nForce OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

217 posts in this topic

OK for information on the DSDT see the FAQ topic by iLeopod here.....note that he too says that a DSDT should not be required to boot OS X but you will need to use a DSDT.aml file for your graphics....

So, see post #4 in this topic.....and let me know how you get on.....

You can also extract your original DSDT.aml file off the PC using the Ubuntu Live DVD, plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and then go to the Terminal and type either

cd /media/"Volume name of the USB flash drive"
sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 11.xx and later, or

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 10.xx or earlier

In either case, the extracted DSDT.aml file should have been saved on the USB flash drive, for later decompiling, patching and recompiling using iasl or iasl based tools.

i've extracted dsdt file and placed in Extra folder. It's loaded at startup, verified. But same problem, the monitor turns on only if i remove all the nvidia geforce kext. Now i'm deleting the single files to see where is the problem. I have an EVGA GTX460 FPB, is it possible that it isn't supported?

@ XxXPachaXxX

As I said in a previous post, you need to now run IORegistryExplorer (Google is your friend) and use "Save a Copy As" to save your IOReg output as a "Username"Mac Pro.ioreg file, then send me a download link for this file and for your extracted DSDT.aml file....

Then I can modify your DSDT.aml file to hopefully sort out your GTX 460 operation......

@ XxXPachaXxX

I need to know how much VRAM your EVGA GTX460 FPB has in order to complete the DSDT patching for you....

I have PM'd you the patched DSDT.aml file......hope it works for you.......:)

Edited by verdant

• 2 weeks later...

If someone have my same issue (problems with gtx 460, black screen, monitor standby) it's caused by macpro3.1 system. U have to use MacPro5.1 or iMac

No need to mod nvidia kexts, full acceleration with stock drivers from ML 10.8.3 (QE/CI/OpenGL/OpenCL/CUDA). No need to mod AGPM.kext for EVGA Gtx 460 (no freezes).

• Like 1

@ XxXPachaXxX

Thanks for posting this helpful information......... :)

Also glad the patched DSDT with the NVCAP string from your extracted GTX 460 ROM is working well for you......:)

Edited by verdant
  • Like 1

Verdant, thank you again for patching my dsdt for me. I added it to my usb drive as well and installed mountain lion, which is working smoothly. And xxxpacha, thanks for the info about the system definition. My computer boots really slow though, it hangs on NForceATA: found 0 units and then eventually starts. So I'm assuming it's that kext. Is there any way around this that will speed up boot time? I'm using a 64 gb SSD but it takes about 5 minutes to start up and it's not detected as an SSD.

• 2 weeks later...

@ jamiethemorris

The SSD slow booting issue does not surprise me because the AppleNForceATA.kext was written by MeDevil in 2007/8, with no major re-writes since then as MeDevil is no longer active in the OSx86 hackintosh community AFAIK.....the 3GB RAM issue was resolved by slashack and the 64bit version provided by imk....also AFAI there is no fully functional SATA DVDRW read/write version of the AppleNForceATA.kext (32 or 64 bit) available.......for read/write an IDE (PATA) DVDRW set as Master using a 80-wire IDE cable is generally required.......

BTW it typically takes 1 to 2 minutes to boot OS X from a SATA HDD using the AppleNForceATA.kext.......

Thanks for the great info.

I tried the bootable DVD DL and it works great for my Gigabyte mobo. Still can't get it to boot on my EVGA 132-CK-NF78 (nForce 780i SLI SPP), but that's another story. I was wondering what it would take to add drivers, bootloaders, etc. to the options screen during install. It would be nice to be able to install Chameleon, etc. during install so you don't have to boot from another CD or Mac install in order to get it up and running.

Thanks

Hi Guys

While I have not managed to get ML working on my nForce 780i (I was the one with the Finder and OSX spinning wheel freezes during heavy hard drive use) I am having yet another go at it after Loosing my windows hard drive and not being too bothered about getting it back up... I have an nForce 780i with a GTX295 GPU, my reason for attempting again is that i changed alot of settings in the bios, some of which related to a post of yours verdant on the nforce sata kext, so that might be the thing that solves the freezing... if i can get the system up that is....

I have produced an installer hard drive on USB, In order to get the installer to work I had to move from the drivers that come with 10.8.3 (when you make the install image) and go to the ones from nVidia, (I think that version wise they are the same, but one set worked while the others didn't)

After installation completes I am unable to get the system to boot into ML, from its behaviour i think it is initialization of the gpu drivers that is causing the issue, but i am not sure exactly the path to take since I can only really modify the system if I use the Terminal in the installer disk.

I have changed the drivers, installed some kexts, generated kernel caches, but the furthest I can get it is the screen going black just when it trys to go into OSX.

Also for the graphics drivers, i don't get the usual "NVDN50Hal registered" message, I only get a message saying that the driver is being started... normally I think id need both. I also cannot find anywhere to add my device id, as the structure of the drivers seems to have changed and should technically work with all GPUs (maybe) Maybe i should try various versions of the nvidia drivers?

Any clues tips or tricks? I might prepare a lion installer and see what that does.

@ MegaloDon

Do you mean my bootable DL DVD procedure in Post #2 Parts E and F......?

I have never considered this given how slow installation from an optical drive is with OS X Mountain Lion and Lion......also, it was never my intention to go down the 'road' towards producing an automated installer nor a 'distro'........

I suggest you wait for Pandora Beta 2 to be uploaded.....see here.......

@ ErOSx86

Extract your original DSDT.aml file off the PC using the Ubuntu Live DVD, plug in a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive and then go to the Terminal and type either

sudo cat /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 11.xx and later, or

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > DSDT.aml

for Ubuntu 10.xx or earlier. In either case, the extracted DSDT.aml file should have been saved on the USB flash drive, for later decompiling, patching and recompiling using iasl or iasl based tools.

Boot OS X with -v -x and/or remove temporarily the Ge* and NV* kexts so that you can boot OS X in basic VESA mode and run IORegistryExplorer (Google is your friend) and use "Save a Copy As" to save your IOReg output as a "Username"Mac Pro.ioreg file, then send me a download link for this file and for your extracted DSDT.aml file....

Thanks verdant, will post up a link to the files as soon as I get them off the PC, I was actually thinking of removing all the Ge and NV kexts to have it boot up in VESA... I swear that GTX295 wasn't worth all the pain haha.

@ ErOSx86

Also let me have your PC's

lspci -nn 

output file and the full model details and amount of VRAM on your GTX295 graphics card.......as I may need to download its ROM file to get the NVCAP string for it......unless you made an archive copy of its ROM file using GPU-Z when your Windows OS HDD was running.....?

Here is a link to the files (hopefully they are ok)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jjw8wk

On the GPU, the VRAM is 1792MB It is an XFX nVidia GTX 295, it is the DUAL PCI version, unfortunately i didn't get the ROM but ill try and get the windows disk back up and extract it.

Little note that booting up with the nVidia drivers removed worked, system appears stable so possibly the changes bios side, might have helped (that said, not been up for that long so more testing required)

[EDIT]

Got the MBR fixed on windows and a screen shot from GPUZ

c94.png

and also the rom(s)

Default selected by windows

http://www.sendspace.com/file/unsxbu

Card Number 2 selected by windows

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ptm6fz

So infact they do have different bios versions (which is odd) I should try and flash them both to the same version? also ram of each is 896MB

Many thanks!

Eros

@ ErOSx86

The ioreg file was corrupted and I could not open it......

Also by "It is an XFX nVidia GTX 295, it is the DUAL PCI version", confirm that you mean it is the dual-PCB version, i.e. 798 MB x 2 VRAM......

I can confirm that it is the DUAL PCB version

896MB on each board

,... (Basically 2x 285s glued together i think.) Iv taken a look at the IOReg and it is indeed corrupted. I am getting hold of the current XCode version and will report back later (work calls! :( )

On the differences in rom, the first file is basically 1 version/subversion above the second. So there isn't a huge difference between the two. I left XCode downloading on the PC in question so should be ready to go this evening, apologies for the wait. Iv also never seen any crashing or strange behavour during windows and linux use or during heavy load such as OpenCL use. So i guess that it isn't an enormous problem

I guess the plan is to have chameleon load the rom file(s) and to get the drivers the recognize the device...

@ ErOSx86

What is your 780i audio chipset?

I have patched your DSDT.aml file for RTC DTGP TMR PIC LPCB, and when I get a fresh .ioreg file I can patch it for your graphics cards......

So the Audio is apparently an Azalia High Definition Audio (thats on the board) I actually have a PCI SoundBlaster X-Fi also, though i dont expect to ever have that thing working, causes enough problems in windows as it is... haha - will get on that IOreg file as soon as i get back.

Remind me what is your 780i MOBO brand.......as I have not seen it in your signature (unless I am blind)......

I believe that only the PCI-e Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi cards work with OS X........

• Like 1

@ MegaloDon

Do you mean my bootable DL DVD procedure in Post #2 Parts E and F......?

I have never considered this given how slow installation from an optical drive is with OS X Mountain Lion and Lion......also, it was never my intention to go down the 'road' towards producing an automated installer nor a 'distro'........

I suggest you wait for Pandora Beta 2 to be uploaded.....see here.......

I was wondering when someone was going to reply, then I realized I forgot to follow this topic. LOL

Yes to the first question.

I tried Pandora.app 1.12 Beta1 and it seems very promising. Thanks for the link!

As far as getting my nForce mobo working, every method I have tried either causes it to reboot just before it would get to the install part or it hangs at [ PCI configuration begin ].

Any ideas on which flags I should try when booting from DVD or flash drive?

I will add my system specs shortly in my signature.

@ MegaloDon

See Post #6 Issue 1.......also confirm

1. That in your BIOS you have set them according to my OS X settings template for 780i chipset MOBOs (see here in the section 'BIOS SETTINGS TEMPLATE FOR 750i, 780i, 790i and 790i Ultra NVIDIA nForce Series 7 MCP chipset based Intel CPU MOBOs'; especially:

RAID Enable [Enabled]

SATA 0 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 0 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 1 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 1 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 2 Primary RAID [Disabled]

SATA 2 Secondary RAID [Disabled]

to allow you to set the Serial-ATA Controller to [All Enabled].....this because when you set RAID Enable to [Disabled], all SATA functions are changed to Disabled.

2. That you have a IDE (PATA) DVDRW jumper-set and connected to the MOBO as Master via an 80-wire IDE cable; see here in the section 'CORRECT IDE (PATA) DEVICE JUMPER SETTING AND CABLE CONNECTING'

@ ErOSx86

I need to see the .ioreg file using IORegistry Explorer to see the full 'tree structure'........get hold of IORegExplorer v2.x and use only the 'Save a Copy As' option to save the file......