nForce OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

217 posts in this topic

@ ErOSx86

Success this time........even Apple release 'problem' apps......LOL

I will look at a DSDT graphics patch for you as soon as I can find some free time........work is always very busy for me....I will PM you the DSDT to try as it could take a few iterations to get it working because of the dual PCB....

I may not have time until the weekend.......

Edited by verdant
  • Like 1

Thank you verdant, that will be amazing :) thanks for all the help!

When ever works best for you, i barely find time myself, which is why I keep coming back to the PC and getting OSX to work on it. So many thanks in advance!

Some other notes, I tried to do a stress test on the SATA last night, which seemed to always be the issue. I used your lion and mountain lion support files folder and duplicated them many times and compressed them to produce a zip file of about 2.5GB, I then had the computer uncompress it, duplicate it more etc... I was able to get sustained read and write at (i think about 50mb/s, peaking at 100mb/s if memory serves).

Now this is only on disk operations, So i dont know if its a real test i can rely on but previously that kind of stuff would have OSX lock up... so i think the changes to the bios made a big difference :) Iv saved your nforce bios setup table for future reference. I will continue to test things and play around with the system.

@ MegaloDon

See Post #6 Issue 1.......also confirm

1. That in your BIOS you have set them according to my OS X settings template for 780i chipset MOBOs (see here in the section 'BIOS SETTINGS TEMPLATE FOR 750i, 780i, 790i and 790i Ultra NVIDIA nForce Series 7 MCP chipset based Intel CPU MOBOs'; especially:

RAID Enable [Enabled]

SATA 0 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 0 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 1 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 1 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 2 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 2 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

to allow you to set the Serial-ATA Controller to [All Enabled].....this because when you set RAID Enable to [Disabled], all SATA functions are changed to Disabled.

2. That you have a IDE (PATA) DVDRW jumper-set and connected to the MOBO as Master via an 80-wire IDE cable; see here in the section 'CORRECT IDE (PATA) DEVICE JUMPER SETTING AND CABLE CONNECTING'

1. I have already set everything correctly in the BIOS according to the guides.

2. Are you saying that I NEED an IDE DVD drive? I was under the impression that the instructions were only if you have any IDE drives, then you had to set the jumpers. Both my hard drives and Blu-ray writer are SATA.

I'm guessing I will need a modded DSDT. Wouldn't know where to begin on that one. :P

I appreciate all your help.

@ MegaloDon

As far as my own experience goes, the AppleNForceATA.kext does not work with SATA optical drives for read/write operations.....if you want to install OS X via a bootable DVD onto your 780i MOBO PC (but you should be able to BIOS boot from a bootable USB flash drive....?), then you will need an IDE DVD drive connected as Master........

I have tried with USB flash many times and got the same problem. I just tried USB with Pandora (first time) and got further. It got to [ PCI configuration begin ] and hung for a while, then the monitors lost signal and nothing. I tried with PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -v and it got to the grey screen with the twirly cursor then kernel panic'd. Maybe if I got the right combination of flags I could get it to work now. What flags would you try?

Thanks again

@ MegaloDon

You can try booting with

-v npci=0x2000 PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

or if that does not work, try

-v npci=0x3000 PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes

BUT as I said before, read Post #6 Issue 1.......

Also, temporarily disconnect your SATA Blu-ray writer from the MOBO.....

There should be no problem in installing OS X on your 780i MOBO....... but it will be difficult to be of more help because you have not indicated that you are following my nForce Mountain Lion install guide step-by-step for the USB flash drive method......and so I cannot guess why you are having USB installer problems.....

You can also try adding cpus=1 maxmem=2048 to the boot flags.......

Next time you get a screen freeze when booting in verbose mode, post a full screen image showing the boot screen........however I will be offline now for the next 12 to 16 hours......

I did follow your guide step by step with USB and later with DVD and had the previous problems. However I just tried the Pandora USB with PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -x -v and made it to the installer screen!!! YAY! I'll let you know how it goes from there.

@ MegaloDon

Using the -x boot flag boots you in Safe Mode loading only the basic Apple system kexts.......

