What is Speedstep and how do I patch it?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Will take a look again later eep... btw, the audio on my board is VERY particular... didn't play nice with most kexts and was using Voodoo for years til I discovered a legacy patched 888 worked with it a few weeks ago,,, Sound is much better certainly Volume and a few other things and no occasional kp's. That said with both Gringo's and your dsdt's to date audio is a serious no-show. Again Booting with EHCIacquire=n.... likewise a no-go

As to the firewire issue... found a russian forum and translated the page with google... from what I gather the firewire has it's own power management override and its this that's preventing the CPU from sleeping... no idea how one patches that!

Look at your code... the device you added is EHC1 (one) and not EHCI (eye).... I believe it's the latter that needs to be in the DSDT to allow disablement of the fix (or am I mistaken?)

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
No, it's supposed to be EHC1 (one) and EHC2 (two) along with UHC1 (one), UHC2 (two) , UHC3 (three), etc. which is why I included the screen shots of it opened in DSDTSE. I can recompile using simplified entries that I use and see if it works any better.. Did not know off hand what audio codec you have so is why it was generic, but can include a couple different options for alc888 with little trouble. Just take a few mins.

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
Here is DSDT with edits for alc88 to be used with your appleHDA, includes stripped down EHCI entries. 2nd one is the same but uses ML pin config and includes ML alc888 kext (assuming your running ML, if not, don't use either of these and only use the alc888 one)

Attached Files

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Gentlemen, Sorry for the delay...

@eep

I started out with your latest DSDT,,,, audio worked, but still no mouse or keyboard. I guess the frustration took hold here so I decided to check out my boards BIOS updates in the hope they may have added in someplace the EHCI Handover you mentioned... In a way I'm glad I did as the revision I was running was early 2009.. flashed it to Jan 2011 (latest revision available) and rebooted but no way... EHCI nowhere to be seen in the Bios... bThe problems however didn't stop here... at first I could only see or boot WIndows even with AHCI... until I changed the boot order,,,

Then I could only boot Snow Leopard... Both the ML Boots got F***ed up and I was getting messages such as

PHY reset is blocked due to SOL /IDER Session...wtf??? for my Intel82566 and in addition to this There were some weird Audio messages I hadn't seen before...

Screw that I thought and went to one of my backups... and lo and behold I did have the good sense to save the working DSDT previously mentioned after all.... EVERYTHING works apart from the sleep problem I originally posted. The only issue here really is that I still need GraphicsEnabler=y or I boot to a Monitor going to sleep,,, and I also need to use Netkas's patched IOPCIFamily or there's no spinner under the apple at boot and the EHCI patch doesn't stick.

I tried eliminating the extra folder on the SL partition but nothing doing... The EHCI patch works on ML but not on SL it seems... and none of the sound fixes work so have to use Voodoo. I did mention I played with sound on SL for 2 years and never got it to work with anything but Voodoo. I could get it to appear as an installed device etc with the patched AppleHDA... but no good to me at all if there is still no sound coming out of the speakers!!!

Prior to re-discovering this DSDT which I put together from scratch using the hacks in DSDTSE (clueless to what I was doing) I again tried re-patching even a clean DSDT's PCI0 and continuously ran into audio-related issues on reboot that prevented the OS from starting. Dunno what I did wrong but this works for me pretty much every time now and the only issue really bugging me anymore is the inability to sleep due to 1394 preventing the cpu from taking a kip!

I'm attaching the 'kit'.... I reverted to a base org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist for the time being... may test later with Gringo's versions

Attached Files

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,108 posts
ACPI tables are part of the BIOS.

You have updated your BIOS, it is highly recommended that you extract DSDT on Windows and patch it all over again.

It's possible that using the DSDT from the 2009 BIOS with the 2011 BIOS is causing all these new issues.

Besides, consider that the new DSDT might be a better starting point than the old one. Who knows, maybe they fixed something, two years is a long time.

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
... since updating the bios and replacing the dsdt I have eliminated most of the issues...

I repeat: The only issue troubling me now is that of Sleep... The other behaviours I mentioned are pretty much as they were before... IE, that of using the original IOPCIFamily as opposed to Netkas's patched one...

At least I now have a working mouse and keyboard again without need for EHCIacquire.....

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
well if audio worked after I patched your HDA section, you could add just that part replacing what's there now in the process and not have to use Voodoo at least. Just make a back up copy first. Don't know what to say about your EHCI issues, another one of the downsides to helping while not in front of your computer with you is trouble shooting pesky little issues is pretty hard from afar :(

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
@eep.... Most definitely but the effort much appreciated!

As mentioned... the dsdt I just uploaded is one I thought I'd lost.....I was working with this just before I started this thread. Not sure if it uses the same appleHDA as yours but indeed Voodoo went out the window at this point... Been using either the patched version with dsdt or the legacy + enabler at different points while testing.

just wish someone knew what to do with regard to the firewire problem - seems that it doesn't want to sleep when the cpu does.... (at least not in a mac environment!). Disabling it is not the solution. I'm in a situation where EHCI is now (correctly or not) enabled in the DSDT and I don't need the fix. I need to have this much to have any hope of getting the cpu to sleep... at least with it enabled I can wake the monitor from sleep. Sleep works to the extent that it seems to pause any working apps etc... simply doesn't shut off the cpu... and fans keep running...

Must test this much out on WIndows at least.... see what exactly happens when I sleep the machine... I think it does shut off the cpu though.

As previously mentioned though... with the 10.8.1 update Netkas's patched IOPCIFamily.kext becomes a liability and I have to run with the unpatched version or I cannot boot. Running with the unpatched loses the spinner.... and somehow makes the EHCI patch redundant... i.e. cannot wake the monitor with the mouse anymore...

I wonder if its impossible....

TUX FIRE

TUX FIRE

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hello

I have 6 SSDT Tables, extracted from lavalys (win 7) how can rename them ? SSDT-1.aml...like that ? and i'll put them all in the extra folder ? i'm using a generic ssdt and i have only p-states, no c-states. mine is i5-2450M (2,5Ghz)

Thank you.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,108 posts
Name them as explained here in the link I posted earlier in the thread:
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=225766

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
wait...Firewire problem?

TUX FIRE

TUX FIRE

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
When i put all my ssdt tables (6 tables) in Extra folder and i reboot, i got a KP (problem with AICPM), i'm using, "DropSSDT" and generate c state in chameleon boot file :/
Any idea ?

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
@eep - see code - end of post #3

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
Disabling it IS the solution as GV said, at least until you know you can make it sleep properly with Firewire disabled. Once your sleeping like a baby, then look into re-enabling it for all your Firewire devices (assuming you have Firewire devices hooked up since disabling is an issue). I would make Firewire the very last thing to worry about enabling and 3rd party card can be had for cheap if it came down to it. I have Firewire 800 external RAID array and could get by without Firewire for quite a while, and/or just enable when I needed it. Or I think I have a few firewire PCI cards laying around if you want one for a couple bucks plus shipping.

To see your current sleep/power management setting in terminal:

pmset -g

for a list of assertions that may prevent sleep:

pmset -g assertions

When i put all my ssdt tables (6 tables) in Extra folder and i reboot, i got a KP (problem with AICPM), i'm using, "DropSSDT" and generate c state in chameleon boot file :/
Any idea ?

NullCPUpowermanagement.kext removed? sounds like it tho. Your trying to add C-states via SSDT, why also via chameleon?I don't know that it's the cause of your KP, but maybe try just one or the other.

Gringo Vermelho

Gringo Vermelho

The Jan Bird fix

• Supervisors
  • 6,108 posts
My motherboard has the exact same Firewire controller. The code for it that I added to his DSDT earlier is the same as I have in mine and sleep works. I'm running 10.7.4 though.

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Eep... I did disable the firewire at several stages during the various tests - but as mentioned,,,it reboots the machine instead of wakes it up...

Heres the pmset -g info (but no idea what it means or what to do/how to...

Active Profiles:
AC Power -1*
Currently in use:
hibernatemode 0
sleep 0 (sleep prevented by 12070)
disksleep 0
powerbutton 1
ttyskeepawake 1
hibernatefile /var/vm/sleepimage
autorestart 1
displaysleep 20

Obviously The sleep 12070 is the issue...

Likewise the assertions,,,, ???? wot???

9/3/12 8:57:10 PM GMT-05
Assertion status system-wide:
   PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep	0
   PreventSystemSleep			 0
   PreventUserIdleSystemSleep	 1
   ExternalMedia				  0
   UserIsActive				   0
   ApplePushServiceTask		   0
   BackgroundTask				 0

Listed by owning process:
  pid 1185(coreaudiod): [0x0000000100001893] 00:37:33 NoIdleSleepAssertion named: "com.apple.audio.'AppleHDAEngineOutput:1B,2,1,2:0'.noidlesleep"
  pid 12070(iTunes): [0x0000000100001894] 00:37:33 PreventUserIdleSystemSleep named: "Nameless (via IOPMAssertionCreate)"

Kernel Assertions: 0x0132
* Kernel Assertion ID = 500
   Created At = 9/2/12 3:17:49 PM GMT-05
   Modified At = 9/2/12 10:02:14 PM GMT-0
   Owner ID = 0xffffff800a869000
   Level = 0
   Assertions Set = None (4)

* Kernel Assertion ID = 501
   Created At = 9/2/12 3:17:53 PM GMT-05
   Modified At = 9/2/12 3:23:18 PM GMT-05
   Owner ID = 0xffffff800a7e8000
   Level = 255

* Kernel Assertion ID = 502
   Created At = 9/2/12 3:19:32 PM GMT-05
   Modified At = 12/31/69 7:00:00 PM GMT-
   Owner ID = 0xffffff806a481000
   Level = 0

* Kernel Assertion ID = 503
   Owner ID = 0xffffff806a490000
   Level = 0

* Kernel Assertion ID = 504
   Owner ID = 0xffffff806a48d000
   Level = 0

* Kernel Assertion ID = 505
   Created At = 9/2/12 3:19:43 PM GMT-05
   Modified At = 9/2/12 3:34:04 PM GMT-05
   Owner ID = 0xffffff806a496000
   Level = 255

* Kernel Assertion ID = 506
   Owner ID = 0xffffff806a487000
   Level = 0

* Kernel Assertion ID = 507
   Owner ID = 0xffffff806a484000
   Level = 0

* Kernel Assertion ID = 631
   Created At = 9/3/12 8:50:04 PM GMT-05
   Owner ID = 0xffffff800aabfc00
   Level = 255
   Assertions Set = None (128)

Although I've been using computers for decades now and consider myself relatively computer savvy.. teis is one area that's totally over my head... Don't even know where to start...

@Gringo... I tried and tried to get stuff working with your dsdt....but it wasn't resolving the issues.... leading me to believe at least with sleep the solution must lie elsewhere...

1)WIth the Dsdt patched as mentioned I can get the monitor etc to sleep but not the dsdt.
2) If I disable 1394 in the bios,,,, I sleep the computer and bam... no mouse, no keyboard anymore.... I do believe I even had difficulaty to boot afterwards even with EHCIacquire=y in the boot.plist...

Round and Round in circles in other words----

PS - looking at the above I now see 2 messages related to audio (no firewire)????

Killed both processes... no change!

kernel[0]: System sleep prevented by pci11c1,5811
local WindowServer[237]: handle_will_sleep_auth_and_shield_windows: no lock state data
com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.sleepservicesd[12208]): Exited: Killed: 9

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
You say at the begining of you last post, if you disable firewire, the computer reboots its self instead of wakes up. Then later say if you disable 1394(firewire) in bios you have no mouse or keyboard, which is it? Never seen firewire cause usb issues before, but anything is possible I guess.

"1)WIth the Dsdt patched as mentioned I can get the monitor etc to sleep but not the dsdt."- I have no idea what that means.

If something is preventing sleep, for example firewire, and disabling it allows it to go to sleep, but reboots on wake or wakes with problems, it just means that you have more than one issue, the first being whats preventing sleep and then whatever else is causing problems after that, but if you then re-enable what is preventing sleep, you'll never get to find out what your other problems are and end up running in circles. You shouldn't need working keyboard and mouse to test sleep, computers power button can sleep and wake the computer, at which point unplugging and replugging them in may get them working again. I'm not saying any of this is the final solution, only for the sake of trouble shooting to help you pinpoint your issue

TUX FIRE

TUX FIRE

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yes i use a patch appleintelcpupwrmanagement for M.Lion, and KP is related to the same kext

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Supervisors
  • 2,527 posts
TUX FIRE: you may need to incorporate your SSDT tables into your DSDT's PR scope, I don't have a SB so can't say for sure the exact process, but it would be best to start a new thread.

Squidderlee: I'm amazed that DSDT is working for you, I was going to swap the HDEF since you said the other one worked, but once I saw this, I decided not to touch it. :(
Attached File  SQUIDSDT.png   280.94KB   43 downloads
And you have GPU entry at both PEGP@30000 and POP1@10000
The fact this works at all, let alone better, means......IDK what it means, but it ain't right

On an unrelated side note, probably not the best idea use "Admin" as either your computer name, username or anything else

and delete fw0 from network prefs pane

Squidderlee

Squidderlee

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
eep.... I have to use the power button..... that reboots.... rather than wakes although I have enabled wake with power button...

WIth the Dsdt patched as mentioned I can get the monitor etc to sleep but not the cpu (sorry!)

Will look into the stuff you mentioned tho'

Thanks as ever!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy