nForce OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) APP STORE DOWNLOAD INSTALL GUIDE on a Series 6 or 7 nForce chipset / Intel CPU MOBO

verdant

217 posts in this topic

See how you just underlined the word "and"? That is usually done when the word has been made into an html link.

Its very hard to figure out what is a link and what isnt a link with your post.

Also the splitting of parts makes no sense. 

Why not make a guide in steps

Example:

Step 1. download this

Step 2. do this

Step 3. make sure this is done

The very first step should be explaining how to install with no AHCI support. 

@ naythinjuromeh

Factually, the many positive comments on the usefulness of all my nForce guides for OS X 10.5.x, 10.6.x, 10.7.x, 10.8.x, and 10.9.x far outweigh the very few negative comments, such as yours.......in any event, no one is forcing you to read the guide, even less use it........

However, if and when you decide to read and follow what I have written, asking me for help by means of specific questions when you become "confused" or "stuck" at any stage in the guide, rather than saying "what you expect me to do" and "what you would have done in my place" and "what I should now be doing", remembering that I have given and continue to give freely of my time to help IM members in return for the help I have received/receive from other IM members, then I will respond to your posts to help you (even re-activating download links when required)......my help is a freely offered gift NOT an expected obligation!

• Like 3

Just because you see something underlined, does NOT mean it is a download link.  Underlining has been used in the English language to emphasize a word or words for centuries before the internet was invented.  If you move your mouse over a suspected link and it changes to a hand, it is most likely a link.  Don't criticize the guide because you assume that everything underlined or highlighted MUST be a link.

Also the "splitting" does make sense.  Something called sections or chapters, etc. also used for centuries in the English language.  Like I said before, not everything applies to everyone.  You first have to READ to see what part applies to you, and it TELLS you where to go next.  I think Verdant did a very good job trying to cover all possibilities for different users and I'm sure he is sorry he didn't tailor the process just for you.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

@ verdant It appears that LPC isn't loading for me properly anymore. I think it was before. The thing is, I can verify via kextstat that it does load... but it gives me these errors in the console: "LPC device initialization failed: C-state power management not initialized" and according to HWMonitor it's mostly stuck at 2.4 GHz. I'm on 10.8.5 now and as I'm sure you know 10.8.5 got the same change that 10.9 had where we needed to start enabling AppleLPC differently... I have tried loading it with LPC_Injector as well as DSDT, but I still get those errors. I have also tried autopatching LPC with Clover but it makes no difference. I have attached my DSDT. Thanks!

DSDT_LPC.aml.zip

@ jamiethenmorris

I will check it as soon as I get a chance......

All appears OK with your LPC, DTGP and HPET patches in your DSDT.aml but since you imply that you are using Clover rather than Chameleon as your bootloader, you should try with

<key>DropMCFG</key>
<false/>

Where true=yes and false=no in your Clover config.plist, or with the DropMCFG flag removed from it.......

Edited by verdant

@ jamiethenmorris

All appears OK with your LPC, DTGP and HPET patches in your DSDT.aml but since you imply that you are using Clover rather than Chameleon as your bootloader, you should try with

<key>DropMCFG</key>
<false/>

Where true=yes and false=no in your Clover config.plist, or with the DropMCFG flag removed from it.......

@ jamiethenmorris

<key>DropMCFG</key>
<false/>
Where true=yes and false=no in your Clover config.plist, or with the DropMCFG flag removed from it.......
Thank you, I will try that. It does this with chameleon too BTW. What does the mcfg table do and why would it be dropped by default?

@ jamiethenmorris

If it happens with Chameleon too, then first check if what I suggest solves it for Clover and if so then you need to check Chameleon Boot.plist versus Clover config.plist to see what ACPI tables are dropped or not......see here for more info.....

AFAIK for x86 and x64 the ACPI MCFG table determines address of each memory area.

@ jamiethenmorris

If it happens with Chameleon too, then first check if what I suggest solves it for Clover and if so then you need to check Chameleon Boot.plist versus Clover config.plist to see what ACPI tables are dropped or not......see here for more info.....

AFAIK for x86 and x64 the ACPI MCFG table determines address of each memory area.

For some reason I can only find documentation on how to drop the table, the dropmcfg=false thing seems to be deprecated as far as I can tell. However I looked at clover's debug.log and it appears mcfg is being loaded. Should I do the opposite and drop that table? The only other thing I can think of is that I have mcfg.aml from clover's acpi dump, so I could put it in the patched folder, or even patch the table, if I knew what to do to it...

