Patched mach_kernel 10.8.X for Atom CPUs

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

meklort

meklort

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 136 posts

Ah. So this Atom patcher is a bit pointless, then? Pity. Would have been a neat solution without having to bug those that understand kernel development better to come up with an updated kernel for each point release.

It's not pointless at all (well, this one might be), in fact I have a kernel patcher that goes and reads the correct addresses + patches everything appropriately (it's the same codebase as the KernelPatcher module for chameleon)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,905 posts
Really? That's great news indeed, Meklort! :D

fantomas1

fantomas1

InsanelyMacaholic

• Supervisors
  • 2,820 posts

I have a kernel patcher that goes and reads the correct addresses + patches everything appropriately (it's the same codebase as the KernelPatcher module for chameleon)

And... can... you...share... it... here ? :whistle: :P

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

It's not pointless at all (well, this one might be), in fact I have a kernel patcher that goes and reads the correct addresses + patches everything appropriately (it's the same codebase as the KernelPatcher module for chameleon)

Yes, I meant the script shared here. I know you have your own private patcher as nawcom mentioned on his blog.

meklort

meklort

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 136 posts
There are some changes I need to make before it can be released, I'll see if I can do them this week.

jamdox

jamdox

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
I just installed the 12.1.0 kernel on page 1. The system seems to work, but there were window server crashes on my GA-D525TUD... I'll start a separate help thread, but I wanted to let folks know.

meklort

meklort

InsanelyMac Geek

• Developers
  • 136 posts
Attached file may or may not work, and it probably will cause xnu not to boot properly.

I've updated it to handle universal binaries properly as well now.

EDIT: forum doesn't want to let me attach the file so... xnu_patcher
EDIT2: And since I'm extra lazy.... (this one really can break things, esp since there is no flag to disable it...) KernelPatcher.dylib

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,905 posts
I'm afraid i'm in the mood of breaking things: downloaded both of them!

Thank you, meklort!

fanvsvic07

fanvsvic07

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hello ,
is this support for intel atom n2600 processor? coz i got an asus eeepc x101ch netbook.....

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,905 posts
Isn't it 32-bit only, fanvsvic07, the N260?

If it's the case, and i think it is, you're out of luck for now, i suppose: Mountain Lion is 64-bit only, so it requires a 64-bit CPU.

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Meklort's patcher worked fine for me. 10.8.2 up and running. A few new kexts, including IO80211, so time to fix my Airport again.

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,534 posts

Meklort's patcher worked fine for me. 10.8.2 up and running. A few new kexts, including IO80211, so time to fix my Airport again.

Did you put KernelPatcher.dylib in /Extra/Modules and Patchkernel=y only?

how to use the xnu_ patcher please?

..could you also attach the patched kernel?

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I just patched the kernel using the xnu patcher. Just chmod +x for good measure and run it in a Terminal window as superuser pointing at the mach_kernel you want to patch. It creates a patched copy and leaves the original intact.

Didn't use the dylib. Getting a few KPs, though and nvenabler cannot probe my ION graphics, although I did get QE/CI on a few boots. I'll probably wait until the final 10.8.2 release comes out before playing further.

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,534 posts

I just patched the kernel using the xnu patcher. Just chmod +x for good measure and run it in a Terminal window as superuser pointing at the mach_kernel you want to patch. It creates a patched copy and leaves the original intact.

Didn't use the dylib. Getting a few KPs, though and nvenabler cannot probe my ION graphics, although I did get QE/CI on a few boots. I'll probably wait until the final 10.8.2 release comes out before playing further.

Any problem using and rebuilding the kernel cache?
About the ION2 graphics I'm not able to enable the QE/CI, every time I get black screen. I had to install a HD5450 :\

splonk

splonk

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I have a separate partition with 10.6.8 on it. I just used Kext Wizard to rebuild the caches from there. That seems to be a must for the slightest change to any of the kexts with 10.8.2 as even booting with -f just ends with nvenabler conking out or a KP.

For the ion graphics, (I have ION2) i just added 0x0a6410de&0xffe0ffff to the Info.plist in NVDANV50Hal.kext and added nvenabler to give it a nudge. That seemed to do the trick. Others have just used the pre-GM kexts as those seem to work out of the box. Part of the problem seems to be Chameleon and its Graphics Enabler. If you use Clover, the graphics work out of the box. I just found the boot process with Clover clunky and slow.

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,534 posts
Use kext wizard to rebuild the kernel cache from the Mountain Lion desktop, then reboot and let me know if you are able to boot without kernel panic.
If you get a kp show me a picture please :)

oh, please send me NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVenabler you are using, just for anther test ... thanks :)

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,905 posts
I recently got an info (by can't guarantee its accuracy) that ION2 atom systems, unlike ION ones, cannot achieve QE/CI, since ION2 simply writes to the frame buffer of the integrated GMA3150, and this card (unfortunately, used by most of the newer netbooks, including mine) isn't supported yet. So i think you're out of luck, unless you can deactivate intel GMA in your BIOS. You can try also to connect an additional monitor to your VGA output: maybe this output is directly controlled by your ION2 and then your problem is solved, yet in an unpractical way.

Forget what i just said: splonk just reported success in enabling QE/CI in the post immediately before my own, lol! So there's hope in the end. :)

Edited by theconnactic, 01 September 2012 - 04:54 PM.

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,534 posts
Any testers here?

Attached Files

theconnactic

theconnactic

Stubborn AMD user

• Local Moderators
  • 2,905 posts
Is the official 10.8.2 already released in the App Store, buoo? Because if it is, it doesn't appear for me... again.

buoo

buoo

The Prodigal Son

• Moderators
  • 4,534 posts
This one is the 10.8.2 beta kernel patched with the xnu_patcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy