ML 1.8.1 update issues

tsddave

26 posts in this topic

Hello All!

I wonder if someone would be able to assist me?

I attempted the 1.8.1 update on my hackintosh direct from the App store. It downloaded and tried to update but then gave a failed message. When I restarted it boots up to the grey screen with the Apple logo but it doesn't make it to the login screen :(

Any suggestions? I'm really pulling my hair out here!

Any help is really appreciated :)

Edited by tsddave
Please remember that you are in a public forum, a bit of courtesy is always welcome. It's always nice to start by saying "Hi" or "Hello" before asking a question or seeking help.

try this boot flag: -f -v GraphicsEnabler=No npci=0x2000

when you arive in the Desktop, repairPermissions/Rebuild Caches with Kext Wizard app and reboot, see if this work now.

Good Luck!!!!!

Edit: Put your Hardware in Signature Please!!!!

• Like 1

I updated from 10.8 GM to 10.8.1 using the standalone installer through another ML Partition(DP1). and it said "Installation failed" yet, it worked!!!

just before you click the Mac partition bootloader (Chameleon interface). click the down arrow then you'll see 3 modes. first mode is "verbose mode".

click "Enter", wait til' it's stuck, and then capture the screen and post it here.

or just in the same interface. type -v and then Enter. so we can see where it's stuck.

cheers.

-Ahmed

Thanks a lot for the help :)

I'm very new to this though and wonder where I enter this boot flag?

Updated signature as suggested, thanks for the advice there.

Would this be in the chameleon boot loader? YES

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I tried the boot flag suggested by iFire and it got stuck as per this screen photo here :-

http://minus.com/ibzl0J9kut5lUu'>http://minus.com/ibzl0J9kut5lUu

I hope this can be fixed I spent many hours getting ML to where it is now with all the software and setup .

My thanks in advance to any further help with this.

On a -v I get this screen if this is better for knowing what the issue is :-

http://minus.com/ibzl0J9kut5lUu

I'm really confused because it seems to be failing on failing to load a Kext from Roxio giving blu ray support. I don't have a blu ray player,just a regular DVD / CD writer. I would be very grateful to anyone who can tell mw how to get round this please!

Here is a clearer screenshot:-

post-1041387-0-13315500-1345989176_thumb.jpg

Ok I've managed to get into my installation using boot flag PCIRootUID=1.

I've used Kext wizard to repair permissions And cache but it simply won't boot without this boot flag and it's not using the correct graphics driver because opening things like the notifications panel is just nasty looking and things open but the graphics behave badly.I tried reloading the ati6000 Kext but this hasn't helped.

I'm having a nightmare!

Any help so very appreciated!

use app Chameleon Wizard an configure your boot plist with this flags: in PCIRoot see button and click search , for your framenbufer see for your card , save changes and put it in your patch Extra

post-333439-0-77713400-1346006875_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I tried the update again and again it said failed and yet again I can't get into ML. I've tried the boot flag that worked last time but this time it won't let me in! I've tried all sorts of boot flags but nothing so far has worked. I wish I hadn't tried again!

Any help really appreciated, this is driving me mad.

I don't understand why this 10.8.1 update is causing me so much issue.

Hi, tsdave!

Let me ask you two questions: did 10.8.0 worked fine? When you tried to update, you got the message that the update failed?

If you answered yes for both questions, here's a third: did you use the App Store update?

If the answer is again yes, maybe you should try something different. Look, when i first updated my Atom netbook to 10.8.1, the update failed on me every time (without catastrophic issues though, it simply didn't work). I solved this by 1) Downloading the standalone update (which failed on me again) and 2) Force installed it using a very cool app called Pacifist (google is your friend).

You can try that. But i'll ask you to post here your org.chameleon.plist first. The issue can be caused to something simpler, like bad chameleon configuration. :)

I just tried that boot flag and here is the screenshot of the end result!

http://minus.com/ibhXI3wmy983aG

Hi, tsdave!

Let me ask you two questions: did 10.8.0 worked fine? When you tried to update, you got the message that the update failed?

If you answered yes for both questions, here's a third: did you use the App Store update?

If the answer is again yes, maybe you should try something different. Look, when i first updated my Atom netbook to 10.8.1, the installations failed on me everytime (without catastrophic issues though, it simply didn't work). I solved this by 1) Downloading the standalone update (which failed on me again) and 2) Force installed it using a very cool app called Pacifist (google is your friend).

You can try that. But i'll ask you to post here your org.chameleon.plist first. The issue can be caused to something simpler, like bad chameleon configuration. :)

Yes 3 yeses!

Once I get into my ML then I will do just that once I'm brave again! But right now I'm not even able to boot :(

Damn things driving me crazy!

Don't you have a windows partition or another mac partition from which you can simply copy the plist file and then post here?

As things driving you crazy, as an AMD hackintosher, i feel obligated to say that you know not. :)

P.S.: seeing your screenshot, it appears to me that you're in fact stuck at "DSMOS has arrived". In that case, the bluetooth process hasn't anything to do with your problem, being simply the last process to be computed. Worth a try to google solutions for "DSMOS has arrived". I, myself, have a couple of suggestions:

1) GraphicsEnabler=Y is the usual solution; try GraphicsEnabler=N too;

2) If it does not work, remove your ATI graphics altogether and use the onboard intel HD integrated graphics. Maybe this can get you to boot, then we can work on something.

Ok used the flags and USB installer and that allowed me to install over the top. I hope this was what you meant me to do..nothing else worked. I've got 30 mins to wait now so let's see :)

Will I need boot flags after this do you think?

Don't you have a windows partition or another mac partition from which you can simply copy the plist file and then post here?

As things driving you crazy, as an AMD hackintosher, i feel obligated to say that you know not. :)

P.S.: seeing your screenshot, it appears to me that you're in fact stuck at "DSMOS has arrived". In that case, the bluetooth process hasn't anything to do with your problem, being simply the last process to be computed. Worth a try to google solutions for "DSMOS has arrived". I, myself, have a couple of suggestions:

1) GraphicsEnabler=Y is the usual solution; try GraphicsEnabler=N too;

2) If it does not work, remove your ATI graphics altogether and use the onboard intel HD integrated graphics. Maybe this can get you to boot, then we can work on something.

I've tried both options on graphics enabler with no luck sadly. I can't remove the gfx card because my CPU doesn't have on aboard graphics sadly!

P.S.: to delete kexts when you cannot boot into your system, use the single user flag (-s) and then type /sbin/mount -uw / and hit enter. Then type sudo rm -R /System/ Library Extensions/ name of the kexts you want to remove.

But be very careful with what you remove: you can damage your installation for good!

P.P.S.: isn't your CPU a sandy bridge one? Doesn't it have an integrated Intel HD graphics, like, say, Intel HD3000? Should have! Your mobo should support it: http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=3854#ov

Are your signature up to date, Dave?

P.P.P.S.: A valuable single user guide: http://mymacbookmini...kexts-manually/