Feature Requests

centic

23 posts in this topic

Maybe a way to change where the files go to. I use two separate drives, so i like to keep my music and pictures on the second drive.

This will be added soon, I'm going to add rules similar to how iTunes does smart playlists

a UI

Could you elaborate a bit on what the UI should consist of?

Works to do what mac mini?

you say you want a UI, but this program does everything it needs to do by just dragging and dropping onto the icon. If you request a feature and then just say: any UI that works, you are not at all helping the developper come up with any design criteria. Be specific. Do you want to be able to manage settings via a window? use the open menu bar? what??

Im not trying to sound like a {censored}, but one of the most annoying this as a developper is people who cant explain their requirements. Im sure that centic would love to implement anything that you suggest, but you have to make it a concrete suggestion. the more specific the better.

Nice job btw centic...very nice and simple script.

Works to do what mac mini?

you say you want a UI, but this program does everything it needs to do by just dragging and dropping onto the icon. If you request a feature and then just say: any UI that works, you are not at all helping the developper come up with any design criteria. Be specific. Do you want to be able to manage settings via a window? use the open menu bar? what??

Im not trying to sound like a {censored}, but one of the most annoying this as a developper is people who cant explain their requirements. Im sure that centic would love to implement anything that you suggest, but you have to make it a concrete suggestion. the more specific the better.

Nice job btw centic...very nice and simple script.

Thanks Saber, I'd imagine its going to get more complex soon though..

YAY! This was originally Titan's idea, but I brought it back, made it more specific etc. But... I seriously think that MoveMac was a  better name.... No offense to original developer, but iArrange just ... isn't a very good name. I'm going to post my original featurelist:

I LOVE the idea of making a new drive on the desktop, probably renameable in preferences, the default name being the final name of the app, and being able to drag things in and have them go to locations you choose. Default when you install the app will be

.app Applications

.jpg/.jpeg/.tiff/.png/.gif Pictures

.mov/.m4v/.mpg/.mp4 Movies

.m4a/.m4p/.mp3 Music

.doc/.cwk/.rtf Documents

Other Home

And you can add things and remove things in the preferences.

My name is "MoveMac" or "MacMove" or "AutoMove" or "AutoMoveMac" (that one kinda sucks actually) or "AutoMac"

My favorite is definately MoveMac though.

Some complaints about 0.1:

Make the dock icon go away, have the files be sorted via a desktop icon called MoveMac.

The app should not quit everytime I put a file in.

And improve the sorting to what I said above.

Also, a preference pane would be nice!

Maybe you could stuff a few of those into 0.2?

The "NewApplication" thing was really as I said, because I made it real fast in XCode.

AriX:

I'll see what I can do about the dock icon, I didn't consider that because I had actually just left it in my Dock, which is why it quits right after you drop a bunch of files into it

I'll throw in a request for being able to define new file types, to include folders. (Basically the ability to use any finder criteria)

I'd like a pref to treat folders as atomic or if their contents should be arranged.

Since you mentioned itunes-like rules, I'd like "and" + "or" rules -- this could be executed in a way similar (best I've seen so far) to MoRU. (Take a look at "defining smart groups" in the help file for guidelines for creating a simple, intuitive, and powerful ruleset)

I'm not affiliated with MoRU in any way, just an admirer of their GUI. ;)

And requirements are definitely an art, as a systems engineer I *know* how hard it is to define clear requirements for a project....and how frustrating it is to be a developer with a bunch of fuzzy requirements.

That looks great!

I assume the rules are followed in order from top to bottom. Will you enable multiple rulesets/multiple conditions on a rule? (kind contains image *AND* (comment contains "adin" move to adin *OR* comment contains "jen" move to jen))

Looks great centic. Thanks so much for all your hard work on this - any suggestions that all of us have are really just detail things to improve on what is already a very cool app.

A few of suggestions/thoughts:

1. Would there be any way to keep a tiny log of the files it moves and to where? Might be handy if, for some reason, a file went somewhere you didn't think it would (like a strange image file, etc).

2. Speaking of strange image files, I love the idea of a preference pane to add new formats to the various movements (ie adding RAW to the Picture movement, etc)

3. This is a minor aesthetic concern, but it would be cool if the Dock icon could be disabled.

4. iArrange is a great name - I vote we stick with it. It's Apple-y and also conveys what the app does.

Nice! I love the new GUI! Now just the Dock icon going away, and instead making a Drive on the desktop.

On the name: I really don't like the name iArrange. It's not actually Appley, because Apple would never name something "i" if it started with a vowel. My names: MoveMac, iMove, iMoveMac.

Looks like I'm going to have to jump to Java/Cocoa to make this a "real" application, as doing this entire thing in Applescript would get pretty messy...

Mash:

I think the Log idea is pretty good, makes sense to track whats going where, and once I make the jump to Java/Cocoa (not sure which I'm going to chose) I'm sure the ability to disable the Dock icon will come into play.

As for the name, you can rename the actual application to whatever you want, just hit enter on your keyboard and type, but for official purposes, I'm going to stick with iArrange.

Ill give you another reason to go with obj-c instead of java:

if you write it in cocoa/obj-c, i am will to offer my services to help out in the development of this program :)

If you prefer to do this on your own, i completly understand and please feel free to use me for advice.

plus...java just sucks :pirate2:

From my understanding, you theoretically could write the interface in cocoa and then make a cocoa-java bridge to your code. But that is very clunky and in the end is just wasting time. The only time you would use java as opposed to cocoa is if you are writing a multi-platform app. But this app is only for mac, so it makes little sense to use Java. Plus, objective-c is actually a really really nice language that takes the power of C and object oreinted programing and puts it in a very nice package. Since learning objetive-c, i have realized how much I dislike C++ or C#. I used to be all about java as well, so im not just saying this as a C-fanboy. But i think im getting this thread off topic. My bad Cen ;)

• 3 years later...

hmmmm

so does that mean we shouldnt submit it in the feature requests forum

or we should submit it in both places

or only submit it there once people think its cool in here?

and at aeal5566 completely ignoring this whole post and posting his feature request here