G73SW ML 10.8.2 Install

jeffc2009

398 posts in this topic

Change your smbios to imac13,1.  Youtube working.

Great job ellnic.  I have been busy working, not alot of play time.  I guess you have clover figured out?  I used my old files to get a working system.  Changed smbios from macpro to imac13,1 to get system stable.  Still trying to figure out the brightness issue, not sure what's going on there.

hdmi was a dsdt edit to get it working.

I am using the iMac13,2 SMBIOS - same result. I didn't realise that the HDMI audio was a DSDT edit, did you do it manually or use a patch and DSDT editor?

In regards to clover, I have some stuff working but I wouldn't say it's suitable for release. It's a different animal to chameleon. Maybe we could put our heads together and figure it out? Drop me a PM and I can send back what I have so far :)

It worked, thanks!!! Was there a guide that you used to figure this out? 

Sure was...its on the OSX latitude forum. The asus fn hotkey driver from EmlyDinesh. Make sure your boot loader saves the backlight levels in nvram. You can verify by going into terminal and typing "nvram -p" without the quotes. At the bottom you will see the current backlight level value. If that works then find my mac setting will be remembered on boot and it will help iMessages if you use it.

Sure was...its on the OSX latitude forum. The asus fn hotkey driver from EmlyDinesh. Make sure your boot loader saves the backlight levels in nvram. You can verify by going into terminal and typing "nvram -p" without the quotes. At the bottom you will see the current backlight level value. If that works then find my mac setting will be remembered on boot and it will help iMessages if you use it.

EDIT: i got the efi string from the forum but the dsdt edits i got from a guy that tried to write a generic backlight driver that would work without dsdt, but it wouldnt work if you had a nvidia card since the gpu handled the brightness, additional info must be injected which is the purpose of the efi string. 

Awesome find.  I will have to change my install package.

what kext's are you using?  Did you get battery icon working?

Been there done that! In a few posts back, i posted an installer called ireddybattery. Heres the download: iReddyBattery.pkg.zip

Been there done that! In a few posts back, i posted an installer called ireddybattery. Heres the download:

What else don't you have working? My hack is about 97% done. 10.8.5 was 100% working.

I think that's it.  Extremely happy with this new system.  Thank you very much for help.

Glad to have helped. Enjoy. So am i...dont think I'm ever going back to 10.8 for a while. Mavericks feels like a more modernized snow leopard. How is battery life on your system?

Battery life sucks on these beasts.

Haha but I get 3 hours on mine though...way better life than windows. And i use my hack in college and it lasts through the classes. Maybe something is not patched right?

I noticed my battery is getting worse in windows 7, might be time to buy a new battery.  Last time I had timed it was watching a movie that was like 2hr 15mins long and I had like 5% left.  I bought my back in 2010.  Currently I have my eyes on MSI GS70, maybe for Christmas. Or after my oldest graduates from college next may.

I noticed my battery is getting worse in windows 7, might be time to buy a new battery.  Last time I had timed it was watching a movie that was like 2hr 15mins long and I had like 5% left.  I bought my back in 2010.

2010? I thought the g73JH's where during '10? I jut know that early '11 there was a recall for the cougar point chipsets that had to do with the data ports reliability and the ones after the fix (like mine) get a sticker that says new revision. Ive noticed that the big secret with other laptops with better battery life actually have a bigger battery than the g73's. If just a little more battery space was given, the g73's might have reached close to 5hrs of usage. And Sandy bridge was introduced in Jan. of 2011...

2010? I thought the g73JH's where during '10? I jut know that early '11 there was a recall for the cougar point chipsets that had to do with the data ports reliability and the ones after the fix (like mine) get a sticker that says new revision. Ive noticed that the big secret with other laptops with better battery life actually have a bigger battery than the g73's. If just a little more battery space was given, the g73's might have reached close to 5hrs of usage. And Sandy bridge was introduced in Jan. of 2011...

Maybe it was may of 2011.  Hell when you work all the time.  Everything gets confusing after a while...

Maybe it was may of 2011.  Hell when you work all the time.  Everything gets confusing after a while...

I here ya no worries...well enjoy your system! And thanks a lot for taking the time to write this guide!

I was thinking about putting in a gtx 660m in the g73 but nobody had any luck with the kepler cards in osx. Battery life gets increased even more with a kepler card and runs cooler.

• 2 months later...

Ah ok. The under screen blue led is for the JH models on the SW models, the blue bar is there but no led's are in it. All you have to check for is if the card is half sized or it might not fit properly. If they are then you're set.

Of course. Why not? But its a full height card so I'm not sure if it will fit properly.

ok just getting back to this, looking for a Wifi abgn or ac with BT4.0 half size card. Would love to have one that works OOB. as i do not have a dsdt. (im lost on that who process)

• 1 month later...

Hey there! I was wondering if any of you guys are still around...

I have a G73SW-BST6, and I'm missing just a few functions that should be working...

Installed 10.8.5, installed Enoch, used the Dec10.zip extras folder, and the last DSDT posted. I'm currently up and running, everything works perfectly, the speedstep appears to work, the sound works well, sleep works...I haven't tested HDMI yet, but my issue now is screen backlight and GPU 'speedstepping'.

No matter what I try, I can't get the backlight keys (F5/F6) to adjust the backlight. Also, my GPU is locked into max speed (675Mhz), which really wrecks battery life, and makes a ton of heat. I'm suspecting the problem is that most G73SW comps run a 1.5GB 460m. Mine is the cheapo one, its only 1GB. As much as I've messed with Hackintoshes over time, I still don't know correct ways around DSDT patches and whatnot. What do I need to do to get these things working?

(I've tried the efi string? that was in the 10.9 topic early on, but I guess it didn't change much because it was probably for the 1.5GB 460m (they have different device ids))

Also, side note: What Wifi/BT cards do you have that work? I know I need to get an Atheros/Broadcom, but I currently just have the Intel chip...which one do I need to buy?

Thanks,

Atarian