GA-X58A-UD5 runs sluggish if NO audio is playing :P?

palithius

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

Board: GA-X58A-UD5 rev 2.0

CPU: Intel i7 930

Graphics: nVidia 9800 GT

BIOS VERSION: FD

I have a GA-X58A-UD5 that I've run for two years with Snow Leopard and Lion with the help of d00d's excellent guide for Gigabyte X58A boards (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=196771).

For Mountain Lion, I decided to upgrade my BIOS from version FA to FD. I grabbed a new stock image of dsdt.dsl and went through d00d's guide to fix all errors and make all necessary modifications and buitlt a new dsdt.aml with it. I then installed Mountain Lion. I was able to get ML to boot and I was able to get in, but I noticed it was quite sluggish. I thought maybe the problem it was with the hard disks because my Geekbench score looked about right, BUT when I turned on iTunes and started playing back music, the entire system began to respond smoothly again! I know that sounds a bit crazy but there it is. If the headset is not plugged in, or if it is plugged in but no music plays back, the system gets sluggish again. It only works properly when it is running some kind of multimedia playback. It also works if I go to youtube and playback any video. Again, the moment I stop playing back anything, it gets sluggish again. Any ideas you can throw out there would be appreciated.

thanks,

pali

Having made so many changes all at once makes it much harder to pinpoint, but my first guess would be that it's related to your GPU if there are no system performance problems in geekbench and just "feels" slow. Run any GPU tests that you can compare to Lion and verify that card is loaded with hardware acceleration fully working. Otherwise gotta start looking at DSDT, bios, and maybe more. Did you put all your bios settings back to how they were before it was updated and audio set to HD audio and not AC97? Azalia removed from DSDT and replaced with HDEF if present?

eep, thanks for the reply.

I thought about what you said and I grabbed a copy of a dsdt.aml off the net for my board and new BIOS and the issues appear to not be there any longer....so I must have mucked things up when I re-made my dsdt.dsl myself. Not sure I should be satisfied using someone else's dsdt but I think it has at least identified where the problem was.

thanks!

• Like 1