Feedback on Nvidia 0.1a alpha driver release

178 posts in this topic

So a few hours ago I downloaded the NVidia 0.1a alpha driver release on macvidia.plusmediamusic.com, and installed it on my system.

Before I restarted, though, I checked the Info.plist file and added the following device/vendor ID under IOPCIMatch

0x031b10de

This is because it wasn't originally in the list, and I have an NVidia Geforce FX Go 5650 128MB in my laptop.

I then restarted and opened System Profiler, and found that my Chipset was recognized. Instead of showing VGA-Compatible Controller, it actually said Geforce FX Go5650.

However, I tried playing video files of various types and found that my CPU usage is still > 70%, so I think that my 2D video is not being accelerated. I wonder if it's because the driver itself isn't recognizing my card since I had to add that ID??

What are other people's experiences with this new NVidia.kext driver?

I added 0x032410de to the plist file and it didn't recognize my card. B)

My info:

Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0324

Revision ID: 0x00a1

I tried sudo kextload /System/Extensions/NVIdia.kext, and it said that it loaded the kext succesfully. System profiler still says No Kext Loaded.

Any suggestions? Or should I wait for the next version?

http://www.macvidia.com.ar/

alpha release of the nvidia driver from that team. superb result for the community, but i cant get it working on my Leadtek 6800NU. i tried adding the device/vendor id string but still no joy...

edit: I messed up adding the IDs.. now done it properly and the kext loads. I cant see any discernible difference, cant change resolutions, quartz extreme and core image are still unsupported. is this normal for this driver?

also system profiler reports that it is a 6800 on the PCI bus, even tho the card is AGP. I remember reading somewhere about someone adding the device/vendor id of their PCI-AGP bridge to a driver resulting in success. anyone know if such a thing is suitable here?

anyone else have any luck?

[ to the driver team - great work guys, thank you for all your efforts! ]

Okay, I got it working now... it says I have a GeForce 5200 go B)

I didn't notice any speed difference (yet), but it's a start. :)

EDIT: Correction! I just played the new Harry Potter 4 trailer smoothly, which didn't go so smooth before I installed this driver. :) Still no smooth fullscreen playback but this certainly helps.

I added 0x017510de to the plist file, the kext seems to load (manually), but my card, a geforce go 420 isn't recognized, even after rebooting.

I tried to boot in verbose mode to see where it went wrong : the systeem still tries to load NVDAResman.kext, Geforce.kext and NVDANV10.kext, with the same missing call error as it did before, but doesn't even load the NVidia.kext module.

Has anybody a suggestion ? (beside waiting for the next version, which I will do if nothing lse comes).

EDIT : I removed all existing NVIDIA kext from the Extensions folder, rebooted, and it worked. Just in case, I put them back, rebooted again, and it still works. The chaine I added in the plist file is "0xfff8ffff 0x017510de&amp".

Now my card is recognised, but I don't notice any change. 32mb are detected while booting, but the System profiler prints 64mb. Here is the output :

NVIDIA GeForce4 GO - 64 MB:

Chipset Model: GeForce4 420 Go

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

Device ID: 0x0175

Revision ID: 0x00a3

Displays:

Moniteur de type inconnu:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Not Supported

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

The chipset is well detected, but it is still recognised as a "VGA-Compaptible" as it was before. MPlayer still doesn't work when using Core Video nor Quartz Video (blank or black screen only), but this may be an OpenGL problem (like with Preview.app).

However, great work ! When CoreImage and Quartz Extreme are enabled, I will delete my winXp partition B)

Tried with my Dell Inspiron 8600 with a GeForce 4 4200 Go. Initially dropped the kext in and it loaded fine but in System Profiler still said type was a VGA-compatible controller. Didn't notice any improvement and the CPU was grinding away. Edited the Info.plist and added my chain with device ID. Now it hangs at the logon screen B)

So I'll reboot, overwrite the Info.plist with the initial plist from the zip and try again. Great to see some progress being made!

Edit: BTW If anybody gets it to load will they please try to get 1680x1050 res? Obviously this only applies to those with a widescreen laptop (Dell) but it'd be nice to know if this res is available now....

Edit: Now I have it loading with the device id added in the Info.plist (set root to own the modded plist) but even after manually loading the kext through a terminal with success the System Profiler says "No Kext loaded". Chipset is recognized no probs...

Tried with my Dell Inspiron 8600 with a GeForce 4 4200 Go. Initially dropped the kext in and it loaded fine but in System Profiler still said type was a VGA-compatible controller. Didn't notice any improvement and the CPU was grinding away. Edited the Info.plist and added my chain with device ID. Now it hangs at the logon screen B)

So I'll reboot, overwrite the Info.plist with the initial plist from the zip and try again. Great to see some progress being made!

Edit: BTW If anybody gets it to load will they please try to get 1680x1050 res? Obviously this only applies to those with a widescreen laptop (Dell) but it'd be nice to know if this res is available now....

No it isn't. I still can't go to 1400x1050... maximum resolution is still 1280x1024.

I have a Geforce 6200GT, tried adding 0x022110de.

No improvement on No kext loaded but everything seems smoother.

Am I using the correct dev id? How do i add a kext to the "load.everytime" list?

HUGE EDIT!: Fullscreen video works at resonable fps!(80% CPU)

How do I add my device id in the info.plist file? I know how to edit it but how do I put my device id exactly into this?

<string>0x0000010de&0xfff8ffff 0x026d10de& ........

Device ID: 0x0253

Revision ID: 0x00a3

Is this the good thing to add? : 0x025310de?

After I edit the info.plist file, I must redo the sudo wheel thing right?

the alpha driver works!!! hehehe..QE and CI still not supported though..it detects it as PCI also but it is AGP ;)

Even without a supported kext any video is recognized as PCI. If the diver work for you your card should be recognized as AGP, like some if you read the thread.

So a few hours ago I downloaded the NVidia 0.1a alpha driver release on macvidia.plusmediamusic.com, and installed it on my system.

Can some one post the file in other place, PM, etc.

I can't open that page ;)

all i tried failed , no way

kextload /System/Library/Extensions/NVidia.kext => load succes fully

but at reboot nothing appened

even with a kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/NVidia.kext

all thing looks ok but no way ;):):(

Hi!

I have a geforce 4200 go,

dev id: 10de

revision id: 0286

I've deleted all nvidia/ati kexts, and put the new driver in, changed inf.plist (changed 0x0000010de to 0x028610de)

changed permissions, and tried kextloading, which works fine

However, when restarting i see this "com.apple.IOgraphics no found....." and then some errors related to nvidia... (where does one find a log file??)

anyone experienced this ??

get it worked finaly :

edited Info.plist in Nvidia.kext

adding my card

my cards info are :

Device ID: 0x0343

then i added : 0x034310de

i repared perms ( sudo chown -R /System/Library/Extensions/NVidia.kext )

restored cache : sudo kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions/

rebooted and it's load

now my graphic infos are :

GeForce FX 5700LE:

Chipset Model: GeForce FX 5700LE

Type: VGA-Compatible Controller

Bus: PCI

Device ID: 0x0343

Displays:

Moniteur de type inconnu: