How to import iPhoto 6 Photos in Folders

markbm12

2 posts in this topic

I have an old g5 power mac running OSX 10.4 and iPhoto 6. My wife spent alot of time organizing the photos into folders by events and we would, ideally, like to move these folders over to a new mac running the latest version of iPhoto.

I know there's several tools that will allow you to export the photos in the folders BUT I haven't found any that will let you IMPORT those folders / automatically create those folders (and put pictures in those folders) on the NEW mac..

Anyone know of a way to do this / software, that doesn't require me re-creating all the folders / events manually and then importing photos, one folder at a time?

Thanks for your help...

Mark

• 2 months later...

markbm12,

Judging by the age of this post, I assume you have already taken care of the problem.

If by organizing in folders, you mean within iPhoto, than moving your library is easy.

If iPhoto has not been opened on the new computer

Simply move your existing library from your old computer to the new computer and open iPhoto. The library is stored in: /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Pictures and the default name is "iPhoto Library".

If you have opened iPhoto on the new computer but you want to overwrite all the new library

Go to /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Pictures and double-click the existing iPhoto library on your new computer. Verify that you do not need the existing library.Close iPhoto and drag the library to the trash. Simply move your existing library from your old computer to the new computer and open iPhoto. The library is stored in: /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Pictures and the default name is "iPhoto Library".

If you have started using iPhoto on the new computer and you want to merge libraries

In this case, I would strongly consider taking a look at iPhoto Library Manager (http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/) This software includes many features that in my opinion should have been included with iPhoto. It will enable you to merge all or part of your old library.

Always backup

In any case, I would suggest that you take the time to set up Time Machine and allow it to complete its initial backup. This will ensure that you can recover from any mistakes.