Another guy with sleep/wake problems

26 posts in this topic

Hi folks,

After buying the 550 Ti and realizing that neither graphics acceleration nor sleep/wake worked, I sent it back and exchanged it for a 560 (non TI) assuming that those things would finally work.

While graphics acceleration now works fine, I'm having trouble getting the computer to wake up after it goes to sleep. When I sleep the computer the fans, LEDs, and drives are still spinning, but the screen goes black and the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive. Pressing the volume buttons on the keyboard doesn't make any noise, so I know that the computer isn't seeing the input devices. As of yet I have no way of waking the computer up besides holding down the power button and rebooting.

Information:

Hardware:

Core i5

Zotac Nvidia 560

8GB RAM

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H-MVP motherboard

Software:

Mountain Lion 10.8.0

Bootloader: Chimera (I know, I know, sorry)

CUDA drivers successfully installed

Any kexts I should try to get sleep/wake? I installed the one that was supposed to support the 560 from that kext installer that supports a lot of different things... but it didn't help me.

Or could it be a BIOS issue? Is there anything I absolutely must have in the 77-series motherboard's BIOS in order to have functional sleep/wake?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, I'm seeing this issue again after having deleted both the NCPM and the AppleIntelCpu one (after experiencing intermittent kps). Which combination of kexts ought I to keep?

Edit: Also I think I deleted my NCPM.kext backup. Where can I find a new one, provided I need to reinstall it?

NullCPUPowerManagement prevents sleep so you need to delete it. Be prepared to re-install it if you see the AppleIntelCPU... panic though

Hmm, I wonder if that's what's causing my computer's insomnia. myHack 3.1.2 installed ~/Extra/Extensions/NullCPUPowerManagement.kext by default and I didn't know that it prevented sleep. Was this intended to be a temporary file to be removed after everything was up and running? Once I get my backup strategy online, I'll probably try removing the file and see how things work.

Any luck? :(

Actually, no. I tried removing NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and my results were identical to what I experienced when it was installed. I've been talking about it in this thread with Taruga and eep357, so you may want to head over there for some tips.

Getting sleep to work is not a big deal for me so it's low on my fix list.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Having removed NCPM.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, the computer will go to sleep but wake up seconds after sleeping. I've tried different combinations of installing, removing, and patching AppleIntelCPU with no luck. Anyone know how to solve this issue?

Don't remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext, patched is OK but need to also have DSDT and SSDT. Removing it does the exact same thing as having NullCPUPM installed.

to create SSDT you can follow RampageDev's directions here http://rampagedev.wordpress.com/2012/06/30/how-to-make-your-own-ssdt-17-2/

• 2 weeks later...

So I created, compiled, and installed the SSDT as per RevoGirl's instructions, but my Mac wouldn't boot after installing, so I deleted dsdt.aml.

"Clover" is an alternate bootloader? I'm not sure I want to replace the entire bootloader just to get my Mac sleeping.

This worked before... any other help would be appreciated, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

for sleep you need:

SSDT, DSDT ( also on Uefi Boards it is adviseable to have a minimal one, cause then you know, whats happening, but for the beginning try without))

IntelCPUPowermanagement and the correspondent Controller Kext working

( check with MSR Dumper if its speedstepping)

on bios also a patched RTC.kext ( dont know if its needed on UEFI)

( if its rebooting instead of waking)

mostly USB and Graphic Cards are preventing sleep ( look for AAPL intries in IOREG)

and the magic terminal command "pmset -g assertions"

may tell you something

so its a deep digging materia

( and with tony´s installers, you dont see, what is installed, so problems cant be separated)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

(massive bump)

I generated a DSDT with a command line DSDT generator utility. What's the first step I should take to try and figure out how to get sleep working? I need pretty basic instructions... or if anyone could point me to a detailed tutorial I'd appreciate that too.

As far as I know, almost all Gigabyte's Z77 ( with UEFI ) boards are able to sleep and wake out of box. So does my GA-Z77x-UD3H.

I previously experienced a similar problem. I overclocked my machine, and it can sleep only once. (After wake-up, I pressed sleep and nothing happened)

My solution is to disable ``CPU PLL Overvoltage'' in BIOS. Now, with my own SSDT for overclocks, my machine has many Pstates, and proper sleeping and waking-up.

More background : No NCPM nor RTC/AICPM patches, no DSDT.

Hope this would help :)