Installing Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on a custom PC.

23 posts in this topic

Hello fellow hackintoshers,

I was wondering if I was able to install Mac OS X Mountain Lion on a custom built PC I am making/made (depending when I receive a reply),

Here are the specs:

MB: ASUS P5KC

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4Ghz Non-OC

RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR2-667Mhz (2x2GB) (Going to go 8GB or 4GB DDR3 soon (depending))

GPU: GIGABYTE NVidia GeForce 8400GS GDDR2

Sata DVD Drive

HDD(s): 250GB Seagate (SATA), 160GB Hitatchi (SATA)

I am open to installing either a distribution or retail depending which will work fast/best.

Thanks for your reply.

Amazes me that board can use DDR2 or DDR3. Pretty cool, and DDR3 is cheaper. Learn something new every day.

My Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R has that capability too. DDR3 is much faster although I seem to be limited to 8 gigs.

Say I install it on DDR2 RAM can I upgrade to DDR3 and it would still work without needing to re-install Mtn. Lion?

No need to reinstall. The operating system doesn't care as long as the motherboard doesn't care.

Ah OK. Also is there any guides to creating a DSDT.aml for my system?

What you want to do is to search this forum for the method to create a bootable USB stick with Linux on it. It will also tell you how to do a DSDT dump in Linux to create a virgin DSDT file. Then you bring that back over to the Mac side and edit it with a tool like DSDT Editor. Also look for the DSDT Auto Patcher thread for a guide on what you will need to edit, they talk about Asus boards over there. PS, keep a copy of the virgin DSDT archived somewhere, YOU WILL NEED IT as you learn.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I could only get Snow Leopard in but I am trying to upgrade to Mountain Lion or Lion then to Mountain Lion... I create a backup OS of my Snow Leopard Installation as upgrading from 10.6.6 to 10.6.8 was a mountain climb for me.... but I managed to get it on...

My Lion and Mountain Lion installer has locked me out of accessing it as shown below...

post-378074-0-81478700-1346376841_thumb.png

The picture pretty much defines the problem....

Reply to this thread or drop me an email....

Email is more preferred as it is open constantly and this account isn't set up to my alternate email.

My email is crisis.overlord@gmail.com

That error is very weird plus my processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 2.4GHz if you haven't seen my other threads.

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Image attached locally, topics merged

FYI it's highly unlikely that someone would seek you out just help you, ie contact you via email.

You'll probably receive some spam now that your email is live on a public forum that is trawled by spambots every day.

An idea, not sure if it'll help - use champlist (google it) to build a proper smbios.plist using the MacPro3,1 model identifier. Place it in /Extra, reboot, then try again.

Another idea; maybe your customized 'about this mac' has something to do with why it isn't working. Try to undo those changes if you can.

It's recommended that you build your own installer and run it from a HDD partition or USB flash drive rather than running the Lion/Mountain Lion installer from inside your present installation like you would on a real Mac. It's a good thing that you have a backup of your working Snow Leopard installation, this means you are ready to experiment.

There are plenty of guides on how to do it but only really one way - once you have looked at a couple of them you will see that they all outline the same basic steps. Pick one and go for it. You should be able to use the same boot loader configuration and /Extra folder setup that you are using with your Snow Leopard installation with little to no modification.

Sorry about the spam of forums.... Plus Champlist doesn't want to work...

post-378074-0-16824500-1346378531_thumb.png

Edited by Gringo Vermelho
Link removed, image attached locally, again. Please don't use external upload services. Use the full editor to attach files. Thank you.

As I told you via PM, spam is not the issue. The issue is keeping relevant information in the same place so that it can be easily retrieved and used in the future. We are in this together. If everyone sent emails and private messages back and forth, there would be no basis for a forum and we as a collective would not know even half of what we know about installing OS X on PCs.

Taking this line of thought to the extreme, you could say that it's selfish to ask for experienced users to help you via email or private message - ie you get the information we have, but other users will not have access to it.

For the same reasons, images should always be uploaded locally, in the same place as the content they are meant to describe.

Also, although dropbox is not likely to disappear in the near future, upload services come and go.

You're really putting me to work here!

Here, take this: smbios.plist.zip

It's a copy of my own MacPro3,1 smbios.plist, but it has no serial number. Use the information available here...

http://prasys.info/2...-serial-number/

...to create a valid, 11-digit serial number.

• 2 years later...

Ah OK. Also is there any guides to creating a DSDT.aml for my system?

I found a DSDT on hackintoshosx.com