Feedback on Nvidia 0.1a alpha driver release

178 posts in this topic

I have GeForce PCX 5300 and i can't get the drivers to work here is my details from System Profiler:

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCIe

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x00fc

Revision ID: 0x00a2

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

If i put Device ID as 0x00fc10de nothing happens any help appreciated thanks.

I'm getting the following error message in term when I try kextload. Anyone got any ideas as to what's going on?

kextload: extension /System/Library/Extensions/NVidia.kext appears to be valid
kextload: notice: extension /System/Library/Extensions/NVidia.kext has debug properties set
6NVIDIA is not compatible with its superclass, 17IONDRVFramebuffer superclass changed?
kextload: a link/load error occured for kernel extension /System/Library/Extensions/NVidia.kext
load failed for extension /System/Library/Extensions/NVidia.kext

Sys. Specs:

Display:

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0322

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

Thanks. FD

• 8 months later...
Tried with my Dell Inspiron 8600 with a GeForce 4 4200 Go. Initially dropped the kext in and it loaded fine but in System Profiler still said type was a VGA-compatible controller. Didn't notice any improvement and the CPU was grinding away. Edited the Info.plist and added my chain with device ID. Now it hangs at the logon screen :(

So I'll reboot, overwrite the Info.plist with the initial plist from the zip and try again. Great to see some progress being made!

Edit: BTW If anybody gets it to load will they please try to get 1680x1050 res? Obviously this only applies to those with a widescreen laptop (Dell) but it'd be nice to know if this res is available now....

Edit: Now I have it loading with the device id added in the Info.plist (set root to own the modded plist) but even after manually loading the kext through a terminal with success the System Profiler says "No Kext loaded". Chipset is recognized no probs...

Hope I'm not disturbing w/stupid questions.

I have a GeForce4 4200 Go Mobile on my Dell Latitude D800, how did u get to work the resolution, i have tried MacVidia 1.08 and the card gets recognized but no res changes (if i try that it freezes)...

Got the Natit and no changes either... i can't use any other res that 1024x768 and i know max res is 1280x800

please help me...