10.6.8 breaks audio + eth0?

ag246

4 posts in this topic

Hi all.

I am very new to the hackintosh scene, have been running Macs for years for work.

To cut a long story short I had my audio and ethernet working flawlessly under 10.6.0 vanilla - straight out of the box. Everything worked.

The hardware is:

Audio: RealTek* ALC268

Ethernet: Intel® 82566DM-2

The network was incredibly quick on my network here, definately as fast as my other Macs on gigabit.

Problems started when I updated to 10.6.8.

These devices are no longer detected in system profiler.

I've had a google around but all suggestions seem to point to loading in new/home brewed kext files.

Can't I just backup the old ones from 10.6.0 which work and install them with Kext Wizard?

Its not all doom and gloom, the machine seems very stable and I have got my Quadro 1400 graphics up and running :)

Thanks in advance.

Can't I just backup the old ones from 10.6.0 which work and install them with Kext Wizard?

Thanks in advance.

You should be able to, yes. Just be prepared to delete them if they cause kernel panic in which case you would required patched ones.

You should be able to, yes. Just be prepared to delete them if they cause kernel panic in which case you would required patched ones.

You can keep the IONetworkingFamily.kext From 10.6.8, just add the missing 10.6.0 kexts to its Plugins folder. Get the IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.6.0 right click on it and show package contents. Then open the Plugins folder. Move your IONetworkingFamily.kext from 10.6.8 on to your desktop and do the same thing to open its Plugins folder. Compare the two Plugins folders, move anything that is missing in 10.6.8 over from 10.6.0. Re-install the 10.6.8 IONetworkingFamily.kext.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I went back to 10.6.0 and fetched the relevant .kexts, after a bit of tinkering about, both my ethernet and audio are working flawlessly.

I can't get the machine to behave when asked to sleep, but I'm not that bothered.

:)