Hope you install OS X Mountain Lion successfully.......:)

{censored}, it doesn't recognize any of my hard drives (3). My BIOS does not have any settings for AHCI. I thought that by enabling RAID it would assume AHCI. I set up everything in the BIOS according to the the pdf in the guide.

Enabling RAID in BIOS implicitly enables the same essential functionality as AHCI mode, so that is not the issue.

Does your Pandora USB installer contain and hence load the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext when booting..........?

Did you try temporarily disconnecting your SATA Blu-ray writer from the MOBO........?

This is my last post for today......

Does your Pandora USB installer contain and hence load the AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext when booting..........?

No idea. It has very limited options and that's not one of them. I'm assuming it doesn't.

Did you try temporarily disconnecting your SATA Blu-ray writer from the MOBO........?

Yes. No luck.

I tried a different path and cloned the hard drive from my Gigabyte mobo PC which is running ML 10.8.3 and put it in my nForce PC after installing AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext. I got it to boot into safe mode using PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=Yes -x -v. I got the settings in Chameleon so that I only have to use the -x. Just can't figure out what I need to do to boot without safe mode.

@ MegaloDon

When you followed my guide for preparing the nForce USB flash drive OS Mountain Lion installer in Post #1 Part B. Step [8], please confirm that you placed these kexts

FakeSMC.kext

EvOreboot.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

AppleRTC.MLion.Patched.kext

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

from the verdant_Mountain Lion_Support_Files_v1.0 folder, into /Extra/Extensions/ on the USB flash drive Mac OS X Base System volume...

Focus on getting OS X up and running in simple VESA mode, i.e. with all NV* and Ge* kexts temporarily removed from /S/L/E and once you confirm that it is running 100% OK apart from the graphics side, then graphics can be sorted out via a patched DSDT.aml file hopefully......

They will be on the DVD so if you can borrow a IDE DVDRW temporarily you should be able to install OS X using the DVD.......

While unrelated to the problem above, i thought it might be worth it to note...

Sometimes on USB installers, (Flash) depending on the speed of the flash, the installer can sometimes come up, and enter the grey screen just before you get the welcome message, the mouse pointer will turn into the spinning wheel and the computer will not seem to do much. Iv seen via testing when I directly clone the same flash disk to a spare USB hard drive, that the installer is just transferring files around and appears to have crashed, but is actually doing something (even if the activity light doesn't seem to flash)

I found this after waiting for 10minutes with a grey screen, and then getting bored and going to watch TV for a while... when i came back, the installer was waiting for me.

Soooo if you can get into the grey screen, it is often good to leave it until you are very very sure that it is not going to work.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I have tried so many combinations and the only way I can boot into OSX is in safe mode. I'm thinking it must be a kext. If I move all the kexts except the ones I absolutely need to a backup folder, I can see if that is the case and then narrow it down. Can someone please tell me which kexts must be in the extensions folder in order for it to boot so I can test this theory?

@ MegaloDon

FakeSMC.kext

EvOreboot.kext

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

AppleRTC.MLion.Patched.kext

AppleNForceATA.imk64bit.kext

I already knew I needed those and I tried it with only those in it. It will not boot even in safe mode. I had to disconnect the hard drive and hook it up to my other machine running ML and put all the kexts back in and repair permissions before I could get it to boot again in my main computer. There obviously are other kexts it needs in order to boot. I guess I can try trial and error until I figure it out.

Thanks

@ MegaloDon

Have you sorted your audio yet?

Not yet but thanks for asking. I tried various different versions of Voodoo and they seem to work but the volume is so low that if I turn my speakers all the way up I can just hear it. Any suggestions?

Thanks again

I got the volume up where it needs to be by maxing out the input gain as suggested here:

http://www.insanelym...3/#entry1919468

Problem is, it won't stay there. Everytime I reboot, it goes all the way back down.

Nevermind I didn't read the part about "Save settings of VoodooHDA.prefPane by adding /Applications/VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.app to Login Items".

It saves the settings now. :)

Edited by MegaloDon

@ MegaloDon

Good to see your audio sorted.....AFAIK your 780i MOBO uses the Realtek ALC888 codec/chipset......