• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

aao_pink

aao_pink

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Title says it. Gigabyte P55A-UD3 mobo, i5-760 2.8Ghz, 4GB Kingston DDR3-1333Mhz,
Nvidia 8400GS,
WDC WD3200AVJS-63B6A0 partitioned GPT, 60G Mint Linux, 200G Users, 60G MacOS 10.6.8,
I've been using a naughty bootloader, with dsts, intending to move to MyHack.

Snow Leopard went in fine first go, has run fine for years (?). I chucked Ubuntu off the *nix volume because I got tired of it breaking drivers at upgrades. I agreed with those who said Lion was Apple's Vista. Now I would like to try 10.8 on a separate volume, not a direct upgrade yet. But the Appstore tells me,

We could not complete your purchase
We could not complete your purchase. OS X
Mountain Lion is not compatible with this computer.

System profiler tells me I have a MacPro 3,1 I used Champlist to assign plausible bootrom and s/nr values, extract attached. I read somewhere that amongst the ML install requirement is a need for S/L/E/AppleSMC.kext version at least 4. My "real" version is 3.1.0d5, but I do have /Extra/Extensions/FakeSMC.kext v.4.2.0. Now looking too deep I get confused, see the SystemProfiler extract which says SMC Version(system): 1.25f4. Alrighty, do ioreg -l -w0 |grep SMC and the result is attached.

The AppStore appears to d/l and run the installer Preflight check before letting you buy. Conveniently it leaves a copy at
/Users/~/Library/Application Support/AppStore/<9figure-index>/preflight.pfpkg
The "Distribution" xml script extracted is also attached here, zipped.
Have I fallen off the edge of the upgrade cycle? Is there something simple stupid I've missed?

Attached Files

ne0shell

ne0shell

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
You cannot run the native installer to upgrade your mac. I have the same mobo and almost identical hardware.

What you need to do is buy the ML installer from app store then use a 3rd party tool to convert it to a USB drive installer or DVD based installer.

I use the USB tool, installed the update just fine and once I got past some reboot issues was able to install my kexts and DSDT. ML is running great, much better than SL ever ran on my system.

aao_pink

aao_pink

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
I'm not using Software Update. I open the AppStore.app and navigate to the Mountain Lion page. Then when I click on buy, it barfs. Looking thru their support pages it may be possible it doesn't like my 1Mbit/s link, Apple's servers can't manitain a connection for 8 hours?

eep357

eep357

Triple Platinum

• Retired
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:things and stuff
Rather than spend hours trouble shooting a system that you plan to replace as soon as you succeed, can you get access to a real mac to buy and download it on, then copy the installer app to a usb and copy it to your computer and go from there? 1mb/s would be slow for LAN, but a 1mb/s internet connection would be fine, take you an hour to DL ML

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy