Two issues since upgrade

Blah101

10 posts in this topic

Ever since I upgraded to 10.8.1 I can't seem to get facetime to open properly. It loads, but no window comes up. In addition, my logitech C910 is "seen" so to speak, but I can't get it to work in Skype. I can easily use Photo Booth without an issue, but I can't see myself in Skype and FaceTime won't load. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately I don't have the one from 10.8.0. Do you know some where I could acquire it and test it out?

I hade the same problem. Facetime isnt loaded coz your camera has problem due to that IOUSBFamily.kext. I was using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] kexts and it came with a newer kext than ML had and the system was loading the newer kext hence the error. After removing that newer kext, I'm having no problem. Check your Extra/Extensions folder for that culprit kext and remove it. I think you should have your original ML kext in your S/L/E folder. If not I've attached mine.

IOUSBFamily.kext.zip

• Like 1

I hade the same problem. Facetime isnt loaded coz your camera has problem due to that IOUSBFamily.kext. I was using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] kexts and it came with a newer kext than ML had and the system was loading the newer kext hence the error. After removing that newer kext, I'm having no problem. Check your Extra/Extensions folder for that culprit kext and remove it. I think you should have your original ML kext in your S/L/E folder. If not I've attached mine.

So, I checked my E/E folder, and I didn't see any kext related to the IOUSBFamily. I did have a JmicronATA kext, but that I don't believe is related. I also had an Apple8xxHDA and AppleRTC kext. Neither of those should be related. I replaced my current ML kext in S/L/E with the one you provided, however it didn't seem to help. I still have the same issue. Would it help if maybe I put the IOUSBFamily kext in E/E?

When I had that newer IOUSBFamily.kext (bundled in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]), I was getting ....USBMergeNub(if i remember correctly) message in my console. At that time, I wasnt getting FaceTime or Photo Booth to load. In Photo Booth, camera simply wouldn't load. After removing that newer (ver 9.9.9) kext (I had one already in S/L/E ver 5.x.x) kext solved my problem. I can also see I have a IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext in my E/E but not sure if it is related. I'm using my testing kexts in E/E coz my system is still in testphase and i'm still booting using a usb boot loader.

one thing, when you go to System Report and click on USB, can you see your camera? I can see it. check it.

When I had that newer IOUSBFamily.kext (bundled in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]), I was getting ....USBMergeNub(if i remember correctly) message in my console. At that time, I wasnt getting FaceTime or Photo Booth to load. In Photo Booth, camera simply wouldn't load. After removing that newer (ver 9.9.9) kext (I had one already in S/L/E ver 5.x.x) kext solved my problem. I can also see I have a IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext in my E/E but not sure if it is related. I'm using my testing kexts in E/E coz my system is still in testphase and i'm still booting using a usb boot loader.

one thing, when you go to System Report and click on USB, can you see your camera? I can see it. check it.

My camera is recognized in my system report just fine.

• 6 months later...

i was just wondering if Blah101 ever figured this problem out. i've had the exact same problem for at least a couple of months now. i didn't even realize the problem extended into skype (i hardly ever use it), but it does indeed. most notably, no window pops up in facetime even though the blue lights on my logitech C910 do light up. the cam will work in photo booth.

i tried installing the IOUSBFamily.kext file uploaded to this thread to both my E/E and S/L/E folders, but the problem persists.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: i installed the Legacy USB Support package from multibe@st, which replaces the IOUSBFamily kext and deleted the kext uploaded to this thread from the E/E folder, and now i can get facetime to work IF i launch photo booth immediately after facetime. so i've made some progress, but it still doesn't just work. any ideas? perhaps its the specific webcam (seems to be a common thread) or something to do with an older build (i'm using a GA-P55M-UD2 mobo)?

again, any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

i was just wondering if Blah101 ever figured this problem out. i've had the exact same problem for at least a couple of months now. i didn't even realize the problem extended into skype (i hardly ever use it), but it does indeed. most notably, no window pops up in facetime even though the blue lights on my logitech C910 do light up. the cam will work in photo booth.

i tried installing the IOUSBFamily.kext file uploaded to this thread to both my E/E and S/L/E folders, but the problem persists.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: i installed the Legacy USB Support package from multibe@st, which replaces the IOUSBFamily kext and deleted the kext uploaded to this thread from the E/E folder, and now i can get facetime to work IF i launch photo booth immediately after facetime. so i've made some progress, but it still doesn't just work. any ideas? perhaps its the specific webcam (seems to be a common thread) or something to do with an older build (i'm using a GA-P55M-UD2 mobo)?

again, any help would be appreciated.

I actually still have this problem. However, I find your sudo fix for facetime to be working on my end. I tried it with Skype, it didn't work. Wish I knew why this is happening, it is really annoying to have to reboot to windows everytime I want to video chat with someone on skype. Plus, I have to get a different Mac device to do facetime, which is also inconvenient.