No sound after sleep - USB Sound card - Reconnecting fixes it

EnzoFX

20 posts in this topic

So been trying ML on my backup partition. It's been running just fine. However today I noticed that after sleep, my sound stops working. I use a USB sound card that is plug and play as all usb sound cards are =P. It is fixed by replugging, but this is not something I want to do after every sleep.

Anyone have any ideas? Never had any USB issues before, I have a very vanilla setup, only really FakeSMC required. DSDT never has given me a problem.

Any other USB devices disconnect during sleep/wake? If you have a USB hard drive see if it gets ejected during sleep. Also after wake, check system profile in USB section and see if it shows the sound card still listed before unplug/replug, if so, compare both entries. Most likely will be DSDT fix

I have lots of usb devices connected. Tried a proper USB HDD as well, it survives the sleep cycle just fine. Sound card is still listed everywhere (including sys profiler, with all relevant info), can adjust it's volume too, there is simply no sound. My dsdt is minimal. Incorporates all the fixes from when SL came out and required USB uhci ehci fixes IIRC. The dsdt has worked perfectly for all of SL/Lion and now in ML, it is only this usb sound card that is giving me an issue, which I have used just as long.

=/

Can this be an inherent problem with the OS? Usb support not up to par? Anyone else with a usb sound card care to chime in?

I have an m-audio transit 5.1 usb sound card, will need to do any testing involving sleep later on tonight, but iirc I had some issues at one point during a ML preview install where I needed to use the AppleUSBaudio.kext from Lion. It may also require a roll back of IOUSBfamily.kext depending on what it's dependencies are.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I updated to 10.8.2 to see if it helped at all. Nope. Still lose sound after a sleep cycle.

Did try restoring the AppleUSBAudio.kext from 10.7.4, and at a quick glance, it does appear to fix it. After a sleep cycle, I still had sound. I don't know if I like this solution, should I be concerned about any dependencies? Maybe a patched solution would be better? Should I not hold out hope that it will be fixed? USB Sound shouldn't just drop support like that, it's a USB plug and play device =/.

It's the same deal with USB 3 using non-intel controller needing USBMassStorage rollback, or AppleACPIPlatform rollback, AppleHDA rollback. Such is life in the hackintosh world. Some people have been rolling back USB to 10.6.2 version since 10.6.3 came out.

got DSDT? can take a look at it. Many USB audio actually use UHCI 1.1 instead of EHCI 2.0 like almost every other device, so may also explain why you don't see same behavior with all devices.

well, I only added the USB stuff, but there was a lot of work that could still be done, none of them had any methods or device ID's, I only added DTGP method to them so there may be more to work with on modding it, but I didn't want to add a bunch of stuff and have some part you weren't worried about start causing a problem all of the sudden.

ah I see.

On another note, I updated to 10.7.5 on my primary partition. Same issue! They must have ported whatever major? changes they applied in ML? This is lame. I did however find users having this same issue in apple community/forums, so I do believe it's not pertaining to my particular config.

Well I just tested this on mine since I have USB 1.1 sound card, audio works fine before and after wake, wake from bluetooth keyboard (My apple bluetooth module also uses USB 1.1) and all that jazz. Different mobo but mine is still ICH10 like yours, my UHCI entries have a lot more to them. Here is just one connecter:

Device (UHC1)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
               OperationRegion (BAR0, PCI_Config, 0xC4, One)
               Field (BAR0, ByteAcc, NoLock, Preserve)
               {
                   USBW,   2,
                           Offset (0x01)
               }
               Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   If (LOr (LEqual (OSFL (), One), LEqual (OSFL (), 0x02)))
                   {
                       Return (0x02)
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       Return (0x03)
                   }
               }
               Method (_PSW, 1, NotSerialized)
               {
                   If (Arg0)
                   {
                       Store (0x03, USBW)
                   }
                   Else
                   {
                       Store (Zero, USBW)
                   }
               }
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (GPRW (0x03, 0x04))
               }
           }

No device ID's or DTGP, but although I'm not positive as I'm still learning some of this stuff, s3d should address power in sleep (s3) vs. PRW which I think is power while awake and I think PSW is for a system monitor, I'll take a second look at yours and maybe add an experiment

what is the exact model of your board?

also to give better comparision, here is same entry from your orig uploaded DSDT

Device (UHC1)
           {
               Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
               Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
               {
                   0x03,
                   0x03
               })
           }

You might ask RampageDev to take a look as he's really good with that stuff