New installation Problems: NVenabler does not work with Kernel

Rowas

13 posts in this topic

I recently began a new installation on a brand new hardware setup that my brother purchased. Specs are as follows:

Motherboard: EVGA SLI Micro P67

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k

Ram: 8GB 1600 DDR3 (GSKill + Kingston, Compatible)

HDD: WD 320GB Caviar

Graphics: Galaxy GTX 460 768MB X2

I began with an installation of Snow Leopard. The installation ran fine, but I discovered that the system would refuse to boot.

After trying for a while, I tried a Lion installation, which ran fine, and I backed up the system image after I made it boot stable (but no graphics, sadly).

However, realizing that to maximize compatibility with all the applications my brother wants, I need to run snow leopard.

After my second attempt, I found out that I needed an alternate kernel to get into the system again. I updated the system to 10.6.8 and installed Nawcom's legacy kernel made for 10.6.8 found here

The kernel works and I can boot into the system with no problem. As it is, I have not experienced kernel panics, but audio, graphics and network are not enabled.

The Problem

So before I began experimenting I made sure to backup the image to have a restore point to go back to whenever things go wrong. I did some research and found a graphics database in which my specific card is shown. It specifies that the Nvidia Driver has to be installed along with NVenabler. I installed the driver and rebooted. Nothing. Then installed NVenabler in which I see the kext reading the roms of both cards and hanging for a long time before it goes through a double panic and cites compatibility issues with the kernel.

So to put everything in a nutshell, I need a kext or method of enabling both cards that play nice with the kernel.

I began with an installation of Snow Leopard. The installation ran fine, but I discovered that the system would refuse to boot.

After trying for a while, I tried a Lion installation, which ran fine, and I backed up the system image after I made it boot stable (but no graphics, sadly).

My english is too bad,but here dont understand nothing,you are run Snow Leopard or Lion?You need Snow or Lion?Or only to enable graphic card?this is not cake,run-change-run another OSX...

and dont need to change kernel-this is not fastburger

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k-this is clean Vanilla,no patched kernel

That system could make a perfect mountain lion hackintosh - why mess about with snow leopard and (unnecessarily) changing kernels? It must be a very obscure piece of software to not have lion support yet.

If your that desperate for snow leopard sell the 460's and get some 285's or ati 5770's - the most up-to-date cards supported by all snow leopard versions.

Also SLI doesn't work in OS X:

http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1386161

Okay. So you're saying that the i7 2600k will work with no changes needed to the kernel.

Here you go:

Image 1: You can see 4 GB of ram installed along with the two video cards

http://i.imgur.com/vU6f9.jpg

Image 2: You can see the exact processor I'm using in the system

http://i.imgur.com/dPEdG.jpg

Video: Here you can see all of the options I have selected for the installation. I have everything stock. These are the options I chose

Chameleon RC5 bootloader

No Graphics enabler

No Sound (kernel panics with voodoo HDA)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLimEsNUohQ

Video: Here you can see what happens when I try to boot the computer. The screen goes black and there are no verbose messages

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z14CexT-aBw

Edit: The reason why I need Snow leopard on this machine is primarily because it is the last version that works with Pro Tools 8. Lion does not work with that version, so until we are able to get Pro Tools 9, I cannot install Lion just yet. And as for changing out the video cards, I definitely will roll with ATI cards for all my future builds, but these have to stay for right now.

I know SLI won't work in Mac, but I know for a fact that multiple video cards are feasible.

The i7 will definitly work with no changes to kernel. The legacy kernel is for legacy Intel or AMD CPU's.

Using iAtkos is just begging for trouble and illegal. The best advice I can give you is do a clean install, update to 10.6.8, update chameleon to the latest version, install the nvidia drivers, and set GraphicsEnabler=yes.

Failing that install by vanilla method and do the same then I would be surprised if you had any issues.

The i7 will definitly work with no changes to kernel. The legacy kernel is for legacy Intel or AMD CPU's.

Using iAtkos is just begging for trouble and illegal. The best advice I can give you is do a clean install, update to 10.6.8, update chameleon to the latest version, install the nvidia drivers, and set GraphicsEnabler=yes.

Failing that install by vanilla method and do the same then I would be surprised if you had any issues.

Good to know. I wasn't exactly aware of all of the legal aspects of the installer. I just used it because of the ease of using it on a usb stick.

To update on the situation, the installation would not boot up on 10.6.3. Nonetheless, I updated to 10.6.8 and installed an IOPCIfamily kext to solve a PCI configuration error, and boot up with no problem whatsoever.

I proceeded to install the Nvidia driver update, rebooted with no graphics support, then installed NVenabler which I was hoping would work.

It does not. It continues to hang on verbose boot. However, the bright side is that at least I'm running on the stock kernel now, which is great.

So any recommendations on an enabler/kext?

Latest version of chameleon can be found here:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=231075

Install that and boot with GraphicsEnabler=yes.

If your new to the scene you may wish to look at installers like myhack or search this forum for a vanilla snow leopard guide. The "Vanilla" method keeps everything as original as possible then you slowly add bits you require to make it work (you'd be surprised how few). Installers such as iAtkos or the *beast stuff take a throw everything-at-it-and-hope-something-sticks approach which makes it very hard to diagnose problems.

You can use chameleon wizard to set certain boot arguments:

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=257464

Probably wouldn't hurt to set use nvidia rom on.

Failing that you'd have to wait for someone else to chime in.

Although it could be worth pulling one of the graphics cards to see if it works with only one.

Oh also a screenshot of where it hangs on verbose boot would be helpful

Yes, well I'm relatively new, although I've done three successful installations on a laptop, an old pentium computer (which I now use as a file server, amusingly), and my main system which is an i7 with 24GB Ram and a GTX480. They all worked with the same method with simply different options selected at the install. This made testing really easy as they are all in the same place.

In the future, I suppose it will be a lot cleaner if I go with the stock disk, although I would need to know exactly which kexts I want to install.

Update:

So I went ahead and removed NVenabler, rebuilt caches and permissions, installed latest Chameleon, used Chameleon wizard to adjust boot properties (enabled Nvidia Rom as well), and booted the system.

This yielded no graphics support as of yet.