@ jamiethenmorris

Have you tried with all references to MCFG removed from Clover config.plist?

I am guessing from your post that removing mcfg made no difference? Have you tried temporarily reverting back to a Chameleon with a Boot.plist  that generates C and P states and a DSDT with a fresh LPC section for your Dell XPS 720?

BTW on my MOBO with OS X 10.8.5

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x02)
{
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0xAE, 0x0A, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

works fine......

• 1 month later...

Well, you'll never believe what it was... I had a startup application that was pinning all CPU cores at 2.4 GHZ! For some reason I never had a problem with it until the 10.8.5 update. After removing that my CPU is stepping between 1.6 and 2.4 as it should. I still get that error message "C-state power management not initialized" in the console but I'm guessing I was getting it before and just didn't notice.

Good to hear that you are speed-stepping again.....:)

• 1 year later...

This AppleNForceATA is the only one that works with PATA (IDE) on Yosemite, that I've found.

Otherwise it's the old "still waiting for root device" routine.

It might work on others as well , Snow, Mountain, El Capitan, although AppleNForceATA-1.06 is apparently for El Capitan.

AppleNForceATA-1.0.5

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/304768-applenforceata-106/

Set Bios to AHCI.

Tested on an Asus P5N-MX with a 610i chipset.

PATA interface is "10de:056c" and is also called "MCP73 IDE".

SATA interface is "10de:07f4" for AHCI mode, and "10de:07f8" for RAID mode.

AppleNForceATA-1.0.5.zip

Asus P5N-MX (610i chipset) needs PCIRootUID=1 and probably npci=0x3000 for Nvidia graphics card (I'm using a Geforce 210), pretty typical for nvidia chipsets.

EFI graphics string can be generated in OSX86Tools

Main thing is to choose the right connections for your card ie DVI-I VGA or DVI-I DVI-I etc and the cards memory size.

add the string between <string> and </string> and put it all in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>device-properties</key> 
<string></string>

Sound needs a ALC662 VoodooHDA 

http://www.osx86.net/file/117-voodoohda-for-alc662/

I used OpenHaltRestart to avoid shutdown/restart/cmos reset problems.

Sleep may work with the USB device wakeup jumper set to S3 on the motherboard and S3 set in the bios and legacy usb disabled in the bios (otherwise it won't go to sleep and just hangs).

Sleep may also work with all USB disabled in the bios and a PCI NEC USB2 card used instead.

I get Sleep to work by enabling everthing in APM Configuration and disabling USB Legacy in the bios, and then waking Yosemite via USB using the USB Keyboard Space Bar (the power button might not work correctly as a wake up).

No DSDT is needed and any DSDT edits for PIC, TMR, HPET etc just result in sleep breaking.

Bios APM Configuration

------------------

Power On By PCI/PCIE Devices [Enabled]

Power On By External Modems [Enabled]

Power On By RTC Alarm [Enabled]

HPET Support [Enabled]

Power On By Keyboard [space Bar]

Power On By PS/2 Mouse [Enabled]

--------------

Ethernet works with nForceLAN (0.64.5) http://www.osx86.net/file/1942-nforce-lan/

nvenet.kext in the plugins folder of IONetworkingFamily wants to load as well as the nForceLAN kext, so nvenet.kext needs to be removed and the extension cache needs to be rebuilt (just drag the Caches folder in /System/Library to the trash and reboot.

Interesting things happens with the inbuilt nvidia video and a Geforce PCI-E card (Geforce 210).

NVDANV50Hal(Tesla) wants to load for the inbuilt nvidia video and also load for the Geforce PCI-E card, resulting in a black screen even though the EFI graphics string is right for the Geforce PCI-E card.

The nForceLAN kext loading seems to stop the inbuilt nvidia video being loaded by NVDANV50Hal, so then the Geforce PCI-E card can  get loaded by itself and function normally.

The best thing to do would be to add a device id for only your card to NVDAGF100Hal.kext or NVDAGK100Hal.kext or NVDANV50HalTesla.kext and don't add or allow any other device ids, forcing the nvidia kext to just load just for your nvidia PCI-E card.

ie

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>
<string>IOService</string>
<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
<string>
0x0a6510de&0xffe0ffff
</string>