Asus GTX 580 Mountain Lion 10.8.1 - Not natively working

Breathless

29 posts in this topic

Ok, I've tried so hard on my own and come up short, so now I need to ask for help. I've hackintoshed many a system, but this one is driving me nuts for the past 4 or 5 days and i'm about to give up.

I have the Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard, and have followed a good guide to get fully up and booted. I have upgraded my bios to the one at the Asus Modified bios repository to try and fix powermanagment. In my case, it didn't seem to work, so I just had to use nullcpu to get booting otherwise I get a kernel panic. No biggy. This bios doesn't seem to have done anything actually, as my issue below is no different either before or after flashing to it.

Everyone keeps saying that the GTX 580 is natively supported, but mine isn't working properly under Mountain Lion. I can get booted up, but with the default drivers, only with 1024X768 resolution and only in safemode. FYI, my graphics were working perfectly in Lion 10.7.3 with modified kexts injected with my device ID. The new drivers in Mountain Lion have my device ID in it by default, and still aren't working. Actually, with the default drivers, in order to get past the "TUFS" error message, I have to fully remove them or replace them, then I can boot without safemode (but still stuck at 1024X768).

Things I've tried:

---Graphics enabler yes / no

---NCPI=0x2000 / 0x3000 - This corrupts my Mountain Lion installation for some reason as soon as I try it. Its done it to me TWICE. No amount of safemode or bootflags gets me booted up again, it just freezes at different messages during the boot process right after where it initializes the ethernet driver. I can't even boot from my TonyMac installation USB boot drive and then choose my OSX partition. I even tried booting the installer and doing repair disk and repair permissions... nothing gets me back in after this! I can however boot into the Mountain Lion installer from the USB drive, and after a reinstallation, I can get booted up again.

---Replacing the new OSX nvidia drivers with mine modded drivers from 10.7.3 and even tried modded ones from 10.7.4. The driver seems to be getting loaded in the boot process no problem (I watch it closely in verbose mode), but I'm still stuck at 1024X768 when it boots. What the french toast?!

---PCIROOTUID=1 and 0 - This does nothing

---Injected EFI string for Graphics card in boot plist

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I love this board and want to be done with this issue already.

Attached is my DSDT that I just extracted with Chameleon Wizard. Note that I have not thus far been using a custom DSDT. I learned that I am able to get my resolution to 1600X1200 if I change it with the "Graphics Mode" string in the boot.plist, but I still have to boot in safe mode since it is unable to properly initiate NVDAGF100Hal.kext even though my device id is properly inserted. My card appears to be detected correctly in system profiler as well. It cannot be changed to any higher than 1600X1200 though, and it can only be changed in the graphics string and not at all from "display" within system preferences. It makes no sense.

This is what I get during the boot process in normal mode (with -v) with the default mountain lion nvidia drivers:

"kxld[com.apple.nvidia.nvgf100hal]: The following symbols are unresolved

kxld[com.apple.nvidia.nvgf100hal]: ___ZN11IOPCIDEVICE9metaClassE

can't load kext com.apple.nvidia.nvgf100hal - link failed

Failed to load executable for kext com.apple.nvidia.nvgf100hal

kext com.apple.nvidia.nvgf100hal failed to load (0xdc008016)"

It never finishes booting.

When I boot with -x, I can boot, and my profiler shows the following:

ScreenShot2012-09-07at90224PM.png

Breathless DSDT.zip

Done. I completely edited your DSDT for you will all the necessary edits. Also I injected your GPU and Ethernet card. That said you can remove GraphicsEnabler=Yes and Ethernet Built In=Yes from your Boot.plist. There are pics inside the folder of the kexts you should install to give you full functionality of your motherboard. Enjoy.

Files.zip

• Like 1

Rampage, your working is amazing. Is a pity that the Asus mobo i have is a netbook one, because i desperately need a dsdt patching to make it learn to sleep and speedstep.

Asus boards seem to have a lot of OSX compatibility to offer, don't they? Besides this annoying little issues with power management, almost everything but graphics worked like a charm, out of the box, even the keyboard hotkeys, card reader etc.

I very much appreciate your work Rampage. I am still having trouble booting when carefully following your suggestions, and now cannot get in even with -x.

I put the custom DSDT in /Extra and I added the exact options you suggested in mbeast.

Trying to do a standard boot gets me what I had before, which is a "you need to power down" panic message (no information, just that generic crash message).

Trying to boot with just -x gets me a white blank screen just when it is about to get into the desktop gui. You cannot see it in the picture, but I have a frozen mouse cursor in the upper left.

WP_000299.jpg

When trying to boot with -x and -v, I get stuck at the "TUFS" message, which previously I have only been able to get past when I remove my nvidia kexts from S/L/E from my Windows installation and delete the extensions.mkext. I have not tried removing the Nvidia kexts to try and get past this yet. I'll wait for your suggestions.

WP_000298.jpg

I think that nvgf100hal error message is a big part of the problem.

Ok, just tried that and got no difference in the error message with -v debug=0x144

I also tried with just debug=0x144 and it didn't give me that same generic panic, but was hard locked on the spinning circle.

Doing -x -v debug=0x144 again made it almost boot but is stuck on the white screen with a frozen cursor in the upper left on the screen just when it was about to go to desktop.

FYI, I have been told by someone with my exact card that the "Nvidia GTX 470/480/570/580 support" option in mbeast caused him to have some issues. I did use that option in mbeast when I initially set up. Do you know which kexts specifically that this option modifies?

try delete your SMBIOS.plist from Extra, and reboot with -v -f

Just tried this and removed SMBIOS.

Same thing.... -v -f its stuck on TUFS, and -x -f -v almost gets it to the desktop. I do get hard drive activity when its stuck at the white screen, I just can't move my mouse (which doesn't look to be initialized since there are no lights on it).

My two cents: backup, reinstall using a different method (very important!) and add Rampage's dsdt. When you get to the desktop, plug your backup disk in and import everything with migration tools.

Perhaps this is better than fixing a flawed installation, especially if you suspect the issues are method-related.

My two cents: backup, reinstall using a different method (very important!) and add Rampage's dsdt. When you get to the desktop, plug your backup disk in and import everything with migration tools.

Perhaps this is better than fixing a flawed installation, especially if you suspect the issues are method-related.

I tried this as well, thinking it made the most sense, so I installed Mountain Lion as a fresh installation on a separate hard drive. SAME PROBLEM with NVGF100HAL as shown in the verbose mode pic above! And this is of course with using Rampages DSDT. I'm stumped!

By using this guys mountain lion Nvidia drivers that has my same exact card

http://www_.tonymacx86.com/graphics/70986-asus-gtx-580-direct-cu-ii-mountain-lion-not-native-support.html#post446602

I was able to get rid of the nvidia kext loading error. Makes no sense really since the drivers should be the same. Anyway, I'm still stuck on TUFS though. I tried your new DSDT on both my "old" mountain Lion installation and the brand new one on a separate drive and it didn't appear to make a difference.

The only thing I've found about TUFS is that to fix it you need to remove the graphics drivers:

http://olarila.com/f...php?f=27&t=1677

I'm having the same problem with my ASUS DirectCU II GTX 570 - Everyone says the gtx 570 is natively supported, but I'm stuck at 1280x1024 with crappy performance :(

Just with Mountain Lion right? I had it fully working with QE/CI in Lion.... Glad I found someone else with my issue.

Do you have the same error messages that I do during boot in verbose mode?

Ooohh this is exciting. Unfortunately my computer is at work.

I don't get the TUFS error. I've been playing around with things a lot and haven't been notating real well.

At first I was only able to boot into safe mode. After I deleted the Geforce kext's I was able to boot normally, which obviously isn't good. I replaced my geforce kext's and the other graphics kext's with files I found on tonymac I believe. As far as I know, they were "factory" drivers. Yet I was able to boot into ML without going into safe mode.

Verbose - booting up looks smooth as can be as far as I know. I boot up just as fast as an actually Mac. Runs great aside from the graphics problem.

I really haven't made much progress though. At one point I was able to get 1920x1080, but without QE/CI. Ran like garbage.

I was able to get my card to run perfectly in Lion as well.

I probably won't be able to try these new drivers out tonight, so if they fix your problem - please share! :)

The new drivers are working!!!! The installer did not work for me though. I had to "show package contents" -> contents -> packages -> "show package contents" of webDriverPayload_68z6s -> extract Archive.pax.gz

bo0m all the kext files are there for you to manually install. It's a beautiful thing. I hope you get that other problem worked out (TUFS). It seems like it might be a network card issue, but I honestly have no clue lol.

The new drivers are working!!!! The installer did not work for me though. I had to "show package contents" -> contents -> packages -> "show package contents" of webDriverPayload_68z6s -> extract Archive.pax.gz

bo0m all the kext files are there for you to manually install. It's a beautiful thing. I hope you get that other problem worked out (TUFS). It seems like it might be a network card issue, but I honestly have no clue lol.

I noticed the same thing about all the drivers being right in there, but when I checked them they did not appear to have the device ID for our cards in there.... Did you have to modify yours prior to installing?

I used the installer to install mine for giggles and instead of getting stuck at TUFS, I now get a black screen. So, some progress I guess....