Is it possible to install Mountain Lion on an empty PC without a Mac?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

adoniscik

adoniscik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have unsuccessfully been trying to install ML by USB on my new PC which includes an Asus P8Z68-V and an Intel 3770 (plus its integrated HD4000 video card). I have flashed the BIOS to the latest version and set the SATA mode to AHCI. I tried every tutorial I could find to create a bootable installation USB, to no avail; all I get is a blank screen. I have verified the integrity of my installESD.dmg by comparing its hash value.

Please can someone give me a little guidance?

Kucksy

Kucksy

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:computer programming, outside activities (sports mainly),
not sure if this helps or not - but I don't think that the onboard / integrated HD4000 video chipset is supported in mountain lion - I know I had to upgrade my video card (from a nVidia 7300 to a much newer GT 220) as the 7300 was supported in lion but is not in mountain lion maybe you could start there :)

adoniscik

adoniscik

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My research indicates that the HD4000 should be no problem. Indeed, there are videos of people using it.

If it were a problem, would it manifest itself as the blank screen I faced? Furthermore, do I need the hard disks to be attached for the USB to boot? My guess is not.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,799 posts
Did you try a verbose boot? Let's take a look on what's really going on! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy