Win8 w/ MD 8 or 9 running with the RTM 8.1, and if, does MacDrive still work afterwards? It's possible that just the installers don't launch, but the driver itself maybe does work?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Paragon HFS +   this work perfect in Win8.1 Prof.

There seems to be a problem with Paragon HFS+ on windows 8.1, it installs (tried both 10.0 and 10.2 versions), once i restart i cannot mount the Mac partition (when trying to assign a new letter it says cannot find the file specified).  Trying unmounting/mouting the Mac partition, without results.

MacDrive Pro 9.2.0.2

Now supports Windows 8.1

Fixed: Right-clicking a drive in Windows Explorer can crash Explorer.

Fixed: In some situations, activation failures displayed an incorrect error message.

www.mediafour.com/support/macdrivepro

Installed MacDrive as a 15-day trial version.  Trial version expires.  Registered a new Windows user with administrative settings.  New user starts a 15-day trial while my main one still expires.  I never tried Paragon, is it as good as TransMac?

MD 8 or 9?

I updated to Windows 8.1 and, of course, Macdrive no longer worked.  In fact, Windows offered to 'repair' it, so I went along with that.  As a result, Windows failed to boot.

I reinstalled Windows 8 and re-updated to 8.1.  Now I am wondering if BugsB's trick will work using the 8.1-compatible version of MacDrive's drivers with MacDrive 8.

I haven't attempted it yet, but will let everyone know what happens when I do.

Thanks BugsB for the tip.  It worked great for the past year.

• 1 month later...

I updated to Windows 8.1 and, of course, Macdrive no longer worked.  In fact, Windows offered to 'repair' it, so I went along with that.  As a result, Windows failed to boot.

I reinstalled Windows 8 and re-updated to 8.1.  Now I am wondering if BugsB's trick will work using the 8.1-compatible version of MacDrive's drivers with MacDrive 8.

I haven't attempted it yet, but will let everyone know what happens when I do.

Thanks BugsB for the tip.  It worked great for the past year.

Right, im on 8.1 and will test and post back and see if there has been any change in support as 8.1 has been out now for a little while .

when i said i was on 8.1 the version of 8.1 i had was not the update from 8 i mean i was on a direct 8.1 roll up 1 dvd and i can report that mac drive 9202 WORKS BUT the start up was seriously delayed so much so that i had a black screen for say 3 to 5 minutes just after the log in screen, this said im using start is back + 1.0.5 and i have modified my windows 8.1 for a custom theme etc (other bodge jobs) however im reporting that i will try mac drive 8 in a sec and use these drivers from mac drive 9 and see if they work .

right i have uninstalled mac drive 9 pro 202 the results are okay ish as i did so i told it to close the application automatically but did not choose to restart 

when you uninstall it it quits the desktop, then it goes into metro if you disabled that you get a grey or "color_here" background while mac drive uninstalls then it says restart yay or nay i chose nay to post back and check that i had backed up files etc

just about to restart then install the older mac drive 8 and replace the drivers...

okay upon reboot i got the error that mac drive did not start and that disks wouldnt be accessible so i ignored that an clicked cancel then replaced the drivers and rebooted again..... i did not run in compat mode and its fine 100% working it will expire soon so i just need to enter my activation code is all....

so with windows 8.1 roll up 1 dvd not an update its working !!!!

- however because of my setup on this machine its not brilliant at login screens i have to wait for aegis for it to bring me to the desktop but thats it ..,.it works ...now to test this on a machine WITH a Mac on it ....

right im on an unmoded windows 8.1 pro roll up 1 and theres not start up delay its fine you might need .net frame work 2 and 3 fully installed....

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

This does NOT work with Windows 10 because the MD 9 drivers do not work in Windows 10 for which Mediafour requires Macdrive 10, which does not use MDPMGRNT.SYS anymore at all.