Sapphire 6870 HD not shown in System Info

conlan

20 posts in this topic

I have a system running 10.8.1, its running the following hardware:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 rev2

Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

My problem stems from the graphics card not being fully detected or shown in the system info. In system info it reads as 6xxx AMD card. This is causing issues with Steam and Adobe products. Any ideas? I am running GraphicsEnalbler=No as it is not needed for my card to boot. Switching GraphicsEnabler=Yes causes the system to be unable to fully boot.

You need graphicsenabler=yes, useatirom=yes and the correct framebuffer defined in your org.chameleon.boot.plist (which IIRC is duckweek). I've got the exact same card and no other work is necessary to get it detected correctly provided your not running a dual monitor set-up.

follow all the above, and make sure all the needed kexts were installed during the installations as occasionally AMDRadeonAccelerator and/or ATI6000Controller kexts need to be installed manually

@Ramapage Dev: GraphicsEnabler=No has always been how I was booting.

@eep357: Those Kexts are loaded properly (both are listed in kextstat)

@rockinron_1: I am running the main display via HDMI and Graphics Enabler = Yes with Duckweed caused HDMI to not have any output.

@thelaughtingman: I will be trying this guide today I will report back with my results

If you can change to one of the DVI ports (yes I know HDMI & DVI are same). If neither of your DVI ports work with framebuffer=duckweed then the framebuffer is wrong. If one of them works then the guide thelaughingman referenced is what you need.

Without GE=yes you won't get it recognised in system info.

Use Frame Buffer:

Gibba

That is what I use for my AMD 6870

And without DSDT injection the card will never work without GraphicEnabler=Yes

Your card is not working. There is no frame buffer that is loaded and that is why the information is missing. You need to make sure you understand what GraphicEnabler=Yes does and what you have been doing wrong...

I am booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes UseAtiRom=Yes AtiConfig=Gibba gives DVI1 working but HDMI not working. As my main monitor is HDMI with audio enabled in DSDT I believe I have to follow the guide TheLaughtingMan linked.

Edit: The Bulrushes was working DVI1 and HDMI although the HDMI audio was no longer working. Still testing more framebuffers. Would I need to re-enable the DSDT HMDI audio edits to get that working again?

I am booting with GraphicsEnabler=Yes UseAtiRom=Yes AtiConfig=Gibba gives DVI1 working but HDMI not working. As my main monitor is HDMI with audio enabled in DSDT I believe I have to follow the guide TheLaughtingMan linked.

Edit: The Bulrushes was working DVI1 and HDMI although the HDMI audio was no longer working. Still testing more framebuffers. Would I need to re-enable the DSDT HMDI audio edits to get that working again?

What do you mean re-enable? Did you do something to disable it? Was HDMI audio on this card working before, in Lion or something? In DSDT you have it enabled for both IGPU onboard and PEGP for 6970, I'm not sure on this, but thinking you just need to remove it from the internal for it to work on external card instead. Other than that your all set.

I like DSDT solutions, and sometimes that's the only option, but when you're still learning I think it's best to keep it simple and do fixes you could do again on your own later if needed, or on your next build. Every situation can be a bit different, but for GPU, 9 times out of 10 graphics enabler is easier and will work just as well as DSDT edit. Sometimes it just may be personal preference. If you can learn to make everything work one way, then learn to eliminate different fixes one at a time by editing your own DSDT, in the end you will have both a well running system and a far deeper understanding of what makes it that way, which is the whole point of experimenting with osx86 on PC to begin with. If you do want to learn Rampage Dev even has a great guide to help get you started.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for editing the DSDT for me. It is booting with Gibba and working well with DVI. I am following the guide linked by TheLaughingMan to enable HDMI output as with the TV plugged in, the TV shows in Displays (in System Info) but it has no picture. I believe editing the Encoder hex value should be able to enable the output. Also messing around with the Transmitter ID to see if that has any effect.

Edit: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=273937&view=findpost&p=1811740 was very helpful in getting HDMI enabled WITH Audio.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP! to others with this problem, follow Rampage Dev's guide to edit you DSDT then if you need your HDMI working read the OP of the linked post, then edit your profile with the Hex from the linked post.