Patched mach_kernel 10.8.X for Atom CPUs

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,531 posts
Oh, it's beta! Okay! I'll pass it for now, thank you! This beta update is being reported as very troublesome. Thank you, anyway, for patching the kernel for it and shared it with us!

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

I recently got an info (by can't guarantee its accuracy) that ION2 atom systems, unlike ION ones, cannot achieve QE/CI, since ION2 simply writes to the frame buffer of the integrated GMA3150, and this card (unfortunately, used by most of the newer netbooks, including mine) isn't supported yet. So i think you're out of luck, unless you can deactivate intel GMA in your BIOS. You can try also to connect an additional monitor to your VGA output: maybe this output is directly controlled by your ION2 and then your problem is solved, yet in an unpractical way.

Forget what i just said: splonk just reported success in enabling QE/CI in the post immediately before my own, lol! So there's hope in the end. :)

I don't think the GMA3150 is ION2, but the successor to the much loathed GMA950. ION2 is based on the GT218, so similar to the 9400M in performance except that you are limited to x1 PCIe thanks to Intel.

Use kext wizard to rebuild the kernel cache from the Mountain Lion desktop, then reboot and let me know if you are able to boot without kernel panic.
If you get a kp show me a picture please :)

oh, please send me NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVenabler you are using, just for anther test ... thanks :)

I was able to boot without KPs until I started editing some kexts to try to get Airport to work again.

Here are the files you wanted: Attached File  Kexts.zip   1.48MB   135 downloads

System back up again, and QE/CI shown. Not sure if the translucent menubar is visible in the screenshot.

Posted Image

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,531 posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but ION graphics are from nVidia, aren't them?

However, and i'll ask you to correct me if i'm missing something, when used together with Atom N450 CPUs, the ION2 is set up from factory (and most times this setting can't be altered in the BIOS) to write its output to the frame buffer of the integrated graphics of the N450, that's it, the Intel GMA3150. Because of this, the fact it writes to the integrated graphic card, because this is the still unsupported GMA3150, because you normally can't disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS and, to add more trouble to the mix, because of the fact that, for QE/CI to work on a given OsX system, all the graphics installed must be supportive of it, the result is that is very hard, to say the least, to get Quartz Extreme on the newer ION2/N450 netbooks.

Or, at least, this is what it was explained to me. :)

Your netbook, maybe, is of a totally different kind, i suppose. But i simply could be wrong altogether. You tell me.

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Mine is not a netbook, but a nettop and has a dual core Atom D510 cpu. I understand that N450 based netbooks came mostly with integrated Intel graphics - typically the GMA3150, which, as you say, is not supported at all under OSX so all you get is framebuffer support common to all gpus. The ION2 gpu (GT218) hangs off the PCIe bus and is not integrated as such, since Intel would only allow its own integrated gpu. That was nVidia's way around Intel's restrictions, but it resulted in x1 PCIe as a trade off. Performance overall is slightly better in theory than ION, but some things work better with ION rather than ION2.

I think some wires are getting crossed since I do not know of a system with both GMA3150 and ION2. Certainly, there is no mention of GMA3150 in my bios.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,531 posts
Performance-wise, how is this Atom dual core running OsX? Is it comparable to older Core2 Duos?

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
It feels about as fast as my Revo, which has an Intel 330 dual core Atom inside.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,531 posts
Splonk and buoo, how are you guys?

I'm afraid i didn't understand the steps to patch the kernel correctly. Specially the chmod +x step

I will be something like this:

chmod +x <hit enter> then:
sudo <path of the patcher> <path of the target kernel>?

Thank you in advance for answering, i'm really lost this time/

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,531 posts
I figured it out myself, 10.8.2 up and higher. Thank you guys anyway! :)

meklort

meklort

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 135 posts

You really shouldn't use sudo, it's a security risk. There is *no* reason for the patcher to need super user permissions, so don't give it to the patcher.

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,531 posts
I did it worse, meklort: i used sudo su. LOL!

I'll keep your advice in mind from now on. Thank you very much!

oskr66

oskr66

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Attached file may or may not work, and it probably will cause xnu not to boot properly.

I've updated it to handle universal binaries properly as well now.

EDIT: forum doesn't want to let me attach the file so... xnu_patcher
EDIT2: And since I'm extra lazy.... (this one really can break things, esp since there is no flag to disable it...) KernelPatcher.dylib

Hi Meklort , Do you think a similar Mach_Kernel patcher could be done for the CPUS=1 or Lapic on some HP's DV x computers like mine ? just curious ..... I will appreciate your input ...... thanks

meklort

meklort

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 135 posts

Hi Meklort , Do you think a similar Mach_Kernel patcher could be done for the CPUS=1 or Lapic on some HP's DV x computers like mine ? just curious ..... I will appreciate your input ...... thanks

There is a lapic patch in there, it'll work around the panic but it's not the best fix (the better fix is applied only to 32bit kernels).

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMac Deity

• Supervisors
  • 2,459 posts

Splonk and buoo, how are you guys?

I'm afraid i didn't understand the steps to patch the kernel correctly. Specially the chmod +x step

I will be something like this:

chmod +x <hit enter> then:

Thank you in advance for answering, i'm really lost this time/

1) open the Terminal
2) tape chmod +x "drag the xnu_patcher" (without "")(no need to be into the parent folder)
3) "drag the xnu_patcher" "drag mach_kernel"

Like Meklort said it, no need sudo or sudo su to apply the xnu_patch !

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,531 posts
Thank you, Fantomas, but as i said, i already figured it out myself.

But it's cool that you put here a clear step-by-step, so the less unix-friendly users will have no trouble doing it. :)

oskr66

oskr66

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

There is a lapic patch in there, it'll work around the panic but it's not the best fix (the better fix is applied only to 32bit kernels).

Thanks Meklort , it has been a problem waiting all the time for the fix every time we get updates , I have ML 10.8.1 right now , with patched kernel , I thought the kernel was only 64 bit for 10.8? by the way I have an i7 processor , thank for your time ..... :thumbsup_anim:

AlainTox714

AlainTox714

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Hi, meklort

Sometimes ago you made the CPUIDSymbols.kext, I would be happy to get the source of that kext cause binary is stripped.

I found sources for CPUIDOverride.kext on the web but not for CPUIDSymbols.kext.

If this is possible thanks in advance.

AlainTox714

meklort

meklort

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 135 posts

I found sources for CPUIDOverride.kext on the web but not for CPUIDSymbols.kext.

That kext has no source, it's a symbols only kext and as such was not generated from c. Intead you use the kextsymboltool (I think) to make it.

Anyway, what are you trying to do? the kext method has ben deprecated in favor of the chameleon kernel patching method.

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
Does anybody know if this will work on a Samsung NC10?

Thanks

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMac Deity

• Supervisors
  • 2,459 posts
hi,

to get work it, it need a 64-bits proc, your Samsung NC10 has an atom N270, so only 32-bits !

sorry for you ! :(

AlainTox714

AlainTox714

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

That kext has no source, it's a symbols only kext and as such was not generated from c. Intead you use the kextsymboltool (I think) to make it.

Anyway, what are you trying to do? the kext method has ben deprecated in favor of the chameleon kernel patching method.

Thanks for your answer I will search about kextsymboltool. Otherwise I know how to patch all kernels with a script or on the fly within the bootloader but those kext are helpfull when you want to install from DVD without using NullCPM kext.

Edited:

Thanks again got it working with kextsymboltool and now I know how to get access to any unexported symbol from the kernel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy