Will HD 2500 work with ML 10.8

martisti

28 posts in this topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been able to get HD 2500 working on ML for framebuffer only - no QE/CI.

The framebuffer kext is AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext (same as HD4000.)

The QE/CI driver is AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext.

Did as follows

• Remove AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB.kext from /S/L/E so it doesn't collide with Capri.
  • Edit Info.plist in AppleIntelFramebufferCapri and changed the personality for the Intel MEI driver to match on 1C3A instead of 1E3A. Note that this chip is on the motherboard, not the CPU. The MEI for Series 6 chipset (which is what I have) has device-id 1C3A. Its driver is normally in AppleIntelSNBGraphicsFB. The MEI for Series 7 chipset has device-id 1E3A. Its driver is in Capri, and the Capri driver can handle both chipsets!
  • Injected "AAPL,ig-platform-id" as explained in the HD4000 thread using Chameleon boot-loader. All values for this field worked for me (except the ones with no-DVI/no-display).
  • Removed AppleIntelHD4000.kext from /S/L/E. This is necessary, as the QE/CI driver doesn't work, and if you leave it in, the system will hang during boot and system log will be flooded with error messages from it.

After this, I have framebuffer driver which allows resolution changes, hardware mouse cursor. Also seems to work a bit faster than the vanilla framebuffer driver (IONDRVFramebuffer.)

There's no QE/CI as it hangs :(

• 3 months later...

Just to report a successful install of a HD2500 mobile (Ivy Bridge Pentium 2020M laptop) WITH QE/CI.

You have to update to a working 10.8.3 (on my laptop, it requires ACPIPlatform 10.8.2 rollback, and I believe PCIfamily too. Then you have to use Chameleon r2187 or at least r2179.

My 2500 has HDMI/VGA outputs and internal display. HDMI was working almost OOTB as soon as I booted with GraphicsEnabler Yes. FullHD. But the internal display was not. I noticed that in IoRegistry, under GFX tree, Ig-Platform-Id was locked to 01660009, whatever parameter I tried to inject through Chameleon's IGPlatformId key.

This is due to the fact that Chameleon uses injection of that parameter since version 2177, but from version 2179 on, the injection is done automatically for HD2500 and HD4000 both mobile and desktop versions, based on the Graphics Memory. 32 64 or 96Mo. And for my board, the 64 M config was automatically setting ig-platform-id to 01660009.

From 2179 version on, the igplatformid key is not used.

I tried to patch and compile 2187 version of chameleon, to re-enable the manual injection option (source taken from version 2177), and to enable it for both 2500 and 2500 mobile. I was able to change the igplatformid to 3 (01660003) and it was a succes. Now the internal display works. If I want dual monitor, I have to boot with the HDMI monitor unplugged, then plug it once OSX is launched, otherwise OSX seems to see the internal device, but it doesn't turn on... Instead of patching Chameleon, you can use two other methods : a dsdt.aml including ig-platform-id patch (but it creates problems with ivy bridge native power management if you want it) or deviceproperties injection in boot.plist

That post in chinese (http://bbs.pcbeta.co...297288-1-1.html) gave me the idea to the solution. If anyone reads or writes chinese, say thanks to that guy for me !

Edited by oliveiro

Well, now that's a breakthrough discovery: first time i hear about a totally unsupported card (no kexts for its chipset family, meaning no way to simply inject an ID to a plist to get it working) made to work.

Congratulations, but before crying victory i'd wait for someone to reproduce this success.

All the best!

Well technically, there are kexts for Ivy Chipset and Intel HD Graphics 2500 (they already include PCI primary match) the point was just to inject the correct info at boot, so these drivers got loaded properly. X86platform FramebufferCapri and HD4000 can be loaded thanks to methods I found around here, in forums. So thanks to them. And also, the chinese post was the first success report I found. So thanks to the guy too.

Just to report a successful install of a HD2500 mobile (Ivy Bridge Pentium 2020M laptop) WITH QE/CI.
How did you get QE/CI working? I have the HD2500. Don't need chameleon, as I patched DSDT as follows

Device (MEI)
	    {
		    Name (_ADR, 0x00160000)  // _ADR: Address
		    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
		    {
			    Store (Package (2)
			    {
				    "device-id",
				    Buffer (4)
				    {
					    0x3a, 0x1e, 0x00, 0x00
				    }
			    }, Local0)
			    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
			    Return (Local0)
			 }
	    }
    Device (GFX0)
    {
			 .... <original stuff omitted>
	    Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
	    {
		    Store (Package (2)
		    {
			    "AAPL,ig-platform-id",
			    Buffer (4)
			    {
				    0x09, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01
			    }
		    }, Local0)
		    DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
		    Return (Local0)
	    }
 }

The kexts are

AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.kext - framebuffer driver.

AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext - QE/CI driver.

The QE/CI driver doesn't work. System hangs on boot stuck in gray apple screen and lots of msgs in syslog.

When I remove the QE/CI driver, system works with framebuffer only.

This is on 10.8.3.

Gpatxxx, I'm sorry, but hd2000 and hd2500 are different (different chipsets, cpu & graphics). Try to google "hd 2000", I remember seeing topics about workarounds and modded kexts.

Zenith432, except bios video set to 64 Mo, graphicsEnabler= Yes in boot.plist and the ig-platform-id parameter set to 3, I din't have to do anything special ( I'm using a vanilla 10.8.3 (only intelCPUpowermanagement is patched)). What is your video Ram in bios, 64 ? if it's the case, you can try 3,8, or 9 for platform-Id. Since your dsdt edit uses 9, you can try 3 or 8 and see what happens. Else, is this a laptop you're using ? have you tried hdmi/dvi outputs ? does it still hang on apple logo ?

@artur : I don't understand what you mean. Remove the qe/ci driver ? Do you mean the GraphicsEnabler injection in boot.plist ? or the HD4000 driver in SLE ? I didn't test because I believe the purpose of GraphicsEnabler with the HD4000 driver is precisely to have HD2500 or HD4000 correctly identified and configured, and enabled QE-CI.

You have to update to a working 10.8.3 (on my laptop, it requires ACPIPlatform 10.8.2 rollback, and I believe PCIfamily too. Then you have to use Chameleon r2187 or at least r2179.

My 2500 has HDMI/VGA outputs and internal display. HDMI was working almost OOTB as soon as I booted with GraphicsEnabler Yes. FullHD. But the internal display was not. I noticed that in IoRegistry, under GFX tree, Ig-Platform-Id was locked to 01660009, whatever parameter I tried to inject through Chameleon's IGPlatformId key.

This is due to the fact that Chameleon uses injection of that parameter since version 2177, but from version 2179 on, the injection is done automatically for HD2500 and HD4000 both mobile and desktop versions, based on the Graphics Memory. 32 64 or 96Mo. And for my board, the 64 M config was automatically setting ig-platform-id to 01660009.

I tried to patch and compile 2187 version of chameleon, to re-enable the manual injection option (source taken from version 2177), and to enable it for both 2500 and 2500 mobile. I was able to change the igplatformid to 3 (01660003) and it was a succes. Now the internal display works. If I want dual monitor, I have to boot with the HDMI monitor unplugged, then plug it once OSX is launched, otherwise OSX seems to see the internal device, but it doesn't turn on... Instead of patching Chameleon, you can use two other methods : a dsdt.aml including ig-platform-id patch (but it creates problems with ivy bridge native power management if you want it) or deviceproperties injection in boot.plist

That post in chinese (http://bbs.pcbeta.co...297288-1-1.html) gave me the idea to the solution. If anyone reads or writes chinese, say thanks to that guy for me !

Did you delete the IntelHD4000.kext, like Zenith 432?

I've tried 3, 8, and 9 in the DSDT edit, still nothing. :(

Hi Lacedaemon, Zenith's method was pre-10.8.3.

Now there are working drivers and it's a combination of framebufferCapri.kext for framebuffer, AND hd4000.kext which is the driver for QE/CI for both hd2500 and hd4000, so keep it in SLE.

@Zenith

Did you solve your problem since april 1st ?

If not, check that you included DTGP method in your dsdt, since your dsdt edit includes a call to it.

Otherwise doublecheck in ioregistry in PCI0/GFX0 category, you will find the aapl igplatformid value, see there if your dsdt value is taken into account;

hope it helps

• 3 months later...

Hi @oliveiro:

I have decided to buy an Asus X501A with a Celeron 1000M http://ark.intel.com/products/72060/Intel-Celeron-Processor-1000M-2M-Cache-1_80-GHz (Student on a budget here). This is the same as Pentium 2020M except it runs on 1.8 GHz. Do you think I would be able to get QE/CI? or should I just get one with Pentium one?

Inputs are greatly appreciated.

cheers,

whyzee

Hi @oliveiro:

I have decided to buy an Asus X501A with a Celeron 1000M http://ark.intel.com/products/72060/Intel-Celeron-Processor-1000M-2M-Cache-1_80-GHz (Student on a budget here). This is the same as Pentium 2020M except it runs on 1.8 GHz. Do you think I would be able to get QE/CI? or should I just get one with Pentium one?

Inputs are greatly appreciated.

cheers,

whyzee

Hey whyzee

I had a look to ARK pages the celeron and 2020M, they look almost the same as far as Graphics Specs are concerned. The only difference I could found was "Graphics Max Dynamic Freq" which is down from 1.1 to 1, probably related to the CPU main frequency. My guess is that it's worth trying, the graphics chip is probably the same and It will probably work using the same method. Just a guess...

• Like 1

Hey whyzee

I had a look to ARK pages the celeron and 2020M, they look almost the same as far as Graphics Specs are concerned. The only difference I could found was "Graphics Max Dynamic Freq" which is down from 1.1 to 1, probably related to the CPU main frequency. My guess is that it's worth trying, the graphics chip is probably the same and It will probably work using the same method. Just a guess...

Thanks much for the quick reply. I guess I have to take a leap of faith then (:

Also, What do you think of this one? Its got the ULV Pentium 2117U. (Read somewhere that the Asus had problems with touchpad and spacebar, so currently looking at this one instead). Its looks almost the same as the 2020M except lower clocked CPU/GPU for power savings, I guess.

cheers,

whyzee

Thanks much for the quick reply. I guess I have to take a leap of faith then (:

Also, What do you think of this one? Its got the ULV Pentium 2117U. (Read somewhere that the Asus had problems with touchpad and spacebar, so currently looking at this one instead). Its looks almost the same as the 2020M except lower clocked CPU/GPU for power savings, I guess.

cheers,

whyzee

Well, I can't tell you much more about the Samsung than about the asus, it seems to be the same graphics chip/conf, the other thing you might want to check is the chipset. Normally it's ivy bridge for both the 2020m and 2117u, but I remember I saw mixed architectures. According to these 2 pages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(micro architecture) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_microprocessors you'll see that 1000M 2020M and 2117u belong to the same family, but 2020m and 2117 are closer to one another. My bet is you're not taking much risk with the samsung laptop, as far as getting CHipset/CPU/GPU fully working is concerned.

cheers

ps : I didn't have any problem with my asus so far, as far as touchpad or keyboard are concerned. But i'm not using it daily...

Well, I can't tell you much more about the Samsung than about the asus, it seems to be the same graphics chip/conf, the other thing you might want to check is the chipset. Normally it's ivy bridge for both the 2020m and 2117u, but I remember I saw mixed architectures. According to these 2 pages http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_(micro architecture) and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_microprocessors you'll see that 1000M 2020M and 2117u belong to the same family, but 2020m and 2117 are closer to one another. My bet is you're not taking much risk with the samsung laptop, as far as getting CHipset/CPU/GPU fully working is concerned.

cheers

ps : I didn't have any problem with my asus so far, as far as touchpad or keyboard are concerned. But i'm not using it daily...

Thanks a lot for the inputs. Your opinion is appreciated.

cheers,

whyzee

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE attach your kexts. I have same CPU and would LOVE QE/CI! :)

• 2 weeks later...

PLEASE attach your kexts. I have same CPU and would LOVE QE/CI! :)

Sorry, I'm away for the summer... anyway, I have no specific kext, except the chameleon patched file. But I recommend you follow the boot.plist injection option instead, starting with id 01660003, since you have the same CPU

Sorry, I'm away for the summer... anyway, I have no specific kext, except the chameleon patched file. But I recommend you follow the boot.plist injection option instead, starting with id 01660003, since you have the same CPU

I have tried 01660003 and it does not work. I need to know what else you must have done... Which SMBios, which version of ML and any custom kexts installed?

And just to verify, you're saying you have a translucent menu bar with a Pentium 2020M?

I have tried 01660003 and it does not work. I need to know what else you must have done... Which SMBios, which version of ML and any custom kexts installed?

And just to verify, you're saying you have a translucent menu bar with a Pentium 2020M?

Hey, the least I can say is you're not helping me to help you... You only specify "same cpu"...

As a start I recommend you read this full thread from the beginning, especially post #14 about IgplatformId

Otherwise, there was this thread on tonymac where we discussed more detailed methods.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leopard-laptop-support/70050-been-testing-osx-asus-x401a-any-one-else.html#post564109

As I said, I'm away from home and It's been a while now since I set this laptop up, so I'm afraid I can't help you more

than that.

cheers

Hey, the least I can say is you're not helping me to help you... You only specify "same cpu"...

As a start I recommend you read this full thread from the beginning, especially post #14 about IgplatformId

Otherwise, there was this thread on tonymac where we discussed more detailed methods.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leopard-laptop-support/70050-been-testing-osx-asus-x401a-any-one-else.html#post564109

As I said, I'm away from home and It's been a while now since I set this laptop up, so I'm afraid I can't help you more

than that.

cheers

Yeah, I'm just asking because no one else has claimed to achieve QE/CI on a Pentium 2020M (IGPU=0x01568086) except you.

I've tried every IgplatformID, I've tried DSDT, I've tried every bootloader and every MEI-ID.

Spent about 3 weeks trying to get it working and I've read everything.

My primary issue is the AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext reports link failed (doesn't load) no matter which method I try.

Kext is stock (10.8.3+)

Asus X501A (Pentium 2020M / Intel HD Graphics 3rd gen (2500Mobile PNP-ID)

Yeah, I'm just asking because no one else has claimed to achieve QE/CI on a Pentium 2020M (IGPU=0x01568086) except you.

I've tried every IgplatformID, I've tried DSDT, I've tried every bootloader and every MEI-ID.

Spent about 3 weeks trying to get it working and I've read everything.

My primary issue is the AppleIntelHD4000Graphics.kext reports link failed (doesn't load) no matter which method I try.

Kext is stock (10.8.3+)

Asus X501A (Pentium 2020M / Intel HD Graphics 3rd gen (2500Mobile PNP-ID)

Well your laptop seems close enough to mine

Try to check my first install method from the link to tonymacx86 I gave in previous post.

I guess that (if you're mainly using stock kexts) you'll have to investigate the registry, and be SURE that, whatever bootloader/method

you use to set the igplatformiD, the parameter is actually and correctly set. Once you find the proper method to inject/set that parameter,

test them all. (actually from what I remember, only a few ones match your config, depending on how many video outputs you have and on their type...)

I remember #3, #8 and #9 were supposed to potentially work on my config (which is 1 Panel + 1 hdmi + 1vga), but only #3 worked (i mean 01660003)

Anyway, VGA is NOT working, gives only garbled lines... HDMI and internal panel are ok.

Patching Chameleon 2177 source was not that complicated, you might want to try that. Otherwise, I guess the simplest method, and closest to mine,

is to use chameleon as a boot loader, use the boot.plist file to inject 01660003 into the "device-properties' line, and check with registry editor that your

igplatformid is set at the correct value. From there, with stock kexts, QE/CI should be working.......