What is Speedstep and how do I patch it?

Squidderlee

75 posts in this topic

add DTGP method to devices?

Edit: found this, although cheaters never win, at the very least it may help as a reference to assist with some entries. Patch from Olarila.com for Intel DP43TF mobo, and of course patch is for use with DSDT Editor, where as Real Men use DSDTSE :)

DP43TF.txt

• Like 1

Thanks man (and thanks OldNapalm/Mald0n!), that's useful, doesn't feel that much like cheating, I already did most of what's in there.

Squidder posted a clean DSDT extracted on Windows with Everest that I've been working on and it doesn't have any floppy controller or LPT code in it, as well as a bunch of other devices scheduled for removal in the patch..hmm that's odd.

I'll try to run the Olarila patch against the vanilla DSDT and see what happens.

I have the same USB controller (ICH10/ICH10R) and his code is exactly like mine now but he needs USBBusFix and I've never used it. There must be something else in the way. Let's see if the new DSDT works for him.

/EDIT

DSDT repatched and reattached above. Now to sleep for 4 hours. Meh..this is worse than Diablo II twelve years ago..

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Sorry... didn't get a chance to check back before now...late here so will have to look at this tomorrow evening.

Gringo...by all means if you can fix the audio be my guest.... just saying I have that Nvidia desktop/HDEF code to fall back on if that area goes pear-shape. Having a few issues on my main install...upgraded to 10.8.1 and had issues with my scanner... had two desktop kps.... Hopefully I'll have a bit more stability tomorrow but as I have to babysit my daughter till around 7.30 pm mon-fri I only really have time at night! so please be patient

Not sure if this is cosmetic only, but here is GV's edited DSDT, with added props to Mald0n! and OldNapalm of course, with USB0 changed to UHC1, USB1 to UHC2 etc. And the EHCI's renamed to EHC1 and EHC2

DSDT.aml.zip

Gringo - still will not get a chance to test before tonight but I want to mention something very significant. I mentioned I updated to 10.8.1 above and was getting desktop crashes... so upgraded to 10.8.2 beta and discovered 2 things... one Sophos didn't play nice so I deleted it... On reboot I found that yet again boot was faulting on my old friend IOPCIFamily.kext... Remember that I cannot boot 10.8 without Netkas's patched version of it... Just sits on[ PCI Configuration begin ]

I also mentioned that without the patched version I could not sleep the monitor even as I could not wake it with the mouse or keyboard... eep take note.... however with the patched (but not correctly patched) DSDT with the USB fix I was at least able to do that but could not get the cpu to sleep (THIS IS WHY I WOULD PREFER TO HAVE THE USB FIX!)... In addition without Netkas's patched kext I do not get the spinner on the bootscreen under the apple. The lack of it freaks me out!

So on to 10.8.1 and 10.8.2...

I get KP's with Netkas's patch so had to reinstate the unpatched IOPCIFamily.kext. I rebooted in V...got to PCI CONFIG BEGIN and booted first time... rebooted without flags and as expected No spinner... and now when I sleep the machine supposedly...cannot even wake the monitor as mentioned in this post and have to hard reboot!

Looks as though the fix will have to be built around the unpatched kext.. and not sure if there's a way to bring the spinner back!,,,

However I am restoring 10.8 to my main install for now and will test your latest efforts this evening in the test environment beforehand. I might go into the 10.8 installer and drag our the original IOPCIFamily.kext and try your previous fixes with it prior to this though... although I may not be able to boot as a result----

Hi Gringo,

Addressing your post #25 - I first tried replacing Netkas's patched IOPCIFamily.kext with the standard 10.8 version before replacing the plists and DSDT... tried booting 3 times and as always with this kext... problems, problems!

This time

2hn55xc.jpg

So swapped it back replacing it with Netkas's version (but remember I cannot boot 10.8.1 or 10.8.2beta with Netkas's version... weird stuff!

Got to the login screen and nothin' doing as before so rebooted with EHCIacquire=y only and no problem logging in this time...

However:

NO SOUND

250if5l.png

at this point I tried patching the NVcard and HDAU device methods myself,,, compiled fine but in DSDTSE something odd... no matter how many times I compiled the dsdt the HDAU code never appeared in the saved version... yet in text wrangler the code is there!!! (DSDTSE buggy???)

tried loading an AppleHDA.kext I patched myself from the install disk... and rebooting...still no sound

replaced it with Toledo's patched version for DSDT enabled audio...rebooted... still nothing... Looks like the only way I'm gonna get sound there is with HDA Enabler for now... Not sure if the edits did this...

Sleep is as before - monitor sleeps and responds to mouse but cpu does not sleep...

just a question here though shouldnt ncpi value be 0x3000 as opposed to 2000? (as I understand it Sl was 1000, Lion 2000and ML 3000. I've never had to use it previously and whenever I did it had no effect...

Files you requested Admin’s Mac Pro.zip Screens.zip

try version I posted above, it is same as GV's, but changed USB UHCI and EHCI names to match real mac. For HDMI audio using HDAU, apple HDA must be loaded, so no audio, will still be no audio, even if DSDT edit was right. I'll take another look too, we were all up kinda late last night :)

and npci=0x3000 will help in Lion+ for some people, if your stuck at pci configuration begin

OK, I see problem with audio, HDEF completely missing in DSDT. 5 mins

here, HDEF added and HDMI audio. You will still possibly need patched appleHDA.kext

DSDT.aml.zip

Thanks eep....

Will have a crack at tomorrow I hope... Having an early one here for a change... only 1am!!! hahaha

Ate something dodgy last night or today and it took more out of me than I wanted... tired, headache and sore throat... guess no more play for today

c'ya tomorrow!

btw... "AppleHDA must be loaded" - I was using a version I patched myself and also the Mouldy Beest version I mentioned (Toledo's patched version for DSDT enabled Audio) which previously worked with Device (HDAU) and no helper... problem here though is that although the nVidia info now showed up in system profiler,,,, I could not boot even still without GraphicsEnabler=.

I was in contact with toledo who gave me info on patching the AppleHDA some more to get 5:1 etc... and for HDMI to show up as HDMI in Audio Midi... really what I'd like to achieve is 5:1 playback through my Creative Inspire system and also be able to get proper 5:1 via the TV... but I reckon HDMI is no longer really a biggie as I bought a cheap-O Panasonic Bluray player at the weekend and am more than happy with it...plays frikkin everything... m4v, mp4, divx HD etc.. Bought a Philips DVD player only about 2 years ago for around what I paid for this... plays naff all and I always had to re-edit movies several times to get rid on the damn boxes around them... it did offer 16:9 but not full screen,,, anyhows... kinda as mentioned to Gringo... more after 5:1 for gaming and ac3 5.1 / 3:2 more than anything... or even full DTS...

outta here... catch y'all later!

BTW... love your slogan about Interests--anything shorter than 5 minutes... Shame! Jethro Tull Thick as a Brick totally lost on ya then...;)

Hi eep...

I played around with your dsdt for hours and hours like a dog with a bone... no sound, wake still the same and had to boot with ehciacquire...

Finally wiped the entire OS installation and reinstalled... amazingly was able to boot with the standard IOPCIFamily.kext but no spinner,,, was able to boot with EHCIacquire=y but sleep as mentioned before... puts monitor to sleep but cannot wake with Mouse, keyboard etc so have to hard boot.

Tried patching the Sound and graphics in DSDT... rebooted... no mouse rot keyboard even with ehciacquire, USBBusFix etc..totally dead... Suggesting that even the slightest tweak to the DSDT without a proper EHCI fix will totally kill my mouse and keyboard functionality! Total killer...

Feel like I'm running round and round in circles here.

As mentioned too, to make matters worse - updates to 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 will require the standard unpatched IOPCIFamily.kext meaning that any and all fixes really should be made around the standard version. I cannot even test this until I get the system running eithout a USBBusFix or EHCI fix... now maybe you can see my point about USBBusFix bot being a good thing,,,,

Whatever the outcome - wondering if it'll ever be possible to get the spinner back in the standard IOPCIFamily.... Hate not having it!

Anyhow... long evening it's been and off to bed... (just wish I still had that badly patched DSDT I mentioned that basically let me work without USB or EHCI fixes and gave me sound. Would have been a much better place to start from... cannot remember what I did to get that far... all it needed was the sleep fix... (and that means sorting out the firewire problem,,,,

This is why I asked for photos of his BIOS screens earlier. It appears that there isn't, I only saw a setting to disable legacy USB IIRC.

What can I say other than "great minds think alike"
  • Like 1

In the DSDT too - nowhere to be found although there is an EHC1 entry???? yeah, I know.... Here we are talking bout getting Intel Mac to run on Intel Hardware... and we seem to have few or no issues at all with Gigglybits and Asus.... but when it comes to Intel???? Wow,,,,, Brave New World!

In the DSDT too - nowhere to be found although there is an EHC1 entry???? yeah, I know.... Here we are talking bout getting Intel Mac to run on Intel Hardware... and we seem to have few or no issues at all with Gigglybits and Asus.... but when it comes to Intel???? Wow,,,,, Brave New World!

Hmmm...I'm 80.86% sure it's there, because I added it. Unpatched it would only appear in same way on real mac. Downloading the same one again that I uploaded to look.......

Editor .jpgEditor -1.jpg

On HDEF, I added it with super generic Layout ID of 12 aka 0x0C 0x00 0x00 0x00 where as using specific one for your audio codec may be best, i.e. alc889a/885 layout ID 0x75 0x03 0x00 0x00 or if patching native ML appleHDA.kext layout ID of 1 aka 0x01 0x00 0x00 0x00

Now I have ICH10-R as well with no USB issues, but I use very complex method of injecting them via DSDT requiring many lines of code:

}
		Device (EHC1)		//begins here//
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001D0007)
			Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
			{
				Return (GPRW (0x0D, 0x04))
			}
		}               //ends here//
		Device (UHC4)
		{

Will take a look again later eep... btw, the audio on my board is VERY particular... didn't play nice with most kexts and was using Voodoo for years til I discovered a legacy patched 888 worked with it a few weeks ago,,, Sound is much better certainly Volume and a few other things and no occasional kp's. That said with both Gringo's and your dsdt's to date audio is a serious no-show. Again Booting with EHCIacquire=n.... likewise a no-go

As to the firewire issue... found a russian forum and translated the page with google... from what I gather the firewire has it's own power management override and its this that's preventing the CPU from sleeping... no idea how one patches that!

Look at your code... the device you added is EHC1 (one) and not EHCI (eye).... I believe it's the latter that needs to be in the DSDT to allow disablement of the fix (or am I mistaken?)

No, it's supposed to be EHC1 (one) and EHC2 (two) along with UHC1 (one), UHC2 (two) , UHC3 (three), etc. which is why I included the screen shots of it opened in DSDTSE. I can recompile using simplified entries that I use and see if it works any better.. Did not know off hand what audio codec you have so is why it was generic, but can include a couple different options for alc888 with little trouble. Just take a few mins.

Here is DSDT with edits for alc88 to be used with your appleHDA, includes stripped down EHCI entries. 2nd one is the same but uses ML pin config and includes ML alc888 kext (assuming your running ML, if not, don't use either of these and only use the alc888 one)

DSDTwMLhda.zip

DSDTalc888traditional.zip

Gentlemen, Sorry for the delay...

@eep

I started out with your latest DSDT,,,, audio worked, but still no mouse or keyboard. I guess the frustration took hold here so I decided to check out my boards BIOS updates in the hope they may have added in someplace the EHCI Handover you mentioned... In a way I'm glad I did as the revision I was running was early 2009.. flashed it to Jan 2011 (latest revision available) and rebooted but no way... EHCI nowhere to be seen in the Bios... bThe problems however didn't stop here... at first I could only see or boot WIndows even with AHCI... until I changed the boot order,,,

Then I could only boot Snow Leopard... Both the ML Boots got F***ed up and I was getting messages such as

PHY reset is blocked due to SOL /IDER Session...wtf??? for my Intel82566 and in addition to this There were some weird Audio messages I hadn't seen before...

Screw that I thought and went to one of my backups... and lo and behold I did have the good sense to save the working DSDT previously mentioned after all.... EVERYTHING works apart from the sleep problem I originally posted. The only issue here really is that I still need GraphicsEnabler=y or I boot to a Monitor going to sleep,,, and I also need to use Netkas's patched IOPCIFamily or there's no spinner under the apple at boot and the EHCI patch doesn't stick.

I tried eliminating the extra folder on the SL partition but nothing doing... The EHCI patch works on ML but not on SL it seems... and none of the sound fixes work so have to use Voodoo. I did mention I played with sound on SL for 2 years and never got it to work with anything but Voodoo. I could get it to appear as an installed device etc with the patched AppleHDA... but no good to me at all if there is still no sound coming out of the speakers!!!

Prior to re-discovering this DSDT which I put together from scratch using the hacks in DSDTSE (clueless to what I was doing) I again tried re-patching even a clean DSDT's PCI0 and continuously ran into audio-related issues on reboot that prevented the OS from starting. Dunno what I did wrong but this works for me pretty much every time now and the only issue really bugging me anymore is the inability to sleep due to 1394 preventing the cpu from taking a kip!

I'm attaching the 'kit'.... I reverted to a base org.chameleon.boot.plist and smbios.plist for the time being... may test later with Gringo's versions

Extra.zip

IOReg.zip

notes.zip

ACPI tables are part of the BIOS.

You have updated your BIOS, it is highly recommended that you extract DSDT on Windows and patch it all over again.

It's possible that using the DSDT from the 2009 BIOS with the 2011 BIOS is causing all these new issues.

Besides, consider that the new DSDT might be a better starting point than the old one. Who knows, maybe they fixed something, two years is a long time.

... since updating the bios and replacing the dsdt I have eliminated most of the issues...

I repeat: The only issue troubling me now is that of Sleep... The other behaviours I mentioned are pretty much as they were before... IE, that of using the original IOPCIFamily as opposed to Netkas's patched one...

At least I now have a working mouse and keyboard again without need for EHCIacquire.....

well if audio worked after I patched your HDA section, you could add just that part replacing what's there now in the process and not have to use Voodoo at least. Just make a back up copy first. Don't know what to say about your EHCI issues, another one of the downsides to helping while not in front of your computer with you is trouble shooting pesky little issues is pretty hard from afar :(

@eep.... Most definitely but the effort much appreciated!

As mentioned... the dsdt I just uploaded is one I thought I'd lost.....I was working with this just before I started this thread. Not sure if it uses the same appleHDA as yours but indeed Voodoo went out the window at this point... Been using either the patched version with dsdt or the legacy + enabler at different points while testing.

just wish someone knew what to do with regard to the firewire problem - seems that it doesn't want to sleep when the cpu does.... (at least not in a mac environment!). Disabling it is not the solution. I'm in a situation where EHCI is now (correctly or not) enabled in the DSDT and I don't need the fix. I need to have this much to have any hope of getting the cpu to sleep... at least with it enabled I can wake the monitor from sleep. Sleep works to the extent that it seems to pause any working apps etc... simply doesn't shut off the cpu... and fans keep running...

Must test this much out on WIndows at least.... see what exactly happens when I sleep the machine... I think it does shut off the cpu though.

As previously mentioned though... with the 10.8.1 update Netkas's patched IOPCIFamily.kext becomes a liability and I have to run with the unpatched version or I cannot boot. Running with the unpatched loses the spinner.... and somehow makes the EHCI patch redundant... i.e. cannot wake the monitor with the mouse anymore...

I wonder if its impossible....

Hello

I have 6 SSDT Tables, extracted from lavalys (win 7) how can rename them ? SSDT-1.aml...like that ? and i'll put them all in the extra folder ? i'm using a generic ssdt and i have only p-states, no c-states. mine is i5-2450M (2,5Ghz)

Thank you.