Windows 8 belongs on older PCs like a fish needs a bicycle

Alessandro17

14 posts in this topic

I had an ASUS 1201NL netbook not long back, kept it on XP because 7 felt laggy on it. When the 8 DP came out I tried it on the netbook and it felt as snappy as XP. Interestingly I fully believe the 8 base is a big improvement over 7 and would offer a speed boost on older (current 7) systems. IMHO 7 is a fantastic operating system and 8 with a start menu could have really kicked some ass.

But considering my main use of 7 is software such as Matlab / Xilinx / Eclipse / Visual Studio / Cubase am I going to be using metro (or whatever they've changed the name to) on my 2 x 22" 1080p mointor setup? No. My PC isn't a tablet and it isn't a toy; which is a shame because it seems windows almost did something good; I was initially impressed with 8 until I tried to use it.

I'm and engineering student and an advanced computer user - I had to google how to shut 8 down. {censored}. That.

• Like 2

I'm not adverse to learning how to navigate through a new UI. I question the need for the new UI but recognize that the iPad really has changed the computer landscape and Microsoft had to do something to respond to that. The one thing I am certain of is this: after all the initial bitching and moaning has passed, innovative users will develop ways to use the new UI to make it quicker and more intuitive than it is now. In the meantime, everything I have read and experienced in my use of the consumer preview leads me to believe that, as Windows 7 was more resource-efficient than Vista, so too will Win 8 be more resource-efficient than Win 7. At least one of the major OS creator is looking to make its OS more resource-efficient. I will certainly be able to use Win 8 with my X3100 graphics chip. Not so with ML.

• Like 1

My girlfriend and I tried it for a few...... hours. We hated it. It shouldn't be a PC operation system, but instead, a tablet OS only in my opinion. I thought it would be nice at first though, thinking, "Ok, it's going to be faster." It was fast, but I also removed it just as fast. If I'm going to use Windows, I'm sticking to 7. Sorry Microsoft, I guess I'm just not "Metro" enough.

• Like 1

When we had windows 8 on our machines, it took us a while to figure out how to get things installed and running. And honestly, It wasn't that great. I just think this new "Metro" look should be more of a theme instead of an actual operating system. As far as the speed goes, You could buy the fastest car in the world, but it's useless without key, gas, tires, etc. So they make a fast operating system but leave out some of the essentials? Hmm.

• Like 1

I loaded win 8 for speed> Dell Mini.Travel PC!

Takes a little getting use to, I think it's main use will be for phones and tablets.

uninstalled most of the programs .

I loaded google chrome> google voice >Ms office . texas holdem> kindel >dropbox.(ebooks)>sykpe

It seems to be more secure,we will see.

i will try linux later , like to play.

I'm sure all members who read post #1 in this thread will be interested to read the following from Jason Perlow, Sr. Technology Editor at ZDNet. He summarises it "My ZDNet colleague and long-time friend Steven J. Vaughn-Nichols thinks that old PCs need Microsoft's latest operating system upgrade like a hole in the head. I fervently disagree."

http://www.zdnet.com/installing-windows-8-on-your-old-pc-could-turn-it-into-greased-lightning-7000002903/

At the end of the day every interested user should try Windows 8 for themselves and decide whether the (minor) speed improvement is worth the usability nightmare. Personally I think not.

The same result could be achieved by optimising Windows 7.

i haven't tried windows8 yet

but never will i try experiencing with it no matter how fast it is

how efficient it is

no time for learning something i don't like at all