Patched mach_kernel 10.8.X for Atom CPUs

buoo

72 posts in this topic

Attached file may or may not work, and it probably will cause xnu not to boot properly.

I've updated it to handle universal binaries properly as well now.

EDIT: forum doesn't want to let me attach the file so... xnu_patcher

EDIT2: And since I'm extra lazy.... (this one really can break things, esp since there is no flag to disable it...) KernelPatcher.dylib

• Like 2

Meklort's patcher worked fine for me. 10.8.2 up and running. A few new kexts, including IO80211, so time to fix my Airport again.

Did you put KernelPatcher.dylib in /Extra/Modules and Patchkernel=y only?

how to use the xnu_ patcher please?

..could you also attach the patched kernel?

• Like 1

I just patched the kernel using the xnu patcher. Just chmod +x for good measure and run it in a Terminal window as superuser pointing at the mach_kernel you want to patch. It creates a patched copy and leaves the original intact.

Didn't use the dylib. Getting a few KPs, though and nvenabler cannot probe my ION graphics, although I did get QE/CI on a few boots. I'll probably wait until the final 10.8.2 release comes out before playing further.

• Like 1

I just patched the kernel using the xnu patcher. Just chmod +x for good measure and run it in a Terminal window as superuser pointing at the mach_kernel you want to patch. It creates a patched copy and leaves the original intact.

Didn't use the dylib. Getting a few KPs, though and nvenabler cannot probe my ION graphics, although I did get QE/CI on a few boots. I'll probably wait until the final 10.8.2 release comes out before playing further.

Any problem using and rebuilding the kernel cache?

About the ION2 graphics I'm not able to enable the QE/CI, every time I get black screen. I had to install a HD5450 :\

I have a separate partition with 10.6.8 on it. I just used Kext Wizard to rebuild the caches from there. That seems to be a must for the slightest change to any of the kexts with 10.8.2 as even booting with -f just ends with nvenabler conking out or a KP.

For the ion graphics, (I have ION2) i just added 0x0a6410de&0xffe0ffff to the Info.plist in NVDANV50Hal.kext and added nvenabler to give it a nudge. That seemed to do the trick. Others have just used the pre-GM kexts as those seem to work out of the box. Part of the problem seems to be Chameleon and its Graphics Enabler. If you use Clover, the graphics work out of the box. I just found the boot process with Clover clunky and slow.

Use kext wizard to rebuild the kernel cache from the Mountain Lion desktop, then reboot and let me know if you are able to boot without kernel panic.

If you get a kp show me a picture please :)

oh, please send me NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVenabler you are using, just for anther test ... thanks :)

I recently got an info (by can't guarantee its accuracy) that ION2 atom systems, unlike ION ones, cannot achieve QE/CI, since ION2 simply writes to the frame buffer of the integrated GMA3150, and this card (unfortunately, used by most of the newer netbooks, including mine) isn't supported yet. So i think you're out of luck, unless you can deactivate intel GMA in your BIOS. You can try also to connect an additional monitor to your VGA output: maybe this output is directly controlled by your ION2 and then your problem is solved, yet in an unpractical way.

Forget what i just said: splonk just reported success in enabling QE/CI in the post immediately before my own, lol! So there's hope in the end. :)

Edited by theconnactic

I recently got an info (by can't guarantee its accuracy) that ION2 atom systems, unlike ION ones, cannot achieve QE/CI, since ION2 simply writes to the frame buffer of the integrated GMA3150, and this card (unfortunately, used by most of the newer netbooks, including mine) isn't supported yet. So i think you're out of luck, unless you can deactivate intel GMA in your BIOS. You can try also to connect an additional monitor to your VGA output: maybe this output is directly controlled by your ION2 and then your problem is solved, yet in an unpractical way.

Forget what i just said: splonk just reported success in enabling QE/CI in the post immediately before my own, lol! So there's hope in the end. :)

I don't think the GMA3150 is ION2, but the successor to the much loathed GMA950. ION2 is based on the GT218, so similar to the 9400M in performance except that you are limited to x1 PCIe thanks to Intel.

Use kext wizard to rebuild the kernel cache from the Mountain Lion desktop, then reboot and let me know if you are able to boot without kernel panic.

If you get a kp show me a picture please :)

oh, please send me NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVenabler you are using, just for anther test ... thanks :)

I was able to boot without KPs until I started editing some kexts to try to get Airport to work again.

Here are the files you wanted: Kexts.zip

System back up again, and QE/CI shown. Not sure if the translucent menubar is visible in the screenshot.

33wt62s.png

• Like 1

Correct me if i'm wrong, but ION graphics are from nVidia, aren't them?

However, and i'll ask you to correct me if i'm missing something, when used together with Atom N450 CPUs, the ION2 is set up from factory (and most times this setting can't be altered in the BIOS) to write its output to the frame buffer of the integrated graphics of the N450, that's it, the Intel GMA3150. Because of this, the fact it writes to the integrated graphic card, because this is the still unsupported GMA3150, because you normally can't disable the integrated graphics in the BIOS and, to add more trouble to the mix, because of the fact that, for QE/CI to work on a given OsX system, all the graphics installed must be supportive of it, the result is that is very hard, to say the least, to get Quartz Extreme on the newer ION2/N450 netbooks.

Or, at least, this is what it was explained to me. :)

Your netbook, maybe, is of a totally different kind, i suppose. But i simply could be wrong altogether. You tell me.

Mine is not a netbook, but a nettop and has a dual core Atom D510 cpu. I understand that N450 based netbooks came mostly with integrated Intel graphics - typically the GMA3150, which, as you say, is not supported at all under OSX so all you get is framebuffer support common to all gpus. The ION2 gpu (GT218) hangs off the PCIe bus and is not integrated as such, since Intel would only allow its own integrated gpu. That was nVidia's way around Intel's restrictions, but it resulted in x1 PCIe as a trade off. Performance overall is slightly better in theory than ION, but some things work better with ION rather than ION2.

I think some wires are getting crossed since I do not know of a system with both GMA3150 and ION2. Certainly, there is no mention of GMA3150 in my bios.

• 3 weeks